Azshara Solstice's first show - Oct 16/17

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
This upcoming weekend is our first show. He turned 4 months today. I've been debating bringing him out so early, but the show really, really needed entries and this is the only show in October (in my area). He'll be traveling with his Mom as I'm bringing DD out again before breeding her as well. The show count is tiny, but I guess that will be a good thing for him. The rings will go fast and there will be fewer cats and spectators to spook him. I am sure hoping he takes to it, as he is my only show prospect for this year.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Poor Solstice. He didn't get any finals in his first 4 rings. I asked two judges for a critique afterwards and they said the white undercoat wasn't as clear as they'd like to see, but that structurally he was really nice. One judge said that he'd like to see him again in a few months to see how he matures. They both said that getting him out early was a good idea, so that he gets used to the show hall. At just barely 4 months old, he had some pretty bulky competition... (=

DD got two finals out of 4 rings, but she is such a little porker right now I am not surprised. She is off the kitten food, but hasn't gotten her svelte figure back yet.. and I will be breeding her soonish anyway.

Fun show tho, and I am glad I came down.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Glad you had fun, well done to DD.

Can be hard with kittens, we show from 12 weeks here so with them up against 8 or almost 9 month olds can be tough (9 months is adult)

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sohi sorry about the tough competition. I never expect young kittens 4-5 months old to get much - thankful when they do.

You will be happy to know there was a breeder with a silver Mau kitten and adult at the Cedar Rapids show - they got a few finals.

Jack only got one final - it was more/less the same cats as 2 weeks ago - competition has been VERY tough the past few shows. We won't show now till February (if we get our kitten) or April (Jack won't go to another show till then).

He's picked up a bit of weight and that's what is hurting him so we have to work on him a little and exercise him more.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by GoldenKitty45

He's picked up a bit of weight and that's what is hurting him so we have to work on him a little and exercise him more.
My chunky boy was called an Oci-fat by a judge
he's from a line of chunkier boys lots of exercise has helped him even though he's retired now.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
There were two Ocicats in the premier rings I was watching. I am sorry but I didn't pick up who they were from. I'll check the show calendar later. One was a chocolate silver! The redder one seemed to be doing consistently better tho, and I think his name was Rigel.

In 8 rings Solstice got no finals, but DD got 4 - a 7th, 8th, 9th and a 10th.. hehe. She is very out of shape and could have done better I know. I may bring her out after her litter. The show brought on a hard heat and I'll probably breed her when we get home.

I did find an Oriental Shorthair tho.. very exciting. It looks really good that he will be my new premier. I was told to speak to Caso Decano as she has awesome orientals, and when I did, she pointed me to a lady from Skan orientals. Amazingly, she had an ebony entered in premiership rings. I spent the day helping her when I wasn't busy with mine and I may purchase him in the next few weeks. My first time handling an Oriental or Siamese and man, they are muscular and much more solid than they let on. It's funny how things work out, my dream Oriental was a dark self coloured one, and you can't get much darker than ebony. He even has ghost tabby markings on his flanks that shine in the light. Very pretty cat.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, not sure how many times until I read my catalog, but an open took the top final in at least one ring. It was a blue point siamese from Casa Decano and the judges loved her to bits. I haven't seen that happen many times.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Branching out from the Maus? I've got several breeds I like but cannot take on another neuter (I have 3 Oci neuters), plus they don't capture me the same way as the Oci's do, being kept very busy breeding these lovely spotties too.

Originally Posted by Sohni

The redder one seemed to be doing consistently better tho, and I think his name was Rigel.
Redder
Perhaps Cinnamon or warm/hot chocolate.

Unfortunately the silvers don't seem to do as well in the US. So glad it's not that way here.

sohni

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Not branching out - just one alter to show and be a house pet. I think they are interesting cats. Right now I have only 4 cats in the house, and have some pet homes lined up for some of my breeding cats once they are altered. My brother is anxiously waiting for a retired smoke alter, but I told him he has to be patient.

Yep, I know the petting out of retired breeders is a tense subject on here, but rest assured that I have the best interests of my cats at heart.

Tribal Copper Mountain of Dayton - Cinnamon Spotted Male
Tribal Sky Pilot - Chocolate silver Spotted Male

Both in Championship, I guess I was getting confused between rings. First time I had to watch three classes all day. I had to be called three times for DD's final as I was watching my kitten in regular class down the hall. In between I was watching the Orientals in premiership.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Of course pet homes are needed for retired cats, you cannot move forward if you're keeping everything.
I think it's nice your brother wants one.

Hope you'll show pics if you get the Oriental