Azithromycin - URI

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all, I have a senior cat (Kori) about 14, maybe older. He has had a chronic URI for years (we adopted him about 4-5 years ago so he wouldn't be euthanized due to his age). This last November it got worse so we took him to the vet and he received an antibiotic shot and antibiotic meds for 10 plus days. It didn't work. In the mean time I lost two younger cats...both 7 years old. Maybe unrelated, maybe not. Anyways, a couple of weeks ago his breathing was so bad it sounded like someone was shredding paper. I would run the shower on super hot to give him steam but knew it was a temp fix. I called a mobile vet and he did bloodwork which checked out alright. He does have moderate kidney failure which we knew about. The mobile vet prescribed Azithromycin - 1/4 tablet for 5 days and then 1/4 tablet twice a week until gone. There were only 6 tablets. My husband gave him the 5 day regiment but he started to lose his appetite so we stopped. He was always a fussy eater and he is very petite for a male at 7.5 pounds (probably 6 pounds now). Now, he is not eating at all. The vet prescribed a a steroid to stimulate his appetite, which we are somewhat paranoid about because we might have lost one of our cats due to a steroid injection...jury's still out. So, now he is on prednisolone - topical. It is rubbed into his ear flap once a day. We were hesitant to do this but it was our only option because he wasn't eating and the vet said it should help. Except it's not. He's still not eating but he is drinking. We've tried everything we can think of.....his favorite food, warmed up, with water, lickables, baby food, treats, etc. We also run a vaporizer for him but he mostly hides in our closet which isn't a good sign. We don't know what to do anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions? He seems to be holding on. He was super interested in the baby food tonight but still nothing. It's soooo frustrating especially since we just lost two younger cats a month apart.

He is literally dying so if anyone has any advise it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Syringe feed him if you have to. I have a girl that I have to do that with periodically for about a week until her appetite kicks back in. She has a chronic respiratory problem that the vet diagnosed as a virus. I am thinking it is allergies though since it happens at the same time every year and no one else in the cattery gets it. Try an appetite stimulant (I think it is mirtazapine transdermal). Has he been checked for nasal polyps?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
So, now he is on prednisolone - topical. It is rubbed into his ear flap once a day. We were hesitant to do this but it was our only option because he wasn't eating and the vet said it should help. Except it's not. He's still not eating but he is drinking. We've tried everything we can think of.....his favorite food, warmed up, with water, lickables, baby food, treats, etc. We also run a vaporizer for him but he mostly hides in our closet which isn't a good sign. We don't know what to do anymore. Does anyone have any suggestions? He seems to be holding on. He was super interested in the baby food tonight but still nothing. It's soooo frustrating especially since we just lost two younger cats a month apart.

He is literally dying so if anyone has any advise it would be greatly appreciated.
He also might have mouth ulcers, due to his CKD...which you mentioned was moderate...which may make it painful for him to eat.
The Vet can prescribe a liquid type coating for that...if he has mouth ulcers...The liquid med looks 'milky'.
Not sure if the antibiotics, also changed the way things taste for him...or because of his URI...he cannot smell his food.

If you've tried everything 'strong and stinky smelling'...like tuna, sardines, or just used the juice as a topper for his wet food, then try some critical care A/D wet can food from the Vet. Add some water, warm it up...and make it into a slurry paste.
And yes, try to syringe feed, too.

The above lady's video, is so informative, detailed, and her explanations are so thorough.

Last edited:
  • Purraise
Reactions: tnl
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for the information and the video! We will try syringe feeding him today.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I know time is critical, now.
With CKD and URI...is has to be rough.

Not sure if you've read Tanya's Website...it has a lot of useful info there.
Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Persuading Your Cat to Eat
If you can just get your Kori back to eating, and over this hurdle.

So if it's okay, I'll just link three older threads, here, which have some further suggestions...like crumbling temptations treats on his food, as a topper, or using catnip on food, trying pedialyte, sprinking fortiflora on his food. Even home cooked chicken, or KFC...really anything...from kitten canned food...to sandwich deli meats. I'd be trying all those.
Cat has not eaten a normal meal in over a week
Getting a cat to eat
Post #6 in this thread, has some great tips:Managing senior kitty's early kidney disease, mild arrhythmia and moderate arthritis

Also, another video, which I found helpful. (this lady is so patient, knowledgeable, and kind, to share her experience on youtube.)

Last edited:
  • Purraise

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
How is he today? It's very possible that he's developed an immunity to the azithromycin. Have you tried Tobramycin or Gentamycin drops and Zenequin (antibiotic)?

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is very weak!! We are syringe feeding him KMR Kitten Milk Replacer Plus. I think the Azithromycin and now the steroid were too hard on his kidneys. We are weaning him off the steroid too.
We are just focused on getting him to survive from not eating so we are staying away from antibiotics for now...thanks for the info though!

Last edited:

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Did the mobile Vet mention an appetite stimulant at all?
Like Mirtazapine, which can be given as a transdermal gel, too.
The Anorexic Cat: A Breakdown of Appetite Stimulants
Though, I am not sure if the side effects would bother him, so maybe the Vet didn't suggest it.
I would call them, and ask.

(my cat was given the liquid suspension version, and did salivate alot, vocalize more, and restless,...but the first few times she took it, she was immediately hungry, ...after that, not. She was only 5yrs old then, and did have a semi blockage, which is entirely different to your Kori, though.)

Hoping your Kori is still drinking water on his own.
If not try and gently syringe some into his mouth, too.
Sending you all strong Health vibes....:vibes::vibes::vibes::tabbycat:

• Purraise

tnl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Did the mobile Vet mention an appetite stimulant at all?
Like Mirtazapine, which can be given as a transdermal gel, too.
The Anorexic Cat: A Breakdown of Appetite Stimulants
Though, I am not sure if the side effects would bother him, so maybe the Vet didn't suggest it.
I would call them, and ask.
No, he didn't....he suggested the steroid and when that wasn't working he suggested baby food. For now, we don't want to try any more meds but will keep it in mind. Thank you!
So far he is drinking water on his own - here's hoping that continues!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry for the loss of your beautiful Kori, T tnl :hugs: :rbheart: :grouphug:
What a handsome and gentle looking cat.

Bless you for adopting him, in his senior years, and looking after him.
He knew great Love and Caring, from you both. ❤
And you gave him extra time in the last 4-5 years..to show him that he was cared for and loved...which he might not have otherwise had.
Plus, he might have been older than those 14 years, like you said, so maybe it was just his time to go.

Even though your heart may be breaking, and sadness is part of Grief, ...just know that Kori is okay, ...and he would want you to be okay, too. Try to focus on the good memories with him, and not on how it all ended, or these past few weeks, or difficult months.
You basically did everything you could, for your sweet Kori, ..and he also knows that. :bluepaw:
I wish I had better words to say to you, better words of comfort...because you have gone through so many losses of now three cats in such a short span of time. It just does not seem right or fair,...mostly for the younger cats at age 7 that you lost...but now for Kori, too.

Sending you all Peace, Strength and Love, T tnl ,... as you have to go through the Grief of losing another well loved, and beautiful cat.
May you Run like the Wind, Kori, ...and join your fur crew in heaven or over the bridge, in the energy of the universe,...and may you look down, from time to time, on your human, and other fur family, too. :rbheart: :touched::grouphug: :hugs: ❤

• Love