AVMA to vote to take a stand against raw feeding

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
otto, I don't see Patrick Mahaney replying in any comments? And as I read the article, I didn't see the bias you pick up on? :dk: I didn't realize he was the author until I went looking for comments. He is VERY pro raw, and doesn't buy into the AAFCO "complete and balanced" stuff at all, so I don't know why you think the article is biased or he is against feeding raw. I quote him somewhat frequently here on TCS, in fact.

He's a holistic vet, and is the vet consultant for Jackson Galaxy's The Cat from Hell show. He's blogged extensively about nutrition and holistic healing, and this is what he posted on March 13 of this year, "In commemoration of National Animal Poison Prevention week:" http://www.petmd.com/blogs/thedaily...nion_animal_with_pet_grade_foods#.UB3E66MsHwM

The title of the piece is, "Are you Poisoning Your Companion Animal by Feeding Pet Grade Foods?"

And he closes the post with this:

The standards for nutritional content as dictated by Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO) create a challenge for pet owners who are interested in feeding home prepared foods, as society has been misled to believe that our pets will suffer detrimental health effects if protein, fat, carbohydrate, fiber, vitamin, and mineral ratios are not specifically commensurate with industry standards. In extreme cases, or with pets already dealing with illness, this has some validity. Otherwise, feeding a home prepared diet has many nutritional advantages over commercially available pet grade sources even if the home prepared version is not 100 percent "complete and balanced."

I would rather feed my dog a combination of moist, human grade, muscle meat protein, whole grains, and fresh vegetable and fruit options having a somewhat varying or unknown cumulative nutrient content rather than any commercially available dry or canned option made with pet grade ingredients. This perspective is controversial in the veterinary profession, but my beliefs are based on clinical experience and common sense.
OK - so he has a dog. I doubt he recommends feeding grains, veggies and fruits to cats. But he writes about dogs, because that's his passion.

Last edited:

auntie crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I totally heart Dr. Mahaney! In fact, I posted a comment to that article to which you linked, LDG, thanking him for his outreach efforts. He even took my scolding about ignoring kitty owners with good humor. Definitely one of the good guys!

AC

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
And this brings to mind something else I've noticed since this became a hot topic.... quite a few vets who were previously as blindly trusting of the PFI as their clients are of them have become aware of two things: the first, there are whole bunches more raw feeders than they ever knew and the second, the extraordinarily low opinion a growing percentage of pet owners hold for people in their profession.
SUCH a good point. I hope this gives MANY of them pause to think and reevaluate. :nod:

In fact, I'm sure this move by the AVMA is, in part, an attempt to stem the growing number of veterinarians who are recommending and/or supporting raw feeding.
VERY interesting. An attempt to nip the growing trend in the bud.

Well, one thing's for sure. Nestle-Purina with their prescription diets, would much rather see vets selling their food than recommending people feed raw. :lol3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I totally heart Dr. Mahaney! In fact, I posted a comment to that article to which you linked, LDG, thanking him for his outreach efforts. He even took my scolding about ignoring kitty owners with good humor. Definitely one of the good guys!

AC

:lol3: I rarely see him reference cats. I mean - I've seen some of his more recent blog posts about some of the cats on the show. But glad to hear he responded to the ribbing well. :clap: (I would expect no less from him!)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The comment by the author that I read this morning where he claimed to be against raw feeding is no longer there.

I thought the article used some clever wording to cast doubt on vets who recommend raw feeding. In his opening paragraph he all but calls raw feeding a fad. And his statement starting with "according to some veterinary nutritionists" sounded, to me anyway, as disparaging.

But...I could be wrong. Wouldn't be the first time. :lol3:

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm just going to have to say I have a very different take on the tone of the article. :)

I also can't imagine why PetFoodDirect.com would want to bash raw or have any vested interest in even "innuendo" that raw isn't a good thing. They sell kibble, canned, and raw, and I doubt they care what. In fact, I suspect they make better margins on raw, because of the shipping and handling charges. It's one of the few places I would think would be biased TO raw. :lol3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm just going to have to say I have a very different take on the tone of the article. :)
I also can't imagine why PetFoodDirect.com would want to bash raw or have any vested interest in even "innuendo" that raw isn't a good thing. They sell kibble, canned, and raw, and I doubt they care what. In fact, I suspect they make better margins on raw, because of the shipping and handling charges. It's one of the few places I would think would be biased TO raw. :lol3:
Okay, I'm glad to be wrong on this. :)

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Gang,
I'm new to this site. I just found this article, and I thought some of you would
find it quite interesting. Rather unfortunate, but interesting none the less. I'd
love to hear thoughts from fellow raw feeders who also love their kittys. I
apoligize if this is the wrong forum to post this in.

http://www.truthaboutpetfood.com/articles/very-bad-news-for-raw-feeders.html
It's been quite a discussed topic here in the raw forum.
I am a raw feeder, and all my vets back me up, and fully support me on my decision - they have seen first hand the changes that the diet have done to my babies, particularly to my IBD cat.
This policy has a lot to do, IMHO with the prescription food companies.
Not news to me.... Pisses me off, but I am not about to change my diet, or to stop helping people with raw feeding, and sharing my successes with it.
While anecdotal, I have three great success examples right here in my house, proving to me every day, why raw feeding is the right thing to do. I don't need anything more than that.

Last edited:

kittymeowmeow7

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That's good info Carolina, thank-you. Very cool of you to get me up to speed. A lot of friendly

people here, including the Moderators. That's quite rare. JCat kindly moved my post here, and

you took if from there. Me and my babies do appreciate everyones welcome to the community,

so thank-you.