Average Weight Of A 13 Wk Old Kitten

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I weighed my two kittens today as they haven't been weighed in a couple weeks and I found that the bigger of the two weighs just over 4.5 pounds and this seems a little big to me? All the charts I have seen have shown that to be 'overweight' but I didn't think kittens could be overweight.

The other weighed in at 3.9 pounds, which I'm not too worried about.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It really depends on the kitten's frame and genetics. A kitten who will grow into a bigger kitten will weigh more at an earlier age.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It really depends on the kitten's frame and genetics. A kitten who will grow into a bigger kitten will weigh more at an earlier age.
Okay, should I not worry then? Fred (the heavier one) does seem to have a bulkier build to pan and even though it's only a 150g difference, you can really tell the difference when you pick them up. I do have a vet appointment on thursday where they'll be weighed for their flea treatment so I guess I'll see if he brings it up.

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It does not sound like anything to worry about. :)
Okay, thank you. I'm a first time cat dad (excluding the cat I had growing up) and I feel like I worry about every little thing

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it. I have two kittens (siblings). At 16 weeks, one is around 4.5 lbs, but the other is huge. I'm getting a new scale so don't have accurate weights yet, but she feels around 5.5-6 lbs. I think she has a big breed in her (like maybe lion, lol)
It is entirely possible that yours have different fathers or maybe even a recessive gene in there. I really don't know how recessive genes work in cats though.

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry about it. I have two kittens (siblings). At 16 weeks, one is around 4.5 lbs, but the other is huge. I'm getting a new scale so don't have accurate weights yet, but she feels around 5.5-6 lbs. I think she has a big breed in her (like maybe lion, lol)
It is entirely possible that yours have different fathers or maybe even a recessive gene in there. I really don't know how recessive genes work in cats though.
I have no idea how any genetics work. I read somewhere on here that boys get their colouring from mom yet she was full orange and neither of these have orange except for very faint stripes down their backs. I call them their racing stripes

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have no idea how any genetics work. I read somewhere on here that boys get their colouring from mom yet she was full orange and neither of these have orange except for very faint stripes down their backs. I call them their racing stripes
I don't even think that their orange really is orange? I've only noticed it since they got their last jabs and I've been taking them outside. It has been really sunny recently and my childhood cat used to go almost completely orange in the sun. Like a tan, I used to be fascinated by it as a kid. My childhood cat was completely black and these guys have full black and black and brown stripes backs

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't even think that their orange really is orange? I've only noticed it since they got their last jabs and I've been taking them outside. It has been really sunny recently and my childhood cat used to go almost completely orange in the sun. Like a tan, I used to be fascinated by it as a kid. My childhood cat was completely black and these guys have full black and black and brown stripes backs
I wasn't taking about color genetics. I used to breed miniature horses and a recessive gene could make the foal larger than the registry allowed. Not often, but it does happen. (especially with appaloosa)
Don't know if this can happen in kittens as well.

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wasn't taking about color genetics. I used to breed miniature horses and a recessive gene could make the foal larger than the registry allowed. Not often, but it does happen. (especially with appaloosa)
Don't know if this can happen in kittens as well.
I know, it was just the only part of genetics that I knew about but didn't understand

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is how the difference in weight can go. Both, same age. They are siblings
Onsa 3.7 lbs
Samai 5.5 lbs
(Just got a new digital scale)

So I wouldn't be concerned about your two at all. As long as they are healthy.

Ashouldnt

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is how the difference in weight can go. Both, same age. They are siblings
Onsa 3.7 lbs
Samai 5.5 lbs
(Just got a new digital scale)

So I wouldn't be concerned about your two at all. As long as they are healthy.
Okay, thank you. I actually weighed mine because I got a new digital scale

MoonRockyMistyMuffin

I love cats but I'm not lonely
Young Cat
Purraise
I have two 14-week old kittens at the moment. Misty weighs 4 pounds and Muffin weighs 3 pounds.
(they were weighed by a vet)

Oscar&Copper

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Oscar was weighed at the vet a couple weeks ago. At 12 weeks old he was 4.2lbs, my 19 week old Copper was almost 8lbs. My vet was pleased with both their weights. Kittens grow fast! Worry not, you're raising healthy kittens.