Average Price of Microchipping?

gratefulbear629

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Sammie5

Microchipping is cheaper to have it done when they are being neutered. The actual cost of the microchip is the same, but they don't have to charge for extra time. My vet prefers to do it when the cat is under anaesthetic.

One of my cats is microchipped (got her from the SPCA), the other isn't. Both also wear collars with tags, and they are registered at "Get me Home .com", which is printed on their rabies tags. Both also walk on a harness and leash. It took a few sessions to get them used to it, but they know that they can't go out without the harness, so they put up with it. They don't walk so much as meander through the garden, but I am in control of where they can't go.

I never leave them outside alone, though, even with the harness. Both are escape artists, and I have yet to find the harness that they can't get out of. And I wouldn't want to leave them anyway, I live on a busy downtown city street with all sorts of people walking through.
I think it's also nicer (to the cat) to have it done while they are under anesthesia. I've seen them and it is one honking needle!! I don't think I'd be brave enough to be microchipped!