Average Kitten Size/weight?

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I have a 3.5 month old Siberian kitten. I feel like he is waaaaay huge for his age. What’s the average weight/size for a 3-4 month old kitten? My cat is like 1.5 feet long or more (not counting the tail). I included a picture. Is he above average in size? His head is baby small but I feel like his body is HUGE, or is this a normal size kitten? He’s my first cat. :)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The general rule of thumb with cats is one pound per month up to about six months. Then they slow down and will usually end up adding about half their six month weight.

However.... You have a Siberian. If he is purebred those averages go way out the window because they are large breed. The best one to check with in that case is your breeder. But off the top of my head I'd say double whatever is normal. Meaning two pounds a month and at 3 months old I'd expect him to be the size of a six month old domestic cat. Do keep in mind that fluff can be decieiving in size. I wouldn't be surprised if under the fluff his body is more proportional to his head

Last edited:

1CatOverTheLine

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The general rule of thumb with cats is one pound per month up to about six months. Then they slow down and will usually end up adding about half their six month weight.

However.... You have a Siberian. If he is purebred those averages go way out the window because they are large breed. The best one to check with in that case is your breeder. But off the top of my head I'd say double whatever is normal. Meaning two pounds a month and at 3 months old I'd expect him to be the size of a six month old domestic cat. Do keep in mind that fluff can be decieiving in size. I would be surprised if under the fluff his body is more proportional to his head
CurlyEmy CurlyEmy - Kieka Kieka 's "off the top of my head," is about on the money. As the old meme suggests, "Big Cat Is Big," and it applies to Siberians, Maine Coons and Norwegian Forest Cats equally. Cold-climate Big Breed cats have to be prepared for their first Winter, hence they grow quickly their first nine months, and often experience later 'growth spurts' through their fourth or even their fifth year.

Bob - my now 36 pound, 45 inch NFC - went through five cans a day for his first several years here. I'd guess - with his great start in Life - that your beautiful Bambi will be a big fellow in four or five years' time. mightyboosh mightyboosh @sabian and @Boris Diamond - what say you?

Last edited:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, his fluff is deceiving. When my cat was shaved for surgery it was a shock to see how much all taht hair makes a difference. Even the short hair on a leg makes it twice as big.
Your cat is from a large breed, so large he will be. Feed him as much as he wants so he reaches his true potential. Weight is really not a factor, just so you can feel his ribs through all that hair, he is normal, and for the first year don't worry about it. Large breeds take longer to grow to full size, so he won't be as big as he can until he is about three years old.
Beautiful baby, I hope you have many years of sharing your life's journey with him!