Average Cat Size??

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is random, but out of nowhere I started thinking, what exactly is the average size for a cat?? I have 2 kittens that are 11 and 12 lbs- the larger looks like "average" to me and the smaller one looks petite but is only a little smaller than him. My old man (in my profile, RIP) was a big boy (without being a "big" breed) at 14 lbs at his heaviest, and mostly long legged. He was 12 lbs when he passed away last year. The family cat I grew up with was a DLH (never knew his weight) that towered over my mini poodle (who was big for a mini, and the cat's parent's were HUGE, similar to MC's).

I've just been watching the kittens play and realized, I don't think I know what an "average" size is. They seem small/ average to me, but I may just be used to big boys. The barn cats at work are definitely smaller, and they are all females while I have somehow only owned males. I'd call my "little guy" small, and the vet techs were surprised that he weighed as much as he did (no fat).

So now I'm curious- what would be considered the average size? What would you consider small, or exceptionally large?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It may be subjective and based on each person’s experience, but I’d say that cats seven pounds and under are small. To me, a cat that’s 16 pounds or more would be large. That’s assuming the cat isn’t overweight.

The eight cats I’ve had over the past 45 years have ranged from 6.5 lbs. to 12 lbs. The exception to that is Lily who was, at one time, 14 pounds, but she was fat. She’s now about 10.5.

The other two are a good weight for their frames. Iris is taller and longer than Mocha, but she weighs less at 9.25 lbs. Mocha has a smaller, stockier frame and weighs about 9.75, but she’s not overweight.

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think 10-12 pounds would be average. Assuming the cat wasn't particularly thin boned and tiny.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cats are 7,8, and 8pds. Peaches has a small frame. Light as a feather. Coco is a little bigger. Maggie is long and skinny with curvy hips. Like a mini leopard. Athletic build. My other 2 cats do not get along with her partly because she is bigger. Josie was 11 pds before she got ill

Elphaba09

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think that is on the bigger side of average, but still average. We have nine cats of various sizes, with one having suspected larger breed ancestry. Our smallest is Freya who is about 4 years old and averages about 5 lbs. Our biggest is a Fennimore (almost 6) who last weighed in at 16.8 lbs. (His sister, Willow, is our second smallest at just under 7 lbs.) We suspect our baby Silas who is 9-months old will be our biggest. He is taller and longer than all our other cats, but he is currently on the thin side, and I am unsure of his weight. The rest of our cats are 9-13 lbs.

This is Freya and Fennimore with the same book.

Last edited:

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Based on my experience, I would say 10 to 12 lbs.

Our last cat weighed 8lbs.

Greg and arnold are our biggest ever at 20 and 23 lbs, but they are not built like any cats we have every had before.

20190308_104011-1.jpg

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Demi has been 12 pounds forever, so I guess that's going to be his normal weight. Maggie is about 10 or 11 pounds.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that is on the bigger side of average, but still average. We have nine cats of various sizes, with one having suspected larger breed ancestry. Our smallest is Freya who is about 4 years old and averages about 5 lbs. Our biggest is a Fennimore (almost 6) who last weighed in at 16.8 lbs. (His sister, Willow, is our second smallest at just under 7 lbs.) We suspect our baby Silas who is 9-months old will be our biggest. He is taller and longer than all our other cats, but he is currently on the thin side, and I am unsure of his weight. The rest of our cats are 9-13 lbs.

This is Freya and Fennimore with the same book.

LOL I like the book for scale. I also like your quote- reminds me of my late Irving, who I felt was more of a familiar than a pet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Diana Faye

Adult Cat
Purraise
Based on my experience, I would say 10 to 12 lbs.

Our last cat weighed 8lbs.

Greg and arnold are our biggest ever at 20 and 23 lbs, but they are not built like any cats we have every had before.

View attachment 282920
Your guys look exactly like the cat I grew up with! He was a beast of a kitty.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They look like kings of all they survey. Do they ever romp like kittens? It must shake the house! :)
Dont want to hijack thread, but YES they do play like kittens! They hop and leap around playing with sticks, or leaves or a bug they have found.

They gallop full speed around the yard and in the house. One will start running and the other chases.

They wrestle and roll around with each other, both in the house and outside. They take turns being on the bottom, while the other "attacks".

When I am in the basement and the cats are playing upstairs, it literally sounds like 2 small children playing in the house.

They make me laugh and smile so much my face feels alive again.

20190112_065503.jpg