Automatic litter boxes??

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A few weeks ago I got an automatic litter box for Jake. It's the scoop free with crystal litter. I am torn about it now- it seems like Jake will use it but he doesn't LOVE it. A few times he has tracked poop outside of the litter box because he wants to jump out as soon as possible. Also, the "trays" that it comes with are like $45 for 3 of them, and with one cat they are supposed to last 30 days, but within 10 days there was such a strong acidic urine smell I had to change it, so it ends up being pretty pricey. I guess the cost isn't as big of an issue, but man I don't want him uncomfortable using it....Have you guys had any luck, or experiences with those?

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had 2 LitterMaid boxes. The first lasted about 6 years. The 2nd only lasted 2 and it was more noisy. When that box died DH said no more & we got 2 deep traditional boxes. (One of our girls pees kind of high & on the side so we needed something deeper anyway.)

We used the traditional clumping litter. One of our cats doesn't like her brand changed so I'm glad we were able to stay with that for her. I do miss having the box cleaned after every use. It allowed us to get away with only 1 box for 2 cats. Almost as soon as we switched to traditional boxes one of my girls started using 1 for pee & 1 for poo. :rolleyes: I doubt we could go back to just 1 now; but 3 is the ideal recommendation anyway. :)