Automatic Litter Box Experiences?

caileexkitty

Just Kitten Around
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I have a kitty about to turn 1 this month, and I neeeeed an automatic scooping litter box to help me with daily scooping. I try to scoop her box once every 3 days, but being a full time college student, working 5 days a week and preparing to move soon is keeping me so busy I can barely see straight. I've been looking into automatic litter boxes on Amazon, but none of the reviews have me sold on a certain model. I only personally know one person who owns an automatic litter box, but I feel like I need more opinions. Anyone have any suggestions? Which boxes have you tried & loved, or tried & hated? I'd really hate to spend $100 on a product that I'm going to regret later.

Thanks in advance. :lovecat:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I found this site with automatic litter box reviews, https://www.catfooddispensersreviews.com/best-8-automatic-cat-litter-box-comparison-chart/

Here is a forum posting that might help Litter Robot for skittish cats

Every cat is a little different though so that does come into play. I would make sure to check the refund, return and exchange policy of wherever you buy it and take advantage of it should it not work out. Personally, because I have had such good experiences with them and they are very consistent in customer service, I would contact Chewy.com and ask what their policy would be if you bought it through them and it didn't work out first.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Since you only have time to scoop once every three days, I think that an automatic litterbox would be the best option, since twice daily scooping is the usual recommendation. That being said, you can learn a lot about your cat's health by watching their litterbox habits (if they're constipated or have diarrhea, are urinating too much or not at all, if there's worms or blood in the feces), so I'd advise to just be sure to look at what the box has scooped, just to be sure that everything's okay.

Ceracera

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have a petsafe Simply Clean. I'd say it's the best one if your budget is under $100. It really does the job well and you basically empty out the waste receptacle.

But I actually don't think automatic boxes make things completely hassle free- they all have their pros and cons. With the Simply Clean, the motor tends to burn out. You also have to make sure there's no litter stuck under the bowl and ends up burning the motor out faster (and with the way it's designed, litter ALWAYS gets under the bowl). Oh and since it moves waste up a conveyor, poop gets exposed to air and *can* stink up your house if lots of cats use it.

One of my friends had a littermaid, which was really noisy and every time it scooped up the clumps, it'd open up the waste receptacle and release the smell.

Honestly, if I could choose any automatic box, I'd go for the Litter Robot... it really seems to be the best. But unfortunately, it isn't available where I live, so warranty and parts would be a huge issue.

But whatever box you choose, try to use a fast-clumping fine litter. They all use some kind of plastic rake or sifter, so if the litter is too big, they'll clog. And if doesn't clump hard or fast enough, you'll get poop stuck on the plastic.

Last edited: