Automatic Food Feeders

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Smokie likes to graze which is fine for him, but Faith needs to loose weight. I had thought about getting an automatic feeder which I could then time when food was released and how much. But not sure if that would work with 6 cats or not. I don't want to spend the $$ if it's not going to work the way I need it to. Does anyone use an automatic feeder that has multiple cats? If so how do you have it set up?

What I wish they had, but don't think they make it, is something that distinguishes between cats. Like I could put a collar on faith that had a chip in it that would be recognized by the feeder. It would tell the feeder that she can only eat at certain times and eat a certain amount. And The other cats would have a collar on them that would tell it that they can eat whenever they want. That would be nice...but if they did make it, I'm sure it would bey WAY too expensive.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are very inexpensive gravity feeders at the local mass merchant or grocer... I use one occationally with my boys and it works well( mine holds roughly 3 days of food for them)

For the item your asking about Petsmart.com has them on special from time to time for about 30 $ for one that had three or five slots and times... amazon is another

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I'll check those out. I did some searching, but came up with some that were for one cat only. I may have to buy like two three slot feeders since I have 6 cats.

javern

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
they make pet doors that will only open for the cats wearing a special collar, you could put that door on a feeding station or a room, Faith wouldn't have the collar and couldn't get in and would have to be fed separate

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mizmelzy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks. That's an idea! I'll have to look into that. Right now I just put the food up on a platform that the other cats can jump up on. Faith can't because she's too chubby yet. So that will work until she looses enough weight to be able to jump up on it
But I will check into the cat door. I like that better
Thanks!