Aunty Let My Cat Out On Purpose

sprinkle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I recently started keeping my 2 cats inside. They were fine & happy.
My mom works for the police dept. and says they can't do anything about it.
She's done multiple things to my pets that I would consider abuse.
One thing in particular was that when my cats were indoor/outdoor she would feed them without my permission until they would get overweight.
I spoke to the Humane society & they said that it's not abuse.

I had a locator on her collar & my aunt took the remote when she let her out.

Chibisaurus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm so sorry to hear that.
Have you tried posting a lost cat ad on places like Facebook (For your local area), Craigslist, ect.

Have you talked with your aunt about this?

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Do you live with your aunt? Or does she just live near by? Have you talked to her about this? Unless she is actually doing something that is intentionally harming the cats then the police and Humane society are right, there's not much they can do. If she doesn't live with you can you lock your house so she can't come over when you aren't there and let your cats out? Or if she does live with you is it possible to keep the cats locked in a room when you aren't home if she doesn't or refuses to understand that you don't want the cats out? It's up to you to keep your cats safe and inside if people are feeding them, or doing anything to them, that you don't want them to.

The only thing I can see as being a crime is stealing the collar remote, you could have her charged with theft if she doesn't return it. If she is doing other things to your pets that is actually abusive, maybe you can get it on camera? Proof of animal cruelty? Then the police and the humane society can do something.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sprinkle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've talked to her many times. She lives with me.

I can't prove that she took it though.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it possible to get a new collar remote that's properly attuned for your cat's collar?

You say your aunt lives with you. Does this mean that you own or rent the house and your aunt is there because you're being nice to her, or does it mean that your parents own or rent the house you all live in? If it's your house, not your parents' house, you have the right to evict your aunt if she refuses to follow house rules, including the rules you set for how your cat is to be treated.

I feel bad asking this question, but I think I need to: Does your aunt hate your cat, or you? My husband's grandmother once took his dog a long ways away (we don't know how far) and dumped her, then told my husband his dog had "run away." The dog eventually found her way home, and was overjoyed to be there, making it quite obvious that she hadn't run away (a story that my husband had never believed in the first place). The grandmother hated the dog. We had house guests who let my cat Floppy out. They hated both Floppy and me. Anyone who does something like this has a toxic personality. Stealing the remote makes it incredibly obvious that your aunt is actively trying to get rid of your cat.

Margret

Last edited:

sprinkle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mom & her siblings inherited the home so it's theirs.
Moving out is out of the question since rent is expensive.
She hates me & has a toxic personality.

Thanks for your help.

sprinkle

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You need to directly sync the tag with the remote so I can't.

Margret

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Okay, as I understand it your cat recently transitioned from being an indoor/outdoor cat to being an indoor only cat, is that correct? If so, your cat knows where home is. Do all the basic things we do to find lost cats (see this thread: Should I Still Be Hoping My Missing Cat Will Come Home? for hints, and, yes, I know it's a very long thread), because she may indeed be lost, but my guess is that she'll show up on her own and wonder what all the fuss is about. And once you've retrieved your cat get a new remote and attune it properly, and then hide it!!! And you may want to have a little talk with your parents about the way Auntie is treating you and your pets, because they're enabling that behavior. Additionally you may want to follow the locked room suggestion.

I hope this helps.

Margret