Audrey won't leave my room

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Audrey is a rescue,

She was a friend's cat and I saw her being neglected so I stepped in and volunteered to take her. Pointing out that she was getting matted and had begun to have accidents to get attention from her master. Her Owner reluctantly but happily gave her over knowing that with baby and new husband who was alergic it was the best thing to do.

I knew Audrey had no health problems except for being overweight, matted and somwhat ignored. So intigration could start without worried about communicable diseases.

She stayed in my room for 2 day before I opened the door to the outside world. She was comfortable to be in my room with me and used her littler and ate appropriately.

When I opened the door to the outside world Jasper of course needed to introduce himself. There was a tiny bit of hissing on Audrey's part but it went well none the less. Now Jasper and Audrey share the window cill in my bedroom.

The problem is that Audrey dosn't leave my room without me carying her. If I put her down she runs back to the bedroom. I have tried lureing her out with treats and praise but she gets maybe 2 feet out the door and turns back no matter what tasty treats I have.

I have been gradually introduceing Kyra our dog to her. Rubbing Kyra's scent on a towel and putting it in my bedroom where Audrey has no choice but to smell it. I have taken Audrey's scent to Kyra and honestly Kyra seems curious but not agressive.

Kyra is quite large but she is a big teady Bear.

I was thinking about puting the cat harness on Audrey and taking her for a walk down the hall and maybe into the kitchen. I don't want to tramatize her but I think she needs to get out of my room in order to have a healthy life.

Any advice would be great.

Oh and when I say Audrey is compleetly comfortable in my room I mean she acts like she owns the place, rolling around exposeing her belly, laying on and in my bed, climbing the cat tree, loungeing in the window all of it.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please don't force her out of there.
And for the dog intro, it's definitely the dog that needs to be on the leash, not Audrey.

As I'm sure you know, cats are territorial. She's made the bedroom "hers," and this is a good thing! And as she and Jaspar get along just fine, I have to assume that it's the scent of the dog that's making her want to run back to her safe space.

Some of our rescues take months to feel comfortable moving around. Chumley, a year later, is still uncomfortable sometimes.

There is absolutely no need to push this. She'll come out when she's comfortable and ready.

felinemama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Many years ago, I had a cat just like Audrey. I would guess that she feels safe only with you. I'm sure her past (being a rescue) created this. She fears anyone but you. My cat, Sam also a resucue took weeks before leaving the security of my room. Audrey will come around in her own time. I would also advise not introducing her to your dog at this time. Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sibohan2005

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE:

Audrey ventured into the Hallway today (in the daylight!!) Unfortunately she was scared back into my room by Kyra walking down the hall.... But it's a step in the right direction! I am trying to encourage her when she comes out by giving her praise and pets. Soon she will rule the house!