Attracted to Bengay??

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I was in a car accident last weekend, no worries i survived, and my left shoulder is left a bit sore. Applied Bengay to my shoulder. I was lounging on the couch and Neko came up to me from the back of the couch and she started licking the part of my shirt covering the shoulder!! I would push her away and she would force her way back to smell and lick. No worries, I put her down and distracted her away from my shoulder; I also put away the tube of Bengay where she cannot reach. So what is it about Bengay that attracts Neko?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's pretty common. The menthol in it, iirc, is what's attracts the cats.

I have one that gets creepy if we use any menthol type rubs - he'll stalk you with a really intense look on his face.

katkisses

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That is funny!

Mine just make that funny face that they make when they are using their Jacobson's organ, like it stinks. I on the other hand loooove the way bengay, vicks, and other menthols smell! lol.

nanner

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two of my previous cats used to go crazy for Bengay and Vicks. Larry doesn't even seem to notice it!

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tolly is my menthol/camphor addict. He LOVES the smell of vicks (and my toothpaste)

A few years ago I was using the vicks on a sore calf muscle. Before I could stop him, Tolly jumped up, put his paws on my leg and took a long loving lick. AACCKK!

He went berserk of course tearing around the room drooling, around and around, I finally caught up to him and tried wiping the drool and syringing his mouth. He finally felt better, so whats the first thing he did?

Have a wash of course, and the stuff was on his paws! So the whole thing started all over again.

However he still cannot resist the smell, but is careful not to lick. (I use it at night because my sinuses get so stuffed up)

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ari loves the smell. Even after washing my hands, he will rub against them and then start chewing on them.

Our big time Bengay lover was York. Mom and Dad would message each other before work and then York would start licking it off Dad. After Dad could get his undershirt on, York would go over to Mom's nightgown (lying on the bed) and start kneading it with a look of utter bliss.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

Tolly is my menthol/camphor addict. He LOVES the smell of vicks (and my toothpaste)

A few years ago I was using the vicks on a sore calf muscle. Before I could stop him, Tolly jumped up, put his paws on my leg and took a long loving lick. AACCKK!

He went berserk of course tearing around the room drooling, around and around, I finally caught up to him and tried wiping the drool and syringing his mouth. He finally felt better, so whats the first thing he did?

Have a wash of course, and the stuff was on his paws! So the whole thing started all over again.

However he still cannot resist the smell, but is careful not to lick. (I use it at night because my sinuses get so stuffed up)
Oh, poor baby!!!!! So he learned a hard lesson!!

blueyedgirl5946

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

It's pretty common. The menthol in it, iirc, is what's attracts the cats.

I have one that gets creepy if we use any menthol type rubs - he'll stalk you with a really intense look on his face.
When Max was living he would do the same thing. I thought I would have to run from him.

kailie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Too funny!

Elliott is obsessed with the hand soap we use in the bathroom. He rubs his face all over my hands and is very adamant about it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wow! Glad I don't have a crazy kitty. I told my mom about this yesterday and she was like, "you just have a weird cat!" Neko does many odd things... but I'm not alone on this one! So its the menthol, I figured it had something to do with the minty smell; she is obsessed with cat nip afterall

Thanks for the responses and the giggles!

mystik spiral

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Holland loves the menthol smell too. She always gets in my face sniffing when I'm brushing my teeth, rinsing with mouthwash, or just now right after I put some blistex on my lips...
She's never licked anything, she just looooooves to sniff.

sassyging

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
PJ and Otto attack me.. Tonight I had to apply Bengay to my forearm and PJ jumped down from his cat tree and attacked me.. He bit my boob.. OUCH!!! lol

I went looking for what causes them to go from little Angels to Demons!!! LOL I love my kitties!! They are hilarious!!

growlithe66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My mother has a cat that absolutely hates it, and will attack viciously if she smells it, even following you. One time she wasn't doing it so we made a video with her phone, and as we were recording, literally right after I said "see, she's fine!" she latched onto my hand and went wild! It was hilarious.