ATTN DOG/CAT OWNERS: i need reviews/comments on pet hammock/car seats.

mscatamaran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
When we have to take Odessa to the vet (or anywhere else) one person usually just holds her and the other person drives. I've never been able to get her in a carrier (yes I know, you're thinking, "What could be so bloody difficult about pushing a cat inside a carrier). My usually friendly and sweet cat becomes a weapon when I have tried so this is how I have to do it.

Please spare the comments on how unsafe it is if we were to get in a car wreck. I'm well aware and until YOU try to get her into a cage/carrier/small space, you really will not have a clue on how terribly difficult is it. You would freak!

I wanted to try and see if she'd like a pet hammock rather than sitting on my lap. They're usually for dogs but I think she'd quite like it. The trouble is that there are so many and I don't even know which ones to put on my short list.

She has her claws, she can't jump, and is mostly nocturnal. What have been your experiences with certain brands? For those of you with small dogs, do you like these single seats or the hammock style better?

orientalslave

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Having seen a small dog running frantically up the side of a main road after a minor accident, I would never ever take an unrestrained cat in a car. 

Have you tried a top-loading carrier?  They are much, much easier with a reluctant cat than a front-loader.  If she likes looking out the wire ones might work well.

To put the cat in you pick it up by the scruff with a hand around it's front or back legs, lower it in, unhook as necessary and continue to hold the scruff as you shut the lid and slid your hand out.

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you tried to get her used to a carrier? by leaving one out at all times even without the top on to start with, feeding or giving treats in there.

Agree with the method OS mentioned, you could also try a larger dog crate if it's the smaller space she's not liking - though a carrier should be roomy enough to stand, stretch and turn around in.

Just not worth the risk to me letting her loose in the car (and also illegal here anway)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mscatamaran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes i know how to scruff a cat. trouble is she riggles out of it. i can appreciate what you both are saying but you did exactly what i asked replyers not to do. Plus you didn't actually answer my post.

melesine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Put her in a carrier. I'm surprised any vet would accept you to bring in a cat that isn't in a carrier, I've been in offices where it flat out says all dogs on leashes and cats in carriers required. 

Just swaddle the cat in a towel to get her in. 

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
<-- Yup, I also do not use a cat carrier, Tessie goes for rides in the car all the time and loves it.

I do not allow her outside in my car without a harness and leash though.  I then tie the leash to the back seat so she can move around freely on the seats.  I have been doing this with her since she was a kitten so she is VERY use to it.

I actually got a dog about 6 months ago and got one of those hammocks for the back seat, I hated it and so didnt my cat and dog.  They would slide around on it with every turn I made.  I ended up secure a towel down on top of it so both the dog and cat had something to hold onto. I also sometimes put Tessie's bed in the car, makes them more comfortable I think :).

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've never been able to get her in a carrier (yes I know, you're thinking, "What could be so bloody difficult about pushing a cat inside a carrier). My usually friendly and sweet cat becomes a weapon when I have tried so this is how I have to do it.
I just wanted to say I know exactly what you mean. My roommate's ex's cat was the same way. He was the sweetest little 10lbs of fur you've ever seen, but it took my roommate and I 20 minutes to shove him into a carrier once. I never would have believed it without seeing it.

nerdrock

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have a dog that will willing go into a carrier/crate, she even sleeps in it 90% of the time but the minute you put it in the car she starts whining and howling. I've tried to just keep driving and ignore her (once on a 10 hour trip, another time on a 12 hour trip) and she just keeps going. You can't turn the music up loud enough to drown her out, it's incredibly distracting and by the end of most trips she's hoarse. I ended up getting a barrier for my car so that I can put them in the back (I have a hatchback) and they can roam around but can't get to the front. They make them for cars as well, it might be something worth trying for your cat. 

Another option would be to get a harness for her and a tab leash (very short leash for big dogs). You pull the seatbelt until the restraint lock kicks in (as if you were putting in a car seat), then put the handle through the seatbelt and snap the seatbelt in. Hook the harness to the leash and voila! You can do it with a bit longer leash too, I would just make sure that whatever leash you use isn't long enough that if she were to go flying if you were in an accident she'd get hurt. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mscatamaran

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
<-- Yup, I also do not use a cat carrier, Tessie goes for rides in the car all the time and loves it.

I do not allow her outside in my car without a harness and leash though.  I then tie the leash to the back seat so she can move around freely on the seats.  I have been doing this with her since she was a kitten so she is VERY use to it.

I actually got a dog about 6 months ago and got one of those hammocks for the back seat, I hated it and so didnt my cat and dog.  They would slide around on it with every turn I made.  I ended up secure a towel down on top of it so both the dog and cat had something to hold onto. I also sometimes put Tessie's bed in the car, makes them more comfortable I think :).
When I first got Odessa close to 4 years ago, I tried the Come with Me Kitty lead and harness but I could barely get it on her. She was my first cat so I was very delicate and unsure of how to handle her. but, I would like to try again because we're driving across country next year and if I have to get all bloody plus hear her incessant howling for 12 hours, I'm going to lose it. I have about a year to prepare her so hopefully she'll go along with it. Do you have any advice/books on how to coax her into harness training? Which design do you use-- 'h' or figure 8? I was thinking of getting one of those holsters/vests. One of the big problems I had when trying to get a harness on her a few years ago was I'm not allowed to touch her belly or her sides and trying to figure out how to get it on while she's squirming was really hard. The vest is an easy velcro on her belly.
I have a dog that will willing go into a carrier/crate, she even sleeps in it 90% of the time but the minute you put it in the car she starts whining and howling. I've tried to just keep driving and ignore her (once on a 10 hour trip, another time on a 12 hour trip) and she just keeps going. You can't turn the music up loud enough to drown her out, it's incredibly distracting and by the end of most trips she's hoarse. I ended up getting a barrier for my car so that I can put them in the back (I have a hatchback) and they can roam around but can't get to the front. They make them for cars as well, it might be something worth trying for your cat. 

Another option would be to get a harness for her and a tab leash (very short leash for big dogs). You pull the seatbelt until the restraint lock kicks in (as if you were putting in a car seat), then put the handle through the seatbelt and snap the seatbelt in. Hook the harness to the leash and voila! You can do it with a bit longer leash too, I would just make sure that whatever leash you use isn't long enough that if she were to go flying if you were in an accident she'd get hurt. 
Odessa loves car rides so a noncarrier plan is preferable. I think once we get going and she realizes she can look outside (unlike the other two who are carrier bound), she would forget all about that uncomfortable harness. 
I just wanted to say I know exactly what you mean. My roommate's ex's cat was the same way. He was the sweetest little 10lbs of fur you've ever seen, but it took my roommate and I 20 minutes to shove him into a carrier once. I never would have believed it without seeing it.
i have been trying off and on for YEARS and I eventually just gave up. I hold her and she doesn't fight that but I would like to invest in something like a harness.

~*regina*~

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
mscatamaran - My cat wears something very similiar to this harness (http://www.kittyholster.com/?gclid=CNmg7KShhbACFUOo4AodflhulQ), Tessie has a dark purple and black harness :)

I didnt read any books, I just slowly introduced Tessie to the harness and leash.  I believe I just put it on her 20-30 minutes a day with no leash around the house, then I added the leash a couple weeks later and "walk" her around the apartment.  Then once she and I were comfortable she began to enjoy the outdoors and car rides.  I started very young with her so It may take your cat more time.  GOOD LUCK!!