Attempt To Save Mimi

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

moreknow

learning to help ferals :)
Adult Cat
Purraise
Update morning 11/30

So this morning was bad and good in a way, Mimi started scratching at the carrier and made 2 holes and was desperate to get out as we started pulling out to go the hospital. So I turned around because I wasn’t going to have her jumping all around the truck in our 40 minute drive..

I called GCVS and am making plans to reschedule if needed. But the good news is now she ate 3 little pieces of chicken, tiny bits of kibble, and licked some yogurt.

since im making a second appointment, I have to make a $240 consul deposit this time for Monday. But this whole week she’s been responsive, purring and kneading, and now she’s eating a little. I cant say we’re out of the woods yet though

Last edited:

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you try to feed her are you raising the food up? It can be really uncomfortable for them to eat off whatever their current "ground level" is when there's an upper respiratory infection (URI).

Warming up the food can also help. It increases the smell. The URI can block the smell or make it smell bad to them. So then they don't eat. (Smells bad when it's food but they have an infection so smelling the infection too).

I found that some steam in the bathroom before eating helped. My vet also allowed me to use a q-tip and some infant saline to put a drop of saline in Lily's nose. Then usually she would sneeze and then I could get her to eat. (Just basically dip the q-tip into the saline, life the head and let the droplet fall into the nose - please talk to your vet before you do that though).

Other tips to get them to eat with a URI:

- kitten food smells stronger
- add a bit of how water or microwave (ensure to stir and not burn Kitty's tongue)
- raising the food and/or hand feeding
- using a syringe or spoon to hold the food up to regular head level and allow them to lick. (To be clear I don't force feed with a syringe, just dribble a bit out at a time near the lips which usually engages licking)

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Don’t panic, because you don’t know what is going on yet. You are doing the best that you can. If this were to be an infectious condition of some kind, possibly respiratory, it could be spread to the other cats. If it is possible, you might try to separate them as a precaution.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
When you try to feed her are you raising the food up? It can be really uncomfortable for them to eat off whatever their current "ground level" is when there's an upper respiratory infection (URI).

Warming up the food can also help. It increases the smell. The URI can block the smell or make it smell bad to them. So then they don't eat. (Smells bad when it's food but they have an infection so smelling the infection too).

I found that some steam in the bathroom before eating helped. My vet also allowed me to use a q-tip and some infant saline to put a drop of saline in Lily's nose. Then usually she would sneeze and then I could get her to eat. (Just basically dip the q-tip into the saline, life the head and let the droplet fall into the nose - please talk to your vet before you do that though).

Other tips to get them to eat with a URI:

- kitten food smells stronger
- add a bit of how water or microwave (ensure to stir and not burn Kitty's tongue)
- raising the food and/or hand feeding
- using a syringe or spoon to hold the food up to regular head level and allow them to lick. (To be clear I don't force feed with a syringe, just dribble a bit out at a time near the lips which usually engages licking)
update night 11/30

Mimi spent all day inside, in our outdoor room and inside the house. She's dry and warm despite the constant rain here.

She ate about 5-6 small pieces of chicken and some bits of kibble, but of course this is not as much as she typically eats.

Alldara, thank you
We hang some chicken above her head and she typically swats it with her hand to drop it. She did that one time today but didn't eat it as I guess it wasn't warm enough and/or giving enough smell.

I'll look into the saline but now I have to work 3 consecutive 13 hr shifts, I'll be free Monday to see if I have to take her anywhere else.

I want to feed her human food like chicken, any suggestions on making it more appealing with smell or any other factor?

I still have the Doxycycline antibiotic, and the Mirataz appetite stimulant. I plan on resuming those tonight.

She doesn't seem to have any bumps anywhere, I want to say that she doesn't even have fleas. She has always seemed to be a healthy outdoor cat, though I have never seen her sleep or drink water, since she's always been outside 2 houses away in an abandoned property.

I'm preparing to see how these next 3 days go, thank y'all so much again

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I would ask the vet for Science Diet a/d. That usually gets kitties eating. It's a pate wet food so you could add some warm water to it to help her stay hydrated.

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Did you get the catheter removed? Did she get it out herself?
I havent been able to over the weekend, and the vet has been closed up until today

Im gonna call and ask about it and they called and planned to send more saline with Cerenia as well as the A/D. I heard the risk of the catheter still being on after 96 hours, I want to get it out ASAP as i now feel that she doesn’t need it anymore. Could i take it out at home?

She’s back to normal mostly, eating a lot of chicken bits. I feel we’re almost there in the attempt to save Mimi

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
Could it be FIP?
there was no mention of wet or dry forms of FIP when i was at the vet 3 times last week. I don't think it could be that because the symptoms aren't too consistent with that illness. I will ask about it when I pick up the medicine and AD today

silent meowlook

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Unfortunately that catheter needed to come out at the latest 72 hours after it was placed. It will be easier to do if they shaved all the way around her leg.
Get a piece of paper towel. A kind of long thick piece rolled up. It will need to be able to go around the entire leg.
Get a piece of masking tape if you have it. If not scotch tape is ok. That piece should be a little longer than the paper towel.
Slowly and gently start to unravel the tape. Hopefully they tabbed the tape so you know where to start. If not, find the end piece and pull it gently around and off the leg.
There will be many layers and pieces of tape. Probably three.
After you get the first 2 pieces off, take the paper towel and wrap it around the leg above the catheter and when you come to the final piece of tape which will be attached to the catheter, slide the paper towel down over the catheter as you pull it out in one motion.
The catheter is about 3/4 of an inch to 1 inch long. Once the catheter is removed take the scotch tape and wrap it around the paper towel, only covering the paper towel, not the hair or skin. It can be snug.
You must remove the paper towel and tape ten minutes later.
Worst case scenario is that the catheter comes out and you don’t get it covered. It will bleed allot and look like hell, but other than making a mess it should be fine to just put the paper towel over it.
I doubt the catheter is still in the vein, so it probably won’t bleed.
Can you post a picture of her leg?

moreknow

Adult Cat
Purraise
update on Mimi:
Mimi is fully recovered, alive and well and back to being mostly outdoors. Her catheter was safely removed at the vet. She eats completely normal everyday and purrs everytime I see her. I am very thankful for the help I received at Abshier-Meuth Animal Hospital in the 2 weeks that I spent helping her.
After Dec. 6, I had taken up a job in West Texas for 3 weeks, I was in desperation to advance my career so I can provide better for my cats. My mother helped take care for her while I was gone, and everything is all good with her to this day. I apologize for my delay, as I had surgery in the beginning of this month, but we're all still healthy. I am extremely grateful for you people, and the advice and feedback on here.

Except now, I have another issue with my mostly indoor cat Celsa, who just now had a significantly wet behind since this morning. I will post a new thread