Attacking my phone

animallover9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My female cat in the last 3 or 4 months whenever I am on my phone she attacks it starts biting my phone and does her best to knock it out of my hands. At first I though it was because she wanted my attention but even if I try to take a picture of her or if I'm petting her with one hand and have my phone in the other as soon as she sees it she freaks out and attacks it. I thankfully have  a case on my phone but it know has bite marks in it. I have had her since she was 6 weeks old so I know she hasn't had any traumatic phone accidents. Why is she doing this? How can I make her stop?

marcthecat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I recently read somewhere that cats can become really jealous of objects their humans often interact with, phones, remotes, laptops etc. and will get in the way to get your attention away from the object, even if they're not concerned with receiving a fuss themselves.

Maybe this is an extreme case of object jealousy because you're constantly interacting with your phone (I'm glued to mine). I can't remember where I read this as I've been heavily researching cat behaviours in the past few weeks and been to hundreds of pages, but have a wee google and I'm sure it'll pop up. It must be driving you nuts! 

I haven't been much help at all but I thought I'd mention it, I hope you find some good info! x

detroitcatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think Marcthecat is right about her doing it because she sees you using the phone a lot. It may not necessarily be jealousy but at least attention seeking. My cats do similar things when I am using the phone or computer a lot, they prefer I pay attention to them 
It's a hard thing to get them to stop doing especially if you give in and give them attention when they do it, but I haven't found another solution. Some cats it is a jealousy thing though, my cat shadow is very clingy and attached to me and she gets jealous whenever she sees me doing something other than paying attention to her. She has gotten better about this but still likes to chew phone, computer and electronics cords to get my attention. She will even go behind the TV and chew on the cords when I am sitting down watching TV, she wants to be the center of attention all of the time. When I have my phone in my hand she will just rub her face up against it now though, almost like she is trying to knock it out of my hand and she leaves the phone alone as long as I put it down and pet her instead.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

animallover9

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I could very much be jealousy she gets very jealous of my boys (I have 3 cats) and will destroy my things (mostly clothes) if one of the boys is getting more attention than she is. She will only except attention from me and is very loud about it so I am sure it could be that she is getting jealous of my phone. I will have to try not touching my phone when she is near and give her some attention and make it all about her. She is a little bit of a princess so hopefully that will save my phone.