Attacked while ending walks with harness

Nytron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Registered just to share a perfect solution to this problem: Have a long blade of grass ready. When it's time to take the cat in, hold it near him and let him almost eat it. When scoop him up and feed him the grass while you carry him in. Works every time.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
No but mine will flop over and I have to drag her in or carry her. It reminds me of the videos of usually Huskies who don't want to go somewhere and the owner is dragging them along the ground lol. I just pick my cat up though. She doesn't attack me.

Nytron

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No but mine will flop over and I have to drag her in or carry her. It reminds me of the videos of usually Huskies who don't want to go somewhere and the owner is dragging them along the ground lol. I just pick my cat up though. She doesn't attack me.
The grass method works on this situation as well, see above post. The grass serves as a lure to get them to stand up and reset their behavior, preventing you from having to pry them off the floor like an omelette stuck to the pan.

Esme109

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, this post is for cat owners who walk their cats on leashes.

Does your cat attack you when he has to come back inside? How did you train your cat not to fight you when it’s time to come back in?

I’m the guardian of a male ginger who was rescued off the street. He was already an adult when I took him in, so am not sure how many years he lived outside (or if he was abandoned by an owner). He is good around people, but gets aggressive around other cats. We’re a one-cat household, so I worry about him getting lonely when I am at work all day.

I want him to have a happy and fulfilling life—he gets much playtime, is on a high quality raw diet, gets treats, love, etc—but we live in the city and it’s not safe to let him run around freely in the neighborhood. There are at least 5 construction sites nearby, dogs often off their leashes, and many cats around here have gone missing and/or hit by cars. So the compromise is to walk him outdoors in quiet parks with a leash and harness.

He took to the harness very quickly, walks like it isn’t even on him. The thing is, he becomes a different cat when outdoors. Indoors he is sweet, no major problems (except now he cries often to go outside). When sniffing all the scents outdoors, exploring, walking wherever he can go with me in tow, he starts to go primal. This guttural growling I never hear unless he’s outside, and then when I have to pick him up to go back in the carrier, he bunny kicks my arms with claws out, bites, growls like he’s being kidnapped by the worst person in the world. Today I’m tending to my wounds from his latest attack after carrying him to his carrier. I was wearing long sleeves, he managed to get through that even. I realize at the time I’m taking him away from something he’s really enjoying, but it’s not like I’m a stranger or hurting him, to get these attacks. When back inside, he immediately is nice to me again.

I truly want to be able to continue taking him outside, but I also don’t want to be attacked anymore! My hands and arms are getting covered in scars from this, and it is painful when it happens. If anyone on this site knows of a resource or tips for training him to go calmly when it’s time to go inside, that would be life-changing for both myself and my cat. I bought one of those clickers but I don’t even know how to apply it to this situation, since he’s been ignoring treats when outside.

Basically, walking him on a leash isn’t the problem, it’s just getting him back indoors without so much aggression towards me. I recently watched a nature show where cheetahs were being walked on harnesses without attacking their handlers. If it can be done with a cheetah, there’s got to be a way to make it work with my 13 lb ginger.

Thank you in advance…

catdad61

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
To start with my wife and I have had at least one cat the entirety of our 27 years together until Tiger crossed the Rainbow bridge in early October last year. All of our previous cats were overweight, not obese but still. When my wife brought Lunar home, 2yo female spayed and microchipped,(total surprise to me, but that's another story) on November 18th I started searching the internet with 2 questions in mind. I wanted to know about how much she should weigh and how much to feed her to keep her at that weight. And down the rabbit hole I went :lol:. I absorbed every bit of content I could find relating to cats to the point that my family says I'm obsessed with her.
I believe what you're experiencing is redirected aggression. When a cat is in a strange or different environment they are instinctually in a 'high alert' condition. Being lower on the food chain than us humans, they examine everything around them in predator / prey mode. They 'attack' out of pure instinct much like a human's fight or flight reflex.
Although I don't have any suggestions about alleviating the situation I thought it important to give a possible reason as to why it happens.
As a side note; We have started harness training Lunar, and so far it's been successful, but we haven't wandered much farther than our front yard with her yet. So we haven't experienced any issue4s when we bring her back inside. I also enclosed our back deck railing with netting and she is always supervised when out there because we don't want her jumping on top of and then over the railing. That will have to do until I finish building her catio. No, I'm not obsessed ;)

Esme109

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi maybe try taking him to new places on leash ?? Does he react like this in a familiar area ? What about a when in a new place? does he act the same no matter where you take him ?

My cat Cannoli, hisses at me when we are in familiar places on leash, If it’s territory of his and he is outside on a leash , he will hiss.

This is my situation :: I like to take him out in the neighborhood near our home or in our apt complex, where he is familiar cuz it’s easy and convenient on leash.. but he gets super territorial & acts like a stranger is stealing him when it’s time to go home! He starts trynna fight me with claws out and has a low growl that I never hear indoors, like you said he starts to go feral pretty much, & God help me if I tug on his leash or try to redirect him on the walk, he will get so mad and start hissing hard at me and growling 😩
BUT when I take him to a park down the street with strange people and car noises, he doesn’t hiss or act this way at all.
I think his fear of being in a park that he isn’t fully familiar with & then add seeing strangers you don’t know, it doesn’t let his territorial instincts come through ? Or maybe if I keep taking him there he will eventually consider it territory and begin to hiss with time ?
Here’s his story :
He started being leash trained at 7 weeks old when I adopted him . It was great , I walked him in the apartments because we had giant patches of grass that he loved to explore . Eventually he hit 7 months & I missed his initial neutering appointment so I had to wait over a month and a few weeks with his crazy hormonal ass trynna hump me and meowing at the door looking for a mate. By the time he was neutered he was a fresh 8 months maybe 9 months old. I don’t know if this played a key role but If I remember correctly, once he was around 10 months when he started hissing at me when it was time to come in. ( I want to say he started hissing after being neutered , I truly can’t fully remember) anyway, as time went by it escalated from him hissing at me when it was time to come in, to him growling at me if I dared to tug on his leash during a walk, to actually boxing me with nails out and going completely feral if I wanted to pick him up and put him in his cat backpack to take him to a new area or something. Oh also as soon as he is inside, he’s a nice cat again. 😒😒😒 acts like nothing ever happened …He’s now 1 year and 2 weeks , and I realize now that he only does this in places where he is on leash & outside that he considers territory . For example, He doesn’t do this when I take him to a park full of people. Specially a park/place that he doesn’t know . He will stay in the backpack & if he comes out (which he eventually always does) he won’t be angry when I put him back in the backpack or redirect him on leash?! Weird ! He acts so nice, let’s me pick him up and everything, he will even say hi to people by sniffing them and letting them pet him ??!!? I don’t know what to do . Yesterday he meowed so hard at the door and when I walked him in the neighborhood he acted like an ass again. I even tried to pick him up so he could see above the fence .., yea I paid for that lol
If anyone has any advice ?
i already am gonna get him a stroller but I want to see him running free enjoying grass under his paws like cats are intended to be . You know?
if anyone has advice please shoot me a reply or message ❤

Hi, this post is for cat owners who walk their cats on leashes.

Does your cat attack you when he has to come back inside? How did you train your cat not to fight you when it’s time to come back in?

I’m the guardian of a male ginger who was rescued off the street. He was already an adult when I took him in, so am not sure how many years he lived outside (or if he was abandoned by an owner). He is good around people, but gets aggressive around other cats. We’re a one-cat household, so I worry about him getting lonely when I am at work all day.

I want him to have a happy and fulfilling life—he gets much playtime, is on a high quality raw diet, gets treats, love, etc—but we live in the city and it’s not safe to let him run around freely in the neighborhood. There are at least 5 construction sites nearby, dogs often off their leashes, and many cats around here have gone missing and/or hit by cars. So the compromise is to walk him outdoors in quiet parks with a leash and harness.

He took to the harness very quickly, walks like it isn’t even on him. The thing is, he becomes a different cat when outdoors. Indoors he is sweet, no major problems (except now he cries often to go outside). When sniffing all the scents outdoors, exploring, walking wherever he can go with me in tow, he starts to go primal. This guttural growling I never hear unless he’s outside, and then when I have to pick him up to go back in the carrier, he bunny kicks my arms with claws out, bites, growls like he’s being kidnapped by the worst person in the world. Today I’m tending to my wounds from his latest attack after carrying him to his carrier. I was wearing long sleeves, he managed to get through that even. I realize at the time I’m taking him away from something he’s really enjoying, but it’s not like I’m a stranger or hurting him, to get these attacks. When back inside, he immediately is nice to me again.

I truly want to be able to continue taking him outside, but I also don’t want to be attacked anymore! My hands and arms are getting covered in scars from this, and it is painful when it happens. If anyone on this site knows of a resource or tips for training him to go calmly when it’s time to go inside, that would be life-changing for both myself and my cat. I bought one of those clickers but I don’t even know how to apply it to this situation, since he’s been ignoring treats when outside.

Basically, walking him on a leash isn’t the problem, it’s just getting him back indoors without so much aggression towards me. I recently watched a nature show where cheetahs were being walked on harnesses without attacking their handlers. If it can be done with a cheetah, there’s got to be a way to make it work with my 13 lb ginger.

Thank you in advance…

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
E esme When it's time to be picked up or go inside maybe try a offering a treat and try to only use this certain treat for this. Gypsy was the neighborhood stray when she adopted us back in 2016, vet guess she was 1 or 2. She doesn't bite or scratch but can be very stubborn and determined so I use pieces of Sheba meat sticks as an inventive to do as I ask. I usually don't tug on the leash as the crinkle of the meat stick wrapper and/or a kissy noise or the clicky/clucky noise (used with horses alot) brings her running to me. I use the crinkle to get her inside, and give a piece when she's inside the door and one last bit when she jumps up on her stool to get the harness taken off. She's extremely intelligent and is well aware that if she ignores what I ask we don't go outside. Churu would work too, but she only gets them when I mix her pre/probics with a half of one nightly. She responds to treats inside but ignores them outside but the Sheba meat sticks really do the trick. Experiment to discover what works for you two.
She use to occasionally stand at the door and loudly cry to go out but we would just ignore her by going into another room if distracting her didn't work. She was not rewarded by being taken out when she would carry on. Nowadays we go out every day (no set time) she occasionally may give an non demanding inquirying meiow but usually is very patient and if sitting and giving 'the look' doesn't work she'll go nap til it's time to go out.
I suggest working in increments by offering a treat when good behavior is being shown. I've never used them but if you can handle his feet maybe try nail caps. Gypsy won't eat calming treats but will lick the gel from my finger, if you try them I suggest using less than the amount on the package. We use it for firework time, idiots around here start a week early.
20230516_233602.jpg
20230516_233627.jpg
20230516_233509.jpg

You could invest in long gauntlets, I got these from Amazon just in case I would ever need them. Comfortabke, good finger dexterity and great coverage.
20230517_013027.jpg
20230517_013111.jpg
20230517_012954.jpg

Hang in there, good luck and keep us updated.

LokiWolf

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Lizzy doesn't like when I end her hunts for lizards at night either. The problem is she goes by people's windows and it's like 9:30 at night (apartments). She doesn't bite but she will make a whiny growl sound. Especially if I interrupt her dirt bath lol