Attack Cat. Help!

Marleycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
my 9 month old male kitten keeps attacking me. I thought he would grow out of it by now. But he will be playing fine and then lunge at my wrists and bite over and over again. Sometimes he even does it whole purring. I don’t believe it to be aggression. He doesn’t growl or anything. But is relentless. Tried removing him to a different room. Tried holding by the scruff of his neck and telling him now. Starting carrying around a spray bottle which gets him off and makes it stop for the time being but he’s still doing it. He’s 10 lbs and it hurts! Any suggestions or stories of the same?

ArchyCat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought that the full scrubbing treatment including hiding at the cat. That is what mama would do. Good luck.

Is he neutered yet? Hopefully someone else on the site has better/more suggestions.

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Is he neutered yet? Does he do a little sideways dance before he attacks? If so, what you are seeing is practice play fighting that male cats do. Females don't seem to do it as intensely. With Homer, anytime he hurts me I scream in pain. Like a litter mate would do. That has worked amazingly well, he is very gentle now. But also when he was in his "I am gonna kick some ass" phase, I got an oven mitt to wrestle with him. Didn't take him long to figure out the difference between my bare hand and the oven mitt. Also, kick his little cat butt with that oven mitt!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marleycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah he’s neutered. I’ve heard about the screaming in pain trick. But I live in a basement suite that’s not very soundproof haha I’ll try the oven mitt. Maybe he’s not getting enough play fighting time that he’s starting to lash out. He wiggles his butt before he attacks but doesn’t do the side wase dance. He will do it to my ankles every once in a while too. After accidentally punting him across the room a couple times now you think he would learn!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
An oven mitt is a bad idea. Step 1) Toys not hands. Toys no where near the hands. Every toy needs to be tossed away from you or attached to a wand or ribbon. 2) Screech or make a ruckus ... I like howling OOoooooooWWWwwwwwww. It doesn't have to be ear shattering just a bit loud. Cats have excellent hearing. 3) If it persist scruff for a few seconds or lightly tap the side of his face with one finger then ignore him for 5-10 minutes 4) Every time he attack play time is over (I called it quits for a half hour EVERY time to train my punk.) It just takes time and consistency.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Marleycat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yeah none of that works. And I never play with him with my hands for that reason as it always ends in bites. I’ve tried all of those things for months. Very resilient Kitten :( maybe I’ll just try screeching at him louder

Kefa

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You don't have to be really loud, but loud enough to surprise him. And be consistent with your OW!. Every time. Homer will bat my ankles, but never with claws now. I can wrestle with him with my bare hands, and no claws ever now. He gives me very gentle love bites that are more like a grab. But we can still go all out with the Oven Mitt. But I started the OW! screeching the very first time he hurt me. He is so gentle now I am amazed.