Atopica + Supplement?

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
For those with kitties on Atopica, is it counterproductive to also put them on an immune support supplement formula? I hate that Atopica suppresses their immune system, so I feel like he needs support in that regard. However, I don’t want to undo what Atopica is doing, if that makes sense?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I know that there are some supplements/vitamins that shouldn't be given to a cat that is on Atopica. I would call the vet and ask if there are any acceptable supplements that can be used.

You said 'kitties" - but, I trust your guy is over 6 months old, and over 3 pounds in weight? Atopica is not for kittens that don't meet these criteria.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh yes, he's under a vet's care for the Rx -- 5 years old, 12 pounds. We have a follow up tomorrow. Started with stomatitis, then itchy skin, now pillow foot. Honestly I'd love to find an all natural solution and drop the Atopica completely. He's only been on a few weeks, and I already can't imagine getting a pill down his throat every day for the rest of his life. He HATES it, and doesn't make it easy ;)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think Atopica is also available in liquid form if that would be a better option for you. It could likely be put in food to help with medicating. Ask your vet about the prospect of Atopica being a life-long treatment. I do know that it is better than steroid use.

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes we started with the liquid but it runs around $100 per month. The taste is so bad it’s impossible to mix with food. But certainly easier to give him!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yow - on the cost!!!! Is the pill one that can be crushed? If so, how about mixing it with water off of tuna or some strong flavored food with gravy?

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It’s a capsule that can’t be opened, I assume filled with liquid?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess you could open one up and find out - over a tiny dish or something to catch whatever comes out of it??

The only drawback with that is if it supposed to be time-released, but I doubt it. And, the information coming with the meds should tell you if it is.

Last edited: