Atopica/Cyclosporine -- where & how much?

summermh

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Looks like we're going the Atopica route for my kitty with terrible dermatitis issues. My vet says it's around $100/month for the feline prescription

If your cat is on Atopica (or the generic cyclosporine), will you tell me from where you're buying and how much it costs? Just need to be sure I understand my options

thanks!
Summer

lowb35

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Summer,

My cat Morrison has been on cyclosporine for over a year now. He gets it in compounded liquid form from a local compounding pharmacy for $80/mo. Originally it was $65/mo but the vet increased his dose because his allergies are so difficult to control.

We briefly had Morrison on Atopica. That was just under $70/mo as well from the vet but it turned out we were having better success with the compounded cyclosporine so we went back to that. I know there are online vet pharmacies that have it for a little cheaper, which I would probably have taken advantage of if he was going to remain on that form of the medication. $100 sounds a little high unless your cat is prescribed a higher dosage than what Morrison was on (he was on 25 mg).

Cyclosporine/Atopica has not turned out to be a magic bullet, and right now we have him on doxepin as well, but it does at least help to alleviate the worst of his symptoms where he isn't itching himself constantly. The poor thing was skin tested a few years back and the only thing he didn't react to was the saline control. Allergy injections were of no use even after 2 years. Unfortunately, steroids work better than anything else to alleviate Morrison's symptoms but since his allergies are so severe year round that's not an option.