Atopica And Respiratory Issues In Your Cat

Wbhughes3

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat is an 11 year old ragdoll who suffers from allergies he is basically bald on his belly and raw from excessive licking. I started him on atopica last Thursday as of late s Sunday he developed a raspy deep congested sound I took him to the vet who said upper respiratory issue but he does have a small heart murmer at a 2. Started on antibiotics and he refuses to eat or drink I'm forcing water and food down him. Stopped the atopica per vet started on lasix to be safe he didn't have fluid built up around heart. Sounds better today but he's starting to lick again. Has anyone had problems with atopica ??? I'm just thinking maybe he got sick but not from the meds. It seems to be the only med that works so he doesn't excessive lick himself into a crusty mess.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :hithere: :welcomesign:

I have no experience of atopica, but breathing issues aren't listed as one of the side effects (as far as I can see, anyway).

The kind of breathing you describe is consistent with a heart murmur, though, if fluid is in the lungs (hence lasix, as you said). Loss of appetite can also happen with a heart murmur, and it's also a potential side effect of both lasix and atopica. I think some antibiotics can cause nausea too, which also makes kitties go off their food :frown:

My inclination would be to get him stable and eating again, then give the atopica another go (you don't want to risk his appetite getting worse when you're already having to syringe feed him). You're the one who can see him and knows him, though, so trust your instincts and trust your vet.

I'm sure you probably have, but have you been able to pinpoint which foods or environmental factors trigger or worsen his allergies? Also, have you looked into trying him in a medical shirt? That won't help the allergy itself, but it might protect his skin and stop him injuring himself. It's so miserable for you both to have to deal with this, and I'm just wracking my brains trying to think of any possible solutions for you.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Try brewing a cup of chamomile tea, chilling it, and swabbing it on his tummy. It makes a wonderfully soothing wash for any sort of skin "ouchies" in people AND cats. Use the commercial tea bags, in the coffee/tea aisle for this. They are made from German chamomile. The English variety, which is so often in gardens, can be toxic to cats.

Alizabethcagle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
47930ED1-B639-458E-85DA-A93F3CFFB230.jpeg
2B367626-E069-477A-9FE9-BCDD90F41C4F.jpeg
My cat is an 11 year old ragdoll who suffers from allergies he is basically bald on his belly and raw from excessive licking. I started him on atopica last Thursday as of late s Sunday he developed a raspy deep congested sound I took him to the vet who said upper respiratory issue but he does have a small heart murmer at a 2. Started on antibiotics and he refuses to eat or drink I'm forcing water and food down him. Stopped the atopica per vet started on lasix to be safe he didn't have fluid built up around heart. Sounds better today but he's starting to lick again. Has anyone had problems with atopica ??? I'm just thinking maybe he got sick but not from the meds. It seems to be the only med that works so he doesn't excessive lick himself into a crusty mess.
My cat about died using this med! We and vet filed an fda complaint! It was so sad we had to tube feed her and she lived! But it was costly!
She started by vomiting and going off her feed then weighed loss
Her behavior changed!!! The manufacturer paid only for the ultra sound and labs!
We were stuck with the rest! Due to their policies that’s all they have to pay for!
This is bad drug for cats!!! After I had this issue I started hearing more people chatting bout it! And most cats died!!
Proceed with caution on this med!

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
My cat has severe allergies to both dust mites and storage mites. I have been using atopica for her for over a year with no issues. I always say it's quality of life in these situations. It's miserable to be itchy especially to the point of licking raw spots. More frequent blood testing is required to make sure the kidneys/liver are ok but otherwise, it's made a big difference for us and providing her a normal life.

Alizabethcagle

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am seeing gobs of people having issues with this drug? I’m glad it worked for you but this drug can Kill a cat! For people out there who had issues.... call the FDA and let them know!

My cat bout died from this medicine! Use nothing now and just keep her on a flea treatment and clip her nails to stop the scratching we went back to a low dose of steroids and were much happier
On This medicine she had NO Quality of life in fact she was losing her life I posted photos in a previous reply

Last edited by a moderator:

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Many members have used Atopica here for their cats and have had good results. I am also a member on other cat groups and depending on the situation, this is a life saver. Clipping nails for a cat with severe allergies does absolutely nothing for the cats comfort. Steroids used long term can cause many other issues. Atopica is a much safer alternative if it's being used long term. I'm not looking for an argument, but again, I personally have not had a negative experience with it and it's helped give my cat a quality of life back.
W Wbhughes3 please work with your regular vet and or dermatologist. Best of luck!