At Wit's End

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My fixed, 8 y/o male has always been somewhat needy. But the last 18 months, he's also become pestering and very vocal. He often has trouble settling down in the evening and instead pesters me when I'm trying to wind down myself. I'll try to play with him, but he often shows little enthusiasm and walks away. He's well fed, clean water and box and lots of affection. When is IS relaxed, he's a bundle of snuggly joy. But it's usually a real struggle and his constant crying and yowling to get let out makes my already high blood pressure go higher. I don't like to let him out at night but if he's unrelentingly vocal, I'll cave and let him out, and at that point we are both happy.

This morning he woke me up crying 30 minutes before my alarm rings. And during my breakfast he started in with the crying and I just snapped. I jumped up and bellowed at him and stomped my foot. He got scared and ran away under a sofa. The whole episode put me in a foul mood before I even got to work, and of course I also felt guilty for yelling at him.

I love him dearly, but I don't want this to define my home life. I've tried the "just ignore him when he cries" tactic, but I'll often reflexively say "Be quiet!" I need a peaceful environment and he is routinely shattering the peace.

I pay tons of attention to him. I pet him, groom him, take him to the vet, give him hugs and kisses, play with him (which he enjoys sometimes), I let him go outside (I know, it's irresponsible)....I provide him a comfortable life but it's a rare day that doesn't see him exhibit this pathological behavior.

I wish I could help him feel better about things. He's just (almost) never content with any given situation. He always wants to have another option, and getting through a doorway is usually the option he wants, even if it's a door into another room, or closet. But he'll quickly lose interest, as he does with most things that aren't food or being outdoors.

I'm just not sure I have anything in my bag of tricks can fix this impasse. So I'm calling on the experts on the Cat Site for words of wisdom.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
Instead of just letting him outside, can you take him for walks to try and specifically engage his mind? Would he use a cat wheel to work off some energy?

Last edited:

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just too many variables as possibilities. Changes in his environment, including anything to do with you/your life, can cause these issues. This is a very basic guide (see link below) but might give you some clues about where you need to focus on what could be behind his behavior changes. It really is a matter of investigation.
Cat Acting Strangely? Here's What It Could Mean - TheCatSite

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When was his last bloodwork? Did it check thyroid levels?

He's at the age where that behaviour could be early hyperthyroidism.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When was his last bloodwork? Did it check thyroid levels?

He's at the age where that behaviour could be early hyperthyroidism.
You took the words right off of my fingertips! He's about "that age." when issues can start making themselves known, and with the hyperactivity and increased vocalizations, it is WELL WORTH checking into!

C catguy81 , IF this turns out to be a thyroid issue, and if he is prescribed pills for it, and IF you are in the USA, I can, from experience, recommend the Chewy pharmacy. A three-month supply of pills cost about half of what a one-month supply cost elsewhere. And they are very reliable with getting orders out on time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catguy81

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks all. He had blood work earlier this year. Normal.