At Wits End

snowtweet

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello All. I have been a cat owner for nearly 32 years (not all the same cat). But we now have a kitty and owned her for a little over a year. She is pretty decent, when we first got her from the Humane Society, she did not go in the box very well (she was a kitten) but we curved that behavior. But now, she has urinated on a chair/ottoman and the blanket on the ottoman. We have since removed all evidence and shampooed the carpet underneath with an enzyme cleaner and got the "keep off". Well, she just cannot curve her urge to go there. She has now been surcumed to the storage room in our basement. We have tried the following:

1. Took her to the vet, there are no health issues whatsoever
2. Purchased the plug-in feliaway, and it still has not worked
3. We have not changed her litter and/or box to a new one and it is cleaned daily
4. She is the only animal in the house
5. We steam cleaned/shampooed the carpet nurmerous times, it's a larger home and replacing the carpet will be very costly
6. We have not moved/changed anything and she just started doing this about a week ago
7. No changes in our life in the past month, but we did have visitors prior to that

My husband is ready to turn her into the Humane Society, my daughter is heartbroken. I don't know what else to do. I am at my wits end. Is there a cat whisperer near Colorado or in Colorado?

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Snowtweet

Hello All. I have been a cat owner for nearly 32 years (not all the same cat). But we now have a kitty and owned her for a little over a year. She is pretty decent, when we first got her from the Humane Society, she did not go in the box very well (she was a kitten) but we curved that behavior. But now, she has urinated on a chair/ottoman and the blanket on the ottoman. We have since removed all evidence and shampooed the carpet underneath with an enzyme cleaner and got the "keep off". Well, she just cannot curve her urge to go there. She has now been surcumed to the storage room in our basement. We have tried the following:

1. Took her to the vet, there are no health issues whatsoever How was this determined? was a urine culture and urinalisys done?
2. Purchased the plug-in feliaway, and it still has not worked how many plug ins, and where are they installed? make sure one plug in per room she frequents more often.
3. We have not changed her litter and/or box to a new one and it is cleaned daily what type of litter and litter box are you using? Where is the litter box located? Make sure you have 2 litter boxes, large, uncovered. The litter should be unscented. Switch the litter to "Cat Attract Litter" - you can buy it at pet smart or any major pet supply store. place the boxes in the farthest corner away from the door, where the kitty can see the whole room and not feel trapped. Do not put the litter box inside of closets, garages, laundry rooms, or any loud places where she can get startled.
4. She is the only animal in the house
5. We steam cleaned/shampooed the carpet nurmerous times, it's a larger home and replacing the carpet will be very costly Get Nok Out or Anti-Icky-Poo. Those are the only two that really really works. Nok out has tremendous reviews. Really soak the carpet, leave wet for about 30 minutes-1 hour, remove the excess with a paper towel, then leave air-drying. It is of utmost importance to airdry, so the enzymes can eat through the urine. It can take up to 2 weeks to fully work - cut the kitty's access to the treated area by covering it with foil.
I would recommend getting a good UV lamp and going through the whole house making sure to treat every single spot - you will be surprise with what you find.
6. We have not moved/changed anything and she just started doing this about a week ago
7. No changes in our life in the past month, but we did have visitors prior to that

My husband is ready to turn her into the Humane Society, my daughter is heartbroken. I don't know what else to do. I am at my wits end. Is there a cat whisperer near Colorado or in Colorado?
Good luck!

susan_marie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Carolina gave you great advice. Don't give up on your kitty just yet. You have many options left to try and many products that Carolina mentioned are targeted specifically for your issues. Please try them!