At Wit's End W/ My Boy's Skin Plz Help

ZainAli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all,

My male domestic short hair cat Astro and I really need your advice. Astro is less than 2yrs old and has been over-grooming and biting his hair off to the point of creating bloody wounds all over his stomach and hind legs since this January. So it has now been 8 months of vet visits, blood tests, steroids, Convenia injections. All tests came negative - no bacteria, fungus, mites etc. He has now been put on Hill's Z/D wet and also the Royal Canine Hydrolyzed dry by the Vet since he doesn't really eat the z/d wet. However not much has changed other than his growing disinterest in the prescription food. I tried feeding him the Primal freeze dried duck formula nuggets as he's never had duck previously(assuming he cannot be allergic to something he hasn't eaten before) but it seems he could also be allergic to duck(as he licked/scratched and bit himself quite hard this weekend when i fed him the duck along with the hydrolyzed dry).

The photo here is from a week ago when his stomach was looking slightly better. You can see one of his bite marks slowly healing. Now he's back to attacking his body constantly again and I've been keeping him in a Kong soft collar for most of the day. I also happened to notice that he is only biting fur on the left side of his body. The right side has patches of lost hair fro licking but no bite marks.

I don't want to take him back for any injection as I realize they have side effects and will eventually shorten his lifespan, plus it seems like the Vet really doesn't know how to help him and has even admitted that he has never seen a cat's skin this bad in his 30+ yrs of experience. I even looked into natural remedies, accupunture and chinese medicine as at this point, I don't even know what to do. I just want my little guy to feel better. Any way possible. It's so disheartening to see him this way.

I also have another cat, his sister Luna who is a grey super healthy kitty cat! So whatever Astro's skin issues are, they seem to be non communicable.

Any help/advice is appreciated!
IMG_4108.jpeg

harhardf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried Feliway or CBD oil? I have heard they help a lot with nervous behaviors. Feliway diffuser works well with my cats but have not tried CBD oil yet.

Also, Stella and Chewy's freeze dried is great. My parents had a dog on steroids, etc for allergies and shifted her food to Stella and Chewys and say that her swelling is down, her licking is down and now she only takes a quarter the steroids. I had to switch my dog to a home-cooked diet for allergies. They tried putting him on hydrolyzed protein and he would not eat it. My kitten also loves to eat his food (boiled chicken, liver and sweet potatoes with quinoa).

Sorry that you are dealing with this. Its not easy having a sick animal. If only they could talk...

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When cats do things like this it IS normally food related, but not always. Sometimes it's something inside that hurts and they chew at themselves trying to get at the pain. It's just hard to know. If the biting is specific to one side, I'm wondering if maybe this IS pain related, or not specifically pain, but something on the inside that is bothering him...something not quite right. Have they done an xray or scan? Not saying that's it, but I guess it's a possibility :dunno:. But, you could also try something like freeze dried rabbit or venison. Most of the REALLY limited diets are those two proteins.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree with the two previous posters, in wondering if you have ruled out environmental allergies or intolerances, and also, maybe even had an xray (as an example) of the cat's spinal column?

-- Cats can react to airborne and environmental allergies with skin issues, too. You have to ponder things like - household cleaners? laundry detergents? scented or too dusty of a cat litter? outdoor pollens coming into the house? plants? perfumes? a number of things.

-- Sometimes if a cat has any anomalies in their spinal column, to use my other example (re: getting an xray), sometimes there could be issues with the various nerve/ nerve endings that can cause tingling, pain or "weirdness" that the cat is feeling. This might make them try to groom or bite more.

Have you ruled out other things besides food intolerances or allergies?

Also, I think that dry food in general can be pretty dehydrating to a cat, esp. one already experiencing skin issues and itchiness. Maybe you can find a wet food that he will like a lot :crossfingers:

babiesmom5

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Since it seems the biting is in the stomach, groin area, have you considered a GI ultrasound just to rule out IBD or some sort of GI inflammation that is causing irritation?

I have a kitty who bit, chewed the hair off along her sides and flanks. A GI ultrasound revealed mild IBD. A Dermatology visit determined an allergy to fish. So kitty is on a low dose of Prednisolone plus a no fish diet. So far hair has grown back nicely with no chewing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ZainAli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Have you tried Feliway or CBD oil? I have heard they help a lot with nervous behaviors. Feliway diffuser works well with my cats but have not tried CBD oil yet.

Also, Stella and Chewy's freeze dried is great. My parents had a dog on steroids, etc for allergies and shifted her food to Stella and Chewys and say that her swelling is down, her licking is down and now she only takes a quarter the steroids. I had to switch my dog to a home-cooked diet for allergies. They tried putting him on hydrolyzed protein and he would not eat it. My kitten also loves to eat his food (boiled chicken, liver and sweet potatoes with quinoa).

Sorry that you are dealing with this. Its not easy having a sick animal. If only they could talk...
Thank you for your response! Yes, I've been using the Feliway diffuser consistently since then as I too first thought it was an anxiety issue. I do think the diffuser helps make him feel slightly calmer(as I notice he seems withdrawn on days it runs out/before I replace it), but unfortunately doesn't do much for his skin. I'll look into CBD Oil!

I will try to pick up a bag of Stella & Chewy's Absolutely Rabbit as that's the only one protein I have yet to try. Venison is a no go as I've had no luck in the past with Rad Cat's Frozen Raw Venison.. both cats walked away each time I tried to feed it to them.

I would love to do a home cooked diet, as soon as I know for certain the protein I use is not a source of allergy. I'm wondering since you've had so much experience dealing with your pets' allergies... how were you able to determine that chicken was right for him? Did you ever get the Spectrum Allergy Test done for any of your pets, including your parents' dog?

P.s. your kitties are so cute!

ZainAli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think you should get someone else to look at Astro. A dermatologist would be most appropriate but sometimes just another set of eyes is helpful. He may, in fact, have allergies, just not to food.
Thank you! I have definitely been considering taking him to see a dermatologist, it is just so hard to find one where I currently live in Jersey City, NJ. They are all at least 45min drives away and I don't own a car. :(

ZainAli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When cats do things like this it IS normally food related, but not always. Sometimes it's something inside that hurts and they chew at themselves trying to get at the pain. It's just hard to know. If the biting is specific to one side, I'm wondering if maybe this IS pain related, or not specifically pain, but something on the inside that is bothering him...something not quite right. Have they done an xray or scan? Not saying that's it, but I guess it's a possibility :dunno:. But, you could also try something like freeze dried rabbit or venison. Most of the REALLY limited diets are those two proteins.
Thanks for responding!! YES, I 100% agree with you. The biting being specific to the left side is definitely making me wonder if his organs on a particular side are more affected than the rest of his body? Unfortunately, I don't know much about a cat's anatomy to know for certain. :( I am going to give freeze dried rabbit a try! Venison has been rejected by both my cats so far.

harhardf

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your response! Yes, I've been using the Feliway diffuser consistently since then as I too first thought it was an anxiety issue. I do think the diffuser helps make him feel slightly calmer(as I notice he seems withdrawn on days it runs out/before I replace it), but unfortunately doesn't do much for his skin. I'll look into CBD Oil!

I will try to pick up a bag of Stella & Chewy's Absolutely Rabbit as that's the only one protein I have yet to try. Venison is a no go as I've had no luck in the past with Rad Cat's Frozen Raw Venison.. both cats walked away each time I tried to feed it to them.

I would love to do a home cooked diet, as soon as I know for certain the protein I use is not a source of allergy. I'm wondering since you've had so much experience dealing with your pets' allergies... how were you able to determine that chicken was right for him? Did you ever get the Spectrum Allergy Test done for any of your pets, including your parents' dog?

P.s. your kitties are so cute!
We stripped his diet down to rice and boiled chicken (which is how we learned he was allergic to rice because his poop would be white with mucus and then regular color inside). Then we started adding thing by thing. Everything is pureed and boiled to make it highly digestible. And i even add digestive enzymes every few days to ensure he is properly able to break down the pectins. If its allergies, its most likely suboptimal digestion, resulting in undigested food that escapes into the bloodstream and generates an allergic response. Have you added Vit E oil drops to the food? Vet also told me to do that for my scratchy dog.

I had some problems with my white cat years ago and no one could figure it out. The vet told me it could be allergies and that a home cooked meal may be her best option. He told me rabbit was the best. And prescribed prebiotic drops on all her food. It turned out that she had PIF and herpes. Allergies would have been a better outcome I am afraid.

ZainAli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with the two previous posters, in wondering if you have ruled out environmental allergies or intolerances, and also, maybe even had an xray (as an example) of the cat's spinal column?

-- Cats can react to airborne and environmental allergies with skin issues, too. You have to ponder things like - household cleaners? laundry detergents? scented or too dusty of a cat litter? outdoor pollens coming into the house? plants? perfumes? a number of things.

-- Sometimes if a cat has any anomalies in their spinal column, to use my other example (re: getting an xray), sometimes there could be issues with the various nerve/ nerve endings that can cause tingling, pain or "weirdness" that the cat is feeling. This might make them try to groom or bite more.

Have you ruled out other things besides food intolerances or allergies?

Also, I think that dry food in general can be pretty dehydrating to a cat, esp. one already experiencing skin issues and itchiness. Maybe you can find a wet food that he will like a lot :crossfingers:
Thank you for your suggestions, I initially discussed environmental allergies w/ my vet before going the food allergies route but he convinced me that those are quite rare so I didn't look further into them. However a coworker recently suggested changing the litter, which I did to Arm & Hammer Multicat but Astro's itching and biting persists. I live in a 1bd and currently use a Swiffer w/ the wet wipes on my hardwood floors, an air purifier a few times a week and have added no new plant pots since I got my two cats from the shelter last year. The only two carpets I have are natural rugs made of jute. I will however try switching my detergent to a no-fragrance detergent and see if that helps?

I will also discuss the x-ray with my Vet and see what he thinks of it. I have definitely noticed the hair/skin on his spine curl up every time i run my hand on his lower back...

Yes, dry food can be dehydrating and prior to the hydrolyzed dry, he was only on a wet diet with lots of water based treat. So I'm sure its been a difficult shift for him too to no longer get moisture rich food. He has lately been drinking water like a dog though(maybe due to the heat in NY/NJ right now), so at least that makes me feel better about feeding him only dry at this moment. I really wish I could find a wet can that had only rabbit and try that.. but I know none that exist.

ZainAli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Since it seems the biting is in the stomach, groin area, have you considered a GI ultrasound just to rule out IBD or some sort of GI inflammation that is causing irritation?

I have a kitty who bit, chewed the hair off along her sides and flanks. A GI ultrasound revealed mild IBD. A Dermatology visit determined an allergy to fish. So kitty is on a low dose of Prednisolone plus a no fish diet. So far hair has grown back nicely with no chewing.
Hmm, wondering if those would show up in the blood tests conducted by the Vet initially when the problem began....? Because all was normal then, his kidneys, no sign of diabetes, etc. His stomach is hard as a rock to touch though, but I was thinking it was because he's overweight at 15lbs.. do you think that could be a sign of IBD? Meanwhile my other kitty's stomach is soft to touch.

So, when you visited the dermatologist to get your kitty checked out, what was their initial response based on their visual analysis? And what was the testing procedure to follow? How much did it cost you to see a dermatologist? Was it similar to seeing a regular vet? Or did you spend a lot of money on allergy testing at the dermatologist etc? I just want to be financially prepared. Also is there a reason they are still keeping your kitty on Prednisone? If your kitty is no longer getting any fish and hair is growing back nicely..

ZainAli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We stripped his diet down to rice and boiled chicken (which is how we learned he was allergic to rice because his poop would be white with mucus and then regular color inside). Then we started adding thing by thing. Everything is pureed and boiled to make it highly digestible. And i even add digestive enzymes every few days to ensure he is properly able to break down the pectins. If its allergies, its most likely suboptimal digestion, resulting in undigested food that escapes into the bloodstream and generates an allergic response. Have you added Vit E oil drops to the food? Vet also told me to do that for my scratchy dog.

I had some problems with my white cat years ago and no one could figure it out. The vet told me it could be allergies and that a home cooked meal may be her best option. He told me rabbit was the best. And prescribed prebiotic drops on all her food. It turned out that she had PIF and herpes. Allergies would have been a better outcome I am afraid.
Got it - so you tried the elimination diet process! Hmm, so far his poop has been normal. No diarrhea or weird discoloration yet but I'll definitely keep an eye out. Great point about digestion and incorporating digestive enzymes! I bought some salmon oil to feed him but as soon as he smells it, he walks away. I also bought the premo probiotic powder for cats but am not sure how to feed him that currently with his dry food... and he will no longer touch any of the z/d wet. I will order some vitamin e oil but again unless I find a wet treat/food he can tolerate, it will be hard to give it to him. Thanks for the suggestion!

Oh no, I'm so sorry to hear about your white cat's health. :( How was the PIF and herpes finally diagnosed? Did it show up in her blood work? I know that nothing uncommon showed up in Astro's blood tests when this problem initially began, but after hearing about your white cat, I'm a bit worried now.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Here is a canned rabbit with no peas or starches. Does have guar gum though. It says it's a supplement, but also says it can be a stand alone meal, so you might need to call them and ask about it :dunno:. Wysong Epigen Rabbit Formula Grain-Free Canned Dog, Cat & Ferret Food, 12.9-oz, case of 12. But even if you just use it to mix with his dry food, then you could mix in your probiotic powder into it.

As to using Vitamin E, our Vet said to use only a drop or two, and that was for our girl's liver. None of ours liked Salmon Oil either, so we used a different type of oil for their skin. There are all types out there. There's sardine oil, anchovy oil, krill oil, even unscented salmon oil. But all of those fish oils go bad quickly, so we always kept them in the fridge. Plus you get what you pay for. Sometimes I could smell they were rancid immediately upon opening up the bottle :frown:

ZainAli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a canned rabbit with no peas or starches. Does have guar gum though. It says it's a supplement, but also says it can be a stand alone meal, so you might need to call them and ask about it :dunno:. Wysong Epigen Rabbit Formula Grain-Free Canned Dog, Cat & Ferret Food, 12.9-oz, case of 12. But even if you just use it to mix with his dry food, then you could mix in your probiotic powder into it.

As to using Vitamin E, our Vet said to use only a drop or two, and that was for our girl's liver. None of ours liked Salmon Oil either, so we used a different type of oil for their skin. There are all types out there. There's sardine oil, anchovy oil, krill oil, even unscented salmon oil. But all of those fish oils go bad quickly, so we always kept them in the fridge. Plus you get what you pay for. Sometimes I could smell they were rancid immediately upon opening up the bottle :frown:
THANK YOU so much for the food recommendation! I was having a hard time finding one that hadn't been recalled in the past (Evangers). Seems like it's more of a supplement upon visiting their company website so I'll use it as a daily treat just to feed him the probiotic.

As for the salmon oil, I bought the Grizzly salmon oil on Amazon based on the recommendation of a coworker who fosters kittens but I always felt it smelled rancid from day 1, perhaps I got a bad bottle from the get go or maybe that's just me not liking the fishy smell:barfgreen: I never put it in the fridge so I guess I should just toss it out now. Going to do some research on other natural oils that can be beneficial for cats. I've definitely tried putting coconut oil on him a few times hoping to "moisturize" his skin, thinking at first he was itching coz of dryness but it just makes him oily and doesn't exactly stop his licking once he gets used to the coconut taste.