At wits end, I need advice *sigh*.

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a problem.  My oldest cat, 13 years old named Matty, is peeing/pooping everywhere possibly out of distress.  We have 3 other cats, 2 from me 1 from my fiance Lauren.  Matty just doesn't like all the other cats, nor does she like my fiance.  She has bitten her, hissed and swiped alot.  Lauren pretty much stays away from her.  Well recently she was diagnosed with diabetes and we have to administer insulin shots which I do happily.  Lately though she's peeing on my mother's bed and such.  I've even caught her peeing right outside our main litterbox.  I cleaned that box and she seemed to use it, but then she started peeing outside.  This morning we found a nice pile of pooh in our living room, though we can't determine if it was Matty who did it or not, but then I found out last night Matty peed on my mother's bed again.  I've had people tell me to put her to sleep and I just can't bring myself to think of that.  I raised that little girl from a few week old kitten and every time I think about that it makes me upset.  On the other hand I really don't know what to do.  We are going to make an appointment to see our vet, awesome guy very nice very knowledgeable, I want to ask him if it's necessary to put her to sleep when she's not necessarily in pain.  Granted she's stressed out but euthanasia is such a permanent thing I really don't want to unless it's absolutely necessary and I really don't know if it's at that point yet.  She seems healthy enough outside of the diabetes and she purrs when I pet her alone so I can't see the reasoning to go through with that.  I just don't know what to do, it's stressing all of us out I want the best for Matty but I also don't want to put her under. 

On top of all this stress me and my fiance have a wedding to plan, my mother is moving out and my fiance is taking her room and we are moving stuff around.  This kind of complicates things even further because the room that she is always in, my mothers room under her bed or on her dresser etc..., is going to become my fiance's room.  She always has her cat with her at night and if I take Matty into my room she just sits at the door wanting to go out.  We plan to have Matty in my room, my fiance's cat in hers, and the 2 other cats free roaming the rest of the house which is perfect for it's size etc...  I have 3 litterboxes right now and my fiance has a 4th we are going to be grabbing from her apartment once we are done with the entire move.  I plan to have at least one litterbox in my room if not 2.  Hell I can even buy yet another so there is always a box and even make it so it's Matty's only box if she feels threatened by using the other cats' boxes.  The thing though is, she's used the other main litterbox that all the cats tend to use but doesn't come into my room so never uses the 2 in my room.  I did at one point have all 3 litterboxes in one location to change the litter/dump it etc... and she used one of the ones I use in my room.  This entire thing is very confusing for me.  Oh and another thing is Matty is still drinking alot of water and ends up making big giant mounts of clumped urine in the main box.  We probably will have to up her dosage of Insulin when I see the vet.

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
i would try a feliway diffisuer or a calming collar, if that doesn't work there are anxiety meds for cats. we had a cat that started going outside his box and prozac fixed the problem in less than 2 weeks and he never did it again. i see no reason to euthanize at this point, she's just stressed and there are other options..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

i would try a feliway diffisuer or a calming collar, if that doesn't work there are anxiety meds for cats. we had a cat that started going outside his box and prozac fixed the problem in less than 2 weeks and he never did it again. i see no reason to euthanize at this point, she's just stressed and there are other options..
Ya both me and my fiance don't want to euthanize either.  It's just the stress is getting to us cause constantly washing everything and scrubbing with special cleaner all the time is getting tedious and at this point we are willing to try anything.  I'm actually about to run to the pet store for some more cat litter I will look into the collar and I already have a feliway plugin but no juice for it.

cinqchats

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Yeah, I'm stressed just reading about all the stuff going on in your life right now. 

Can you do some damage-control and keep Matty in one room only for now? Put the Feliway in there with her and remove everything excess, everything that could be ruined by pee/poo? A big bathroom could be ideal, or your other bedroom? 

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Yeah, I'm stressed just reading about all the stuff going on in your life right now. 

Can you do some damage-control and keep Matty in one room only for now? Put the Feliway in there with her and remove everything excess, everything that could be ruined by pee/poo? A big bathroom could be ideal, or your other bedroom? 
Major problem is my fiance began moving stuff so her stuff is practically in every room.  I have her currently in my room and though she doesn't always seem to like it, or rather she wants to go out, she tends to sit on my computer desk or under it near my feet and she purrs so that is a good sign.  I caught her peeing in our kitchen earlier today and my fiance seems a little reluctant putting her anywhere where we have stuff, but that severly limits where she can go.  There is alot of stuff in my room that she COULD pee on, but it seems every time I see her she is using one of the 2 litterboxes in the room.  I haven't noticed any urine or smell it anywhere so that seems to be working.  I haven't tried the feliway yet its a bit expensive and I'm a bit strapped for cash at the moment.  I'll continue to post but so far so good pure isolation.

samnmag

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You definitely have a lot going on in your life right now.  By the same token, so does Matty.  Cats, like most animals, are creatures of habit.  When changes come about, it can take them awhile to adjust.  In addition, she has the diabetes to contend with.  I must state that I am not in the least impressed with anyone who suggests you euthanize her just because she is not conforming to all the changes going on around her.  You know yourself how rushed and busy your life is right now.  Put yourself in her little paws and throw in not really understanding what is going on.  All she knows is her life is changing.  I would love to suggest your slow things down, but life cannot always be slowed down as we all know.  If you can give her some just you and Matty time, that may help.  Definitely giving her some peaceful space, away from the other kitties and the rest of the hub bub may also help.  Do not give up on her.  Keep us up to date on how you make out.

xeoneex

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

You definitely have a lot going on in your life right now.  By the same token, so does Matty.  Cats, like most animals, are creatures of habit.  When changes come about, it can take them awhile to adjust.  In addition, she has the diabetes to contend with.  I must state that I am not in the least impressed with anyone who suggests you euthanize her just because she is not conforming to all the changes going on around her.  You know yourself how rushed and busy your life is right now.  Put yourself in her little paws and throw in not really understanding what is going on.  All she knows is her life is changing.  I would love to suggest your slow things down, but life cannot always be slowed down as we all know.  If you can give her some just you and Matty time, that may help.  Definitely giving her some peaceful space, away from the other kitties and the rest of the hub bub may also help.  Do not give up on her.  Keep us up to date on how you make out.
I absolutely agree.  Last night she stayed in my room and sat on my desk as well as underneath near my feet as she used to do.  I made sure no other cats were in the room, and though she did want to leave at times she doesn't meow at the door as much.  I do also think that once my fiance finally does move into her room and I can get Matty used to her new sanctuary she will be happier because I know she loves me dearly.  I so much as look at her and she purrs :).  13 years is a long time for a cat to bond with a person and I like the fact that I raised her from this itty bitty little cute kitty into this grand ol wonder of a cat.  And while she may be senior by cat standards she's got so much life left in her.  And just having her around brightens my mood.  The other cats tend to be a bit too roudy but that isn't bad either just different :p.  Anyway I'll continue to monitor her but she's been using the litterbox in my room so that's definatly a plus.