At what point does inquisitive become nosey?

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have always had an inquisitive mind. When I get bits of information about anything, I like to know and understand the whole of it. And it can be anything, I'm not just talking about gossipy people news.
However...sometimes it is about people. I don't pry nor do I ask invasive questions just to be in the know, and if someone tells me anything...even if they don't specify it's confidential, I keep information to myself...it's not my news to tell. I'm not a gossip and I keep secrets.

Here's the thing though. There has been some drama in a circle of people that I associate with. These people could up and walk out of my life forever and it wouldn't bother me in the least. They are nice and fun to be with but they are only friendly acquaintances for the purpose of our shared interest. In general, I don't care what they do in their own lives but over the last several weeks I've heard random little tidbits and comments and witnessed......weird? inappropriate?...IDK, behavior and none if it makes sense.
I really don't give a rats patooty about getting involved, I try to avoid drama and I like to stay neutral. I'm still just as friendly with all parties involved. If it's not something that affects me, I usually don't care....but it's driving me crazy that none of it makes sense!!!! I just need to understand what's going on so I can stop thinking about it.
So that leads me to the title....at what point does needing to understand something become being nosey?
Are you nosey or just inquisitive?

Last edited:

denice

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Avoid the temptation and stay out of it. Whatever it is it's best to stay clear. Whatever it is will resolve itself, getting involved will often turn into people will resolve their issue and you will be the odd one out.

Mia6

Mother of one and numerous ferals
Top Cat
Purraise
Avoid the temptation and stay out of it. Whatever it is it's best to stay clear. Whatever it is will resolve itself, getting involved will often turn into people will resolve their issue and you will be the odd one out.
:yeah:

never talk about politics, religion or money in a social setting. my mother taught me that.💝

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I mean absolutely no disrespect...none whatsoever. But from what I read, you actually do care. If you didn't give a rat's behind, like you said, then you wouldn't be bothered by it and just let it go. Who cares if it makes sense if you don't care as much as you say? Just walk away from it and don't give it another thought.
So to answer your question, if you truly don't care and insist on finding out the info you want...then it is simply nosey.

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One of the few advantages of being partially deaf is that I can safely feign ignorance to what other people are saying. Unless it has a direct bearing on me or mine, I, too, don't care what others say or do. I don't pry, and I don't take sides on other's squabbles. On the (rare) occasion where my opinion is sought, my first response is to ask if they really want it. The usual reply is something like "Um, no". And that person never asks again. Problem solved.

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
JMHO but inquisitive is asking once, nosey is asking 2+ times. I wouldn't worry about it though, unless those weird or inappropriate comments are being directed at you, personally. Or, you find yourself in the middle and are asked/forced to take sides. Those types of people are no friends.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think it's more inquisitive if you've got alarm bells going off that it could be something deeper. Like your suspicions are raised that something is going on that could hurt someone be it mentally or physically. Although sometimes when that happens to me I just want to run the other way and not get involved. But sometimes I do think we get little subconscious warnings that something is off. It's probably worse when my kids are involved somehow. They are still young enough that I don't just trust anyone. Maybe that will never change.