At What Age To Introduce Raw To A Kitten?

Blue Bug

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have my first bottle fed orphan.
I currently have a fur clan of two dogs (2yr male, 4 mt puppy female) and two cats (8 yr old male and 5 yr old female).

The two dogs are on 100% raw and the female cat is too. The female cat, Scully, is a feral that now lives with us. She is content to be around and is slowly starting to let me pet her. But she is mostly happy to do her own thing.

The male cat, Moggy, was a stray I found 4 years ago. I've tried many times to switch him to raw, but he always gets an upset tummy even with probiotics and very slow introduction.

So the next fur baby is the kitten. She is somewhere between 3 or 4 wks old.

When would be a good time to start showing her raw food? She is currently on KMR milk. Would she need some probiotics before starting to eat solids?

I feed a variety of foods from Hare Today with added supplements, Taurine etc. I do not offer whole prey. But might get some pinkies for the kitten at some point.

Thanks in advance for any tips and advice.

Ardina

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I started my kitten on raw as soon as I adopted her at ~8 weeks. She kind of transitioned herself as she discovered the raw food that Saipha was eating and immediately butted in to steal some. Never had any digestive upset.

I imagine you can start offering her some around 4-6 weeks, whenever you would normally start weaning a kitten. Probably easiest to start with ground, but definitely offer her chunks, meat on bone, and whole prey once she gets the hang of eating solid food. I started early with my kitten, and now she devours whole chicken necks and wings, bone and all. She's much better at eating chunks and whole prey than Saipha, who I didn't introduce to raw until she was almost 2 years old.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As soon as a kitten can eat solid food with no problem, that's a good time to offer raw. My Aby was weaned right onto commercial raw food.