At my wits end

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just don't know what to do about this meowing/howling problem that we have with Harley. I posted about this before & got some feedback about building an outdoor enclosure, but thats not going to happen before winter, and we need to keep him in during the winter.

He simply cannot be bored. We try to interact with him as much as possible, he always has food & water, he has a playmate - Bayley, a nice large house to play around in, toys.

He is ALWAYS at the doors trying to get outside. Always. He gets out about 2-3 times a day, because when I have my arms full with Landon and I come in from being outside with him, he'll always be sitting at the door. Most of the time it's in the evening and I've spent countless hours outside looking for him. He's always waking up my son at night, going into the rooms howling, in the hallways outside our rooms. It's just getting so old and really quite annoying
His meowling/howling is so loud, you can hear him no matter where he is in the house.

He's 5 years old, neutered and we've never had this issue before. I think if we take him outside more often, he'll want to be out more. He simply will not survive as an outdoor cat since he's been inside for 5 years.

Any advice? I just don't know what to do anymore

cassiopeiae13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had a howling issue with my cat for the LONGEST time, then started leaving a light on downstairs/in the living room when I went to bed, and never had a problem again.

I know it sounds weird right? A cat afraid of the dark? Strange, but it worked for me. I did some research about howling cats and most places said to just leave a light on.

I now have nightlights throughout every room in my house and I don't have any issues at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wish that was simply the problem, but he does it all day long too

cassiopeiae13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hmm... Well Meda howls if she's in a room I'm not in, actually Cailan does too, only I can call Cail, so he'll come running and stop howling. Meda I can't really do that with so I just live with it. Heh

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
You may want to have his thyroid checked. My vet said that howling can be a symptom of hyperthyroidism.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by katachtig

You may want to have his thyroid checked. My vet said that howling can be a symptom of hyperthyroidism.
Originally Posted by cococat

Sounds like a visit to the vet is needed.
My thoughts exactly. Check up and blood work at this point, since this is relatively new behavior.

Let us know what you find out.

farleyv

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My hyperthyroid cat Arthur is a crier all day long. It is most definately an HT sign.

Bloodwork will tell.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks guys! I'll try & get him into the vet soon to see what they can do.

He's been marked as 'aggressive' at the vet, so this should be a fun trip

white cat lover

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
If you use the same vet I do, they're very good. They've had to "man handle" more than one of my cats who have tried to kill them.

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by white cat lover

If you use the same vet I do, they're very good. They've had to "man handle" more than one of my cats who have tried to kill them.
I don't have a vet here yet Nat, can you PM me with the one you use?

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
While you're there, ask them to check his teeth. Spooky doesn't yowl, but she definitely gets really vocal and even more needy than usual when her teeth hurt. I've mentioned this to others, and in a number of cases, it has been the teeth.