At My Wit's End: Itchy Cat

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm back with another thread about my itchy cat.

I cannot pill Katie. Absolutely cannot do it. Tried today and she bit through my thumb. This was after I had wrapped her up in a towel lie a burrito. My arm is also rather scratched up as well.

I can't seem to help her with her itchiness. I am supposed to take her back to the vet next month for a rabies booster, but in the meantime, what do I do? She has licked her spine bloody and just seems miserable. Another vet suggested Benedryl, which is how I've ended up in the situation I'm in currently. I've done coconut oil, changed her food to a better quality brand, tried chamomile tea for her skin, wiped her down with damp cloths, tried liquid medicines...nothing is working.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried those pill pocket treats? Or put the pill in her food?

Can the pill be broken into smaller pieces to hide in her food?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She eats around it every time. I’ve tried countless ways. The smaller pills don’t work either. Once she figures out I’m trying to give her medicine, she is ready for all out war.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
IM wondering if I should get her a surgical suit or e collar to stop her from overgrooming.

cheeser

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
IM wondering if I should get her a surgical suit or e collar to stop her from overgrooming.
Maybe you could try a baby onesie until you can get the itchiness under control?

You mentioned that you've tried better quality food. Have you tried eliminating specific proteins and/or ingredients from your kitty's diet? Our cat was pretty miserable and scratching himself raw until we finally started making some progress re: getting his food allergies sorted out.

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had a cat that did this. She would lick and pull her hair until it was red and bleeding. Ended up putting some oil in her food. It seemed to help, but it never cleared up totally. Turned out it was nerves. For some reason, she stressed easily. We never did find out what was causing the stress, but the oil helped the skin issue.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Maybe you could try a baby onesie until you can get the itchiness under control?

You mentioned that you've tried better quality food. Have you tried eliminating specific proteins and/or ingredients from your kitty's diet? Our cat was pretty miserable and scratching himself raw until we finally started making some progress re: getting his food allergies sorted out.

:yeah:

A food change to rule out possible intolerances to ingredients can take at least a couple of weeks before you see any noticable results, if any. Brand of food doesn't matter if it still contains something that your cat just can't tolerate and breaks out in itches from it. Intolerances to chicken, grains, gums, and starches are common and there are many others. It's probably easiest to start with proteins. Have you tried novel proteins like rabbit and vension or even kangaroo?

backwoodsvet

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I've used L-lysine on FHV infected cats and other cats with various skin conditions with pretty good results but never tried it on an itchy cat but if it's a skin condition it may help and you'd know in a day or two.....but if ya run out of things to try, try half a tablet crushed up in wet food once a day for a few days and if it does'nt work, no harm, no foul and it's tasteless so should'nt have a taste-masking issue.................

carebare

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am dealing with a similar issue: miliary dermatitis, bald patches, cannot pill the cat, very miserable cat, vet tests not helping. Benadryl must be very bitter, and only helped a little. He also had colitis and conjunctivitis.

What I did was found a vet that would give him a $20 cortisteroid shot, which helps depending on the diagnosis (I beleive allergy or autoimmune issues). It definitely helped my cat. Also flea med. I am working on ruling out the allergen, and he is on a rabbit or lamb diet (especially no chicken and no fish ingredients) because he won't eat prescription food. I am also trying to reduce his stress. His colitis and conjunctivitis cleared pretty quickly. His itchy skin is taking time, but he's improved and not as miserable. The vet thinks it could be food or the antibiotics that triggered his hives.

coffeecat2420

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My cat's doctors recommended a minimum of 6 to 8 weeks for a limited ingredient food trial. A steroid injection or pill may give your kitty some relief while you try to stabilize her.

My poor cat stopped responding to prednisolone but really saw improvement with methylprednisolone. I do not want her to be on drugs, but when you have a cat destroying herself, you get to a point where you'll do almost anything for her to get relief. Also, the open lesions/wounds just lead to infections and more drugs (antibiotics) — a slippery slope. Once she was switched to methylpred and had two applications of Tresaderm on her open wounds from overgrooming, she finally healed!

Lucky for me, my cat is very food motivated. I did have problems with her eating around pills in pill pockets, cheese, etc. (plus, it's very difficult to use these tricks on a limited ingredient diet!), but now I crush 1/2 or 1/4 tablet into her evening meal and she eats it no problem. She gets a probiotic, too, because she is on the maintenance steroid (I pray I can wean her off someday). She eats mainly raw but gets supplemental canned food on occasion. I have not completely determined what sets her off foodwise, but she is mostly stable and that is a blessing! Chicken, turkey, beef, and fish are common food allergies for many cats, I believe.

We are still working with a dermatologist and using an allergen injection every two weeks for environmental allergies, but it remains to be seen if this is working for her. Coming up on 12 months of injections in March, and now the doctor's office tells me it could take up to 18 months to see results. I am doubtful but want to see it through so I don't question myself down the road about having done everything for her.

weemomma

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Update on my itchy cat:

I ended up taking Katie to the vet today. She has scratched her head raw. The vet seems to suspect a severe flea allergy so they have given her an antibiotic and a steroid that are long lastingly injections. I do not have to medicate her!!!! That is the best news I’ve had all week.