At home euthanasia vs. vet's office

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise

It happens all the time with my cat, and I get her fluids done at the vets office!

But it doesn't seem to bother her, and they must have been more careful the other day after I mentioned it to them, because she wasn't crinkling last night.

I have to talk to them about the amount she's getting, it may be too much for a 7 lb cat. I notice the night she gets it done, before she has absorbed it all - it throws her balance off since the fluid seems to settle in her leg. And then the next day she sounds like an Easter basket. Bizarre, for sure.
Oh I'm sorry but I had to giggle about sounding like an Easter basket.  
  That's funny.  My vet said I pretty much couldn't overdose Travis with fluids.  It does settle in his leg sometimes and he looks funny.  I always watch him for 1/2 hour or so after I give him the subq just to make sure he's okay, because even though I've done it a bunch of times, it always looks so weird!  But he's fine with it and it's sure making him feel better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Haha, betsygee. You have to try to find some humor - or at least I do - or I'll drive myself crazy!

Thanks for the info peaches, puts my mind at ease - especially since she doesn't have a definite diagnosis I always wonder if it could be somethng else... and I'm a worrier. If there is anything to fret about, I'm on it! I guess since she is compromised she's not absorbing as quickly as she could. They do always check her to make sure she's absorbing before they give her more, but I've noticed sometimes it takes quite a while for the pocket of fluids to dissipate once it has settled.

I've definitely noticed - or should I say not noticed - that she wasn't crinkling this AM, so maybe since I brought it to their attention they'll be a little more careful, if there's anything they can do differently to keep this from happpening.

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Just wondering how you're all doing....  
All things considered, pretty well - even though the past couple of days have been diarrhea days, therefore not eating much and unhappy. I've been treating her with Pro-Pectin and things seem to be looking up - she ate this AM with little prompting. but thank you for asking

But she has been social on my lap and purring, coming into bed and saying "good morning", wanting to visit the outside for small stints, so even the not-so-good days aren't terrible.

The eating cat-food this AM made me happy since last night was baby food, and I only save that for emergencies.

I would say good days to bad days are 65/35 or 70/30.

I watched that kidney video (very good if you havent seen it - Under "your kidneys are calling" I think on the home screen) and it was very informative on sub-q administration, and I've been getting encouragement and tips from other members. I think next time we go to the vet, I'm going to do the needle (with a tech's hand behind mine in case I get flaky - they are very patient), and prime the fluids with them watching. Since she really does best with fluids every other day, I really have to learn to do this at home - and she's a good girl and doesn't fight the process.

So all in all, we're status quo. I'll admit I am curious to see what her white count is, but I'll wait a few weeks for another blood panel. (I'm in cancer denial) I was reading an article about cats and grief, and they said that stress can raise the white count, also the deep depression they go into by losing a companion pet can cause a whole host of other health problems, and that's when she fell apart, right after his passing. I'm not sure if I mentioned in this thread, but that same article talked about the depression they feel being so intense they can lose the will to live. Very curious the timing of all this.

But thanks again for asking, we're just toddling along. She's not quite the same cat she was before she lost her brother, a bit more withdrawn and not as "freakishly happy" as she once was, but in the big picture doing as well as we can hope for.

Thanks again for thinking of us

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Aw, thanks for the update. Glad to hear she's still having good days. She sure is a fighter. 
That she is - for such a bitty little thing. The people at the vets office call her one of their "miracle cats" - A badge to wear proudly, I'd think!

Edited to add: I shouldn't talk this way, i think I'm jinxing her, came home to a very unwell kitty. I wish I could do something.

Last edited:

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Excuse the back to back posts... I have a 6:15 tonight and I'm going to try my hardest to do the fluids at the vets office.

Maybe a couple of times of me doing them there... we can transition to my doing them at home alone and her not turning into Difficult Cat. She is Super Easy Cat at the office, but she's usually back in the lab area and surrounded by people so she's smart enough to just stay curled up in her box - she's not getting anywhere.

At home, we could have a different story on out hands! I wish you all could be there giving me the much needed pat on the back! I have no problem pilling her - it's just that needle... eek.

Wish me luck!

Last edited:

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You'll get it.  The poke is the worst part.  Once you get past that and give warmed fluids, she'll be fine.  She's already used to getting fluids, it'll just be in a different location and different administrator.

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I could use some virtual TCS vibes at 6:15 tonight!

I'll be able to tell when I broke the skin with the needle?

My tech told me he usually gives a little fluid and then once the area already has some fluid then he pushes it all the way in.

I think they are giving her too much fluid, and I recall reding somewhere a cat can be given too much fluid with negative consequences. 200cc's every other day for a 7.5 lb cat? but them some people believe you can't over fluid a cat.

I'd be more comfy with 150ccs or maybe 125. I'll talk to them about that later.

Oh and peaches... was it you that mentioned my fish too? I can't scroll back that far. I saved him! I couldn't believe it, saving a sick fish is really difficult. He his usual super feisty, goofy betta self again.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can absolutely overdo the fluids, I did it once with my old Grey.  She ended up being OK, and I never overdid the fluids again.  She was better off with less fluids and more often. 

You will know when you broke the skin.  Actually, their skin is much tougher than you'd think.  It really is more like poking into an orange than a towel.  You have to get a little force behind it to penetrate the skin, and that's the hardest part when you're starting out.  Over time, you won't think much of it anymore.  It's perfectly natural to not want to hurt your kitty.  That poke is an unnatural thing, but just as getting an insulin injection helps a diabetic, your kitty getting fluids helps her.  THAT'S the thinking that has to win in the end.  I just couldn't face putting my cat to sleep because I wouldn't do her fluids.  And that's the verbage I had to face:  not that I couldn't do the fluids, but that my fear was making it a "wouldn't" do the fluids.  That's what made me "suck it up" and learn how to help my cat.  Warming the fluids and not doing a super slow poke made the procedure easier for her, and since she enjoyed the warm fluids, I felt better about giving them.  Getting help at the vet office is a terrific idea.  They'll be right there and telling the little tips and tricks.  Even if today is just watching and the next time you actually administer them, fine.  It's a start.  And we're all behind you!

Great about the fish!  Who knows with fish.  I had a fish as a kid that we thought was about to die, and that night he was fine.

Last edited:

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the cheerleading! That's where I'm at. She really needs every other day, but with my job, etc - plus I go to bed super early. It's a huge chunk of my free time.

So it's "can't" vs. "won't" and I couldn't live with "can't" just because I'm a wuss.

When your cat was given too much fluids, what were his/her reactions. My girl is bad with her balance lately, she jumped from the bed to the bedside table this AM (right next to each other obviously) and fell onto the floor, poor thing. I really think these excess fluids are settling into her one leg and possibly not being absorbed.

peaches08

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

When your cat was given too much fluids, what were his/her reactions. My girl is bad with her balance lately, she jumped from the bed to the bedside table this AM (right next to each other obviously) and fell onto the floor, poor thing. I really think these excess fluids are settling into her one leg and possibly not being absorbed.
There was that, but she also had a general malaise about her.  Like she just didn't feel well.  She probably had a headache from the increased blood pressure (due to increased blood volume from picking up the fluids).  I reduced the amount and increased frequency, and that worked much better for her.

cocheezie

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yes, you can give too much fluids (especially dangerous if there are heart/hypertension issues). Fluids make the heart work.

My vet said 100 ml for my 6+ pound cat. I'm beginning to think that like @peaches08  that a reduced amount and increased frequency would help my cat more.

When you are at the vet (and good luck with the fluids!), put your hand over the lump of fluid so you can get an idea of the size of the lump and the amount of fluid it contains.

We are not all professionals at giving sub-q fluids. There will be hits and misses. Eventually they are taken in stride. Last night, she moved on me and the needle came out. Stuck it back in quickly. Later during the process, I was daydreaming and not paying attention but wondered why the lump wasn't getting bigger, then realized that the needle had come out again and the fluid was running down her side underneath her fur where I couldn't see it, and soaking my bed!

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For me, it did take practice, not only with the actual doing, but mentally as well. I was a little rough around the edges the first week. 
  I've been giving Sebastian 100 ml of fluids since October. We started out at twice a week. After some experimenting, it turns out he does better getting them every other day, so that's where we've been for awhile now. I'd be happy to post our fluid routine from start to finish if you're interested. Every routine is different depending on the person and the cat, so you will likely end up at a natural process that works best for the both of you.

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She actually does have a heart murmur. Now I'm wondering if I should take her in tonight or wait until maybe tomorrow. (I have a vet that is open Sat and Sun!!)

She's been getting 200ccs for 7.5 lbs every other day, and since her health is compromised it takes longer for her to absorb I think - but I really do think it's building up in her leg and throwing off her balance. This morning when she fell - jumping less that a foot and a half from the bed to the nightstand - onto the floor *broke my heart*...

I really can't see how any of her other issues would be affecting her balance unless it's just from being weak from lack of food/nutrition.

But when I tried to stretch the fluid intake to every 4 days, she didn't seem well either. Maybe 100ccs every other day would work best.

Well I cancelled the fluids for tonight, I'm going to take her in tomorrow. Plus my very favorite and knowledgeable vet tech is working so he'll work with me and be able to answer my questions and take my concerns seriously. He's so nice and we are big fans of each other and he adores my little girlkitty. I feel more comfortable with him "training" me etc. I'm really thinking that she should be getting more like 100ccs. This tech will give her less if I ask and totally address my concerns to the best of his knowledge, he's really my favorite - I made sure he was the tech that was going to be in the room when I had to put my boy down, no one else.

Peaches, thanks! You're a peach
 Your kitty had balance issues as well? Roni has that general mailaise about her too, but she is also throwing up a lot and has the runs. So many people have been saying that you can't really OD your kitty on fluids, but my gut is telling me that isn't true. I really have to remember to tune into the expert forum next week with Dr Kris and CKD kitties. I can't find the link to the video, I'd like to watch it again - I do recommend it.

OK, leaving now so I can go home and love my kittycat.

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

For me, it did take practice, not only with the actual doing, but mentally as well. I was a little rough around the edges the first week. 
  I've been giving Sebastian 100 ml of fluids since October. We started out at twice a week. After some experimenting, it turns out he does better getting them every other day, so that's where we've been for awhile now. I'd be happy to post our fluid routine from start to finish if you're interested. Every routine is different depending on the person and the cat, so you will likely end up at a natural process that works best for the both of you.
I suspect it will be, but I had to give my mother injections years ago - but it was a tiny needle into muscle. I went to her docs and they has this "fleshy" thing that I could poke and poke and poke until I felt comfy doing it on my mom. The first couple of times was a bit nervewracking, but she was able to reassure me that it didn't hurt and I was doing it right. Roni can't do that.

So, I'll just have to remind myself that I did it on a person - I can do this too. I am confused by the poking and the priming and what gets stuck into what and what you can't touch... I will let you know if I need a routine - thank you, I'll probably make a cheat sheet with numbered steps the first time I do it at home!

Plus that cat is so good with getting poked... they got a batch of bad needles a few weeks ago and she had to get poked 4 times because of defective needles that went in but leaked, and she didn't even flich or fuss. It's in my head, and I just have to get past the "first time jitters".

Thanks all, everyone has been so supportive of me and Roni

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
For those who have been following my plight, with my trusted tech by my side yesterday, I did it! With an 18 gauge needle no less. I have yet to do it on my own at home, but I think I can!

It's not that bad for anyone that is afraid like I was. If I can do it, anyone can! :sun:

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
YAY GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!! :nurse: ;) I wanted to post this video link to anyone who wants to learn more about giving Subq Fluids by Dr. Kristopher Chandroo who is a Canadian veterinarian and a member on site who is currently hosting our Guest Expert Forum . This is an excellent training aid and visual for anyone wanting to learn how to do subq's on their own.

Video Link showing the How To's to SubQ's. http://www.iwillhelpyourcat.com/iwillhelpyourcat-videos/

Last edited:

wasabipea

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
YAY GOOD FOR YOU!!!!!!
I wanted to post this video link to anyone who wants to learn more about giving Subq Fluids by Dr. Kristopher Chandroo who is a Canadian veterinarian and a member on site who is currently hosting our Guest Expert Forum . This is an excellent training aid and visual for anyone wanting to learn how to do subq's on their own.

Video Link showing the How To's to SubQ's. http://www.iwillhelpyourcat.com/iwillhelpyourcat-videos/
Thank you
 (I like the nurse smiley - lol) and YES that is an excellent how-to video, and I give it a big part of the credit for me finally finding the gumption to feel prepared enough to do it! (and I was super skittish for months). thank you again Dr. Kris.

A definitely must watch for those that think they can't, very informative and inspirational.

goholistic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For those who have been following my plight, with my trusted tech by my side yesterday, I did it! With an 18 gauge needle no less. I have yet to do it on my own at home, but I think I can!

It's not that bad for anyone that is afraid like I was. If I can do it, anyone can!
Yeah!