At end of litter box rope!

canadian cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In brief, I adopted my orange tabby Max about three years ago when he was about 18 mos old. He has NEVER used the litter box to pee. He'll use it for poo but that's it. He pees on hard surfaces such as tile floors only.

I have another cat who I adopted six weeks after Max. They are inseparable and amazing together. The second cat has zero issues. Both are neutered.

I have two litter boxes upstairs and one downstairs and they are both kept clean.

I have no clue how to proceed. He simply will not use a litter box to go pee. I've considered leaving a litter box without litter available to him. Not sure if this is a good idea though.

When I adopted him he was in a separate room at the local shelter and I'm starting to wonder if he was surrendered for this very reason.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! I don't want to give him up but I can't continue to deal with this problem.

tulosai

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have no clue how to proceed. He simply will not use a litter box to go pee. I've considered leaving a litter box without litter available to him. Not sure if this is a good idea though.

Hi and welcome! 

First, has he been checked out medically regarding this problem? If not, it is really important  that he have a complete check up.

If his health is all clear, I'd definitely do a variation on what you suggest- I'd have a litterbox with his preferred surface to pee on- in your case I'd put some tile in it.  It sounds bizarre, but could really work. 

Another idea is buying cat attract litter.  Have you tried feliway? Have you tried adding one more box?

Good luck.  I know how frustrating this problem must be. 

simbamowgli

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Seems like a problem! You don't want kitty pee everywhere!

It may be that Max simply believes that he can't pee in the sand. 

I suggest moving the litter box around, as well as using odor-free litters, as some cats are sensitive to that.

Also, try getting a bigger litter box. 

Best of luck!

SimbaMowgli

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

If his health is all clear, I'd definitely do a variation on what you suggest- I'd have a litterbox with his preferred surface to pee on- in your case I'd put some tile in it.  It sounds bizarre, but could really work. 
You know; that is a great idea!  I know I've seen tile retirements for cheap at the hardware store before too.  I think it's worth a shot.  Does he have a favorite spot to pee in?  Perhaps try putting a box with the tile in it in that spot?  If that works you could try moving the box to a better location if it's not an ideal spot now.

mamabirdy

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Does your other cat pee in all the boxes? Have you tried soaking up some of the pee in some kitchen roll and putting it in the litter box? I've seen that suggested in several posts before.