At a loss of what to do.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I brought my cat Jinxy over 3 and a half years ago now. Anyway she has been my little heart cat since my best friend , that was until 3 months ago when our cat Allan (a girl) had 2 kittens , 2 boys , Jinxy has grown up around kittens and before being spayed had kittens of her own ,but these kittens spook her. She refuses to come in the house ect unless the kittens are locked away (they are 3 months old now) I even thought it would be best to re home her but in two homes she never settled at all and i got her back , I have tried keeping the kittens away from her but she will only come in when they are locked away , I feel really guilty for her , tonight I had to prise her in off the street and I got Jinxy to spend 10 minutes with the kittens with the help of some cat meat and treats , but the second the kittens (Alpacino and Trevor) and Jinx had finished their "treat meal" Jinxy freaked out and hid at the top of the cuboards.

Do I keep trying to get them to spend time together so Jinx gets used to it or what? I love her and hate that she cant settle unless she lives here with me. I know she is not eating as good as she used to be because of the lack of time in the house so when I do get her in I make sure she has lost of fuss and a good meal and drink.

Anyway sorry for waffling on , just want to know if anyone else has experienced this! x

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Little update , after her feast of affection and food , Jinx slept soundly in the house for 30 minutes , so i think I will keep introducing her to longer periods with the boys to maybe adjust her x

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I've found that almost all cats will eventually at least tolerate other cats. Some never get cuddly.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are they all spayed/neutered now? Hormones really complicate cat relationships, and she might be scared to come in to a mother cat's territory and associate with another female's kittens. I think things should improve once everybody is fixed (the kittens can mate as early as 4 months, so don't wait too long!). It's true that some cats will never adjust to other cats, but in this case it sounds like she just doesn't want to intrude on Allan's territory.

natalie_ca

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They will eventually become tolerable with each other. As already said, they may never be best friends.

I do have to ask why you are considering rehoming a cat you have had for 3 years in favour of keeping new arrivals that are only a few months old? IMHO I would look to rehoming the new comers as they are kittens and are more easily adopted than an older cat. And besides, she was there first.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Both kittens are due to be "fixed" in 4.5 weeks. They were supposed to be going to a home 2 weeks ago but the more i got too know the "new owner" the more I was frightend she wouldnt take good enough care of them , we do have 1 more couple who are considering having them but they still in decideing way , I would never purposly choose to Rehome Jinx first at all it was just the two people we tried are close I would get to see all the time and at the point Jinx wouldnt even come in the house to eat and I was frightend she would literally starve to death.

Now me and my family have decided we will keep the boys and Jinx if they start being more happy together if not the boys will have to be rehomed , there are sooo sooo many people in my area selling/giving away kittens people are not interested and we have the space and time to take care of the kittens plus my brother (who is serverly autistic) is so incrediably attached to them.

***update**

Jinx came in the house on her own tonight , she came and settled on my lap for a while , then nervously walked to the cat area to eat , Alpacino approached her and she took 2 steps back then went back to the bowl and carelessly ate , she is now sleeping on top of the cuboards ... praying she does come round and settle! *fingers crossed* thanks for your advice/opinions x

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you taken Jinx to the vet? There's another member here who thought the problem with their cat was the introduction of kittens. Turned out it was a coincidence, though the stress of the situation exacerbated the problem. They thought their cat wasn't happy because of the kittens, when, in fact, the kitty was sick.

junior_j

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by LDG

Have you taken Jinx to the vet? There's another member here who thought the problem with their cat was the introduction of kittens. Turned out it was a coincidence, though the stress of the situation exacerbated the problem. They thought their cat wasn't happy because of the kittens, when, in fact, the kitty was sick.
I did wonder? I will get her booked in with the vet to our mind at rest , though she is eating/toileting/showing affection to me brilliant , her coat and teeth looks great (she is already spayed) but It would be worth checking her out to be sure. My mum said when she got up this morning Jinxy was on the kitchen side (tutut she knows she shouldnt be up there) and was meowing and purring to my mum , she then ate and went to sleep in the cat area... I think she is slowely coming round to the idea the kittens wont harm here. Jinxy is also staying by Baxter (my 2 year old german shepard) and my sausage dog janey she loves the dogs and all the other cats , she is a funy kitty! xx