At a loss (Diarrhea)

midnightpavo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First of all; hello. I’m here about my 13yr old Maine coon mix who has a major problem.

For the past 3 or 4 months he has had non-stop diarrhea. He only lets out a little at a time but it’s pure liquid and a lot of gas(heard from across the house) and he goes about every hour. Our other cat has had normal stool the whole time and they share a litter box.
The food they eat is the elderly science diet. The diarrhea started about a month before I switched them over from Halo brand food; which has been discontinued.

Im at a loss as what to do and cannot afford the vet. It breaks my heart banning him from half the house from his dirty rear end and hearing him struggle with the bathroom all the time

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know what else to suggest other than a vet visit, especially at his age. How long ago has it been since he has seen the vet and had a full senior check up? So many things can go awry when they hit that age, and it could be food intolerances even if he started the diarrhea before the first food change you did. Some cats, and likely even more so with older ones, become intolerant to foods even when they have been on them for a long time. The other worrisome thing is weight loss and dehydration from so much diarrhea for so long. How is he doing otherwise?

Do you have a good rapport with your vet where they might be willing to set up a payment plan? Relatives you could get a loan from? Apply for a Care Credit card?

5 Creative New Ways to Pay for Vet Care

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi welcome to the Cat site! XO

Okay I know you said you can't afford a vet, and I'm not one but hat long diarrhea is not good. He needs a vet. Something's not right. Seriously.

Since it started before the food change - anything else happens that maybe the culprit?

How is his hydration as that much diarrhea, for that long, I'd be worried about his hydration levels.

I'm not a vet so I'm very reluctant to say this, but, you could try adding things like pumpkin (no spices - plain canned pumpkin ONLY) and a tiny bit pinch of Medimucil (edited as screwed up with some sort of autocorrect or brain malfunction somehow) added to the food (assuming it's wet food) twice a day to see if it helps firm up. To be honest, without knowing what's going on in his tummy I'm nervous to even suggest that.

He really needs a vet.

I don't know where you are located but if you are in the USA, one of these might help:

No Money For Vet Care? How To Find Help And Save Your Cat’s Life – Cat Articles

You are in my thoughts.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

midnightpavo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Other than the diarrhea and lack of grooming; he is very active, plays with the other cat daily, drinks plenty of water, eager to eat and overall acts normal.
He has never really had a vet. He went once when a kitten and again when he was about 8 years old for a general checkup. That was years ago in a different state. Finances and help are nonexistent.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
What is/was in each of the foods he has been on? Can you find a common thread in all of them? Such as they are all chicken based? If so, move away from chicken to another protein - but, don't do an abrupt change. So, that means mixing a little new with some old, and over the next week or so, decrease old and increase new. Also, you can give the pumpkin a go (canned, no additives) but don't do the Miralax - that is for trying to get relief from constipation (sorry F FeralHearts , no offense intended). Metamucil would be the next thing after pumpkin. Also, hoping other members will come along with some probiotics suggestions, which might be another option.

Edit: what color is the diarrhea?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

midnightpavo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Diarrhea is medium brown. Past food was Halo whitefish and salmon; current food is Science Diet (11+) chicken flavor. I tried keeping it fish but it wasn’t a possibility.

what does the pumpkin do?

FeralHearts

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Miralax - that is for trying to get relief from constipation (sorry F FeralHearts , no offense intended). Metamucil
None taken at all. That was autocorrected for some reason overwriting Metamucil / fiber. I've deleted it from my auto-add or whatever it is and edit the above post to be accurate.

I'm an idiot for not double-checking my post. So thank you.

M midnightpavo I apologize for the confusion.

Last edited: