At A Loss- Cat Peeing Outside Boxes

Battlestarkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have 3 cats all 4 years old. Helo is a friendly but submissive cat. Kara and Apollo are dominate litter mates. Helo and Kara were together for 3 years before we got Apollo. (He was a friend’s cat but when he got married his wife’s 2 cats didn’t get alone with his 2 cats so we took him) When we got Apollo we noticed he and Kara began trying to establish dominance. Then we moved to a new house (with new carpet). In the new house they both started ganging up on Helo. Kara has been waiting for Helo to use the litter box and she attacks him. Since then we’ve found “accidents” on the carpet, rug, bath mat and carpet protectors. We have 4 uncovered litter boxes, 3 different sizes with 3 different litters. They’re scattered throughout the house but it’s small and there isn’t a good place for any of them. We had a baby about 5 months ago so we don’t let the cats in the baby’s room. Helo sits outside the baby’s door waiting for me to come out. I’m at a loss.. I don’t know what to do. He has been to the vet. We have two cat trees in two different areas. This has been going on for a year and I’m frustrated. I’m looking for any advice.
I always planned to keep my cats forever but at this point I wonder if I’m being selfish by making Helo suffer because I don’t want to find him a healthier home. I would never take him to the pound but is it time to consider looking for a better home for him? Please help!!!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Would it be possible to introduce Helo to the baby a bit more directly so they're both comfortable, and then give him supervised access to the baby's room, and then hopefully more time there, so he can get a break from the other cats?

Do you utilize calming products? Can you find the time (challenging, I know :) ) to play with and love on Helo a lot so build up his confidence? Try some classical harp music too - it's known to help cats relax.

Cats And Babies: All Your Questions Answered!

If you find you do need to rehome him, this article may help;

"kittens To Good Homes" - How To Find A Good Forever Home For Your Kittens

Rummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Do you have a room where you can keep a litter box and have the door shut? If yes, you could install a cat door with a magnetic key to get in and put a collar with said key on Helo so only he can enter. That way he has a pooping room all to himself. Would probably work well with a bathroom or a laundry room or even just a closet that you install a door on.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
On that excellent thought of Rummy's, if you don't have a door, you could do something similar with a large box that sits over his litterbox, with a cat flap coded just for him :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Battlestarkitties

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your responses! I will try both suggestions!!! I have not used any calming products. Do you have any suggestions for those?

Rummy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you so much for your responses! I will try both suggestions!!! I have not used any calming products. Do you have any suggestions for those?
Most people reccomend feliway. I've never personally used it but it's usually people's go to pheromone diffuser.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
https://meowspace.biz/product/buy-meowspace/

and here are some more calming products for you to consider;
Only Natural Pet has a product called Just Relax Calming spray with essential oil (catnip oil).

Richard's Organics Pet Calm-this one is drops that you put on the tip of the tongue. Also, Quiet Moments Cat treats, and there is Calming Care, Calm-o-mile, Sentry, Natures Miracle calming spray, Vetri-Science's Composure is another item to look at, Pet Remedy (it has valerian) is yet another, as is Essential Pet Pet-ease, Only Natural Pet (brand and website) has calming products, Pet Naturals also has one I believe.

Also Thunderease has diffusers as does Sentry, Comfort Zone and feliway as mentioned although diffusers are expensive and not always the answer.

If it's legal where you are, you might want to check with your vet but some people have good results with CBD oil, plus there are vet-prescribed calming products too.
Lambert Vet Supply is a website to look at, and of course chewy, also there's Petwishpros, animaleo, 1-800-petmeds, Petco and PetSmart, and other pet stores.

There is also a product called a lickimat which could be helpful, as cats can be calmed by the process of licking. The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

This discussion's post talks about some other products;
Calming Treats For A Very Picky Cat