Asymptomatic Giardia - Probiotics?

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have two sibling kitties about 8 months old that we adopted ~ 2 months ago.   Just after we got them we took them to our vet and they checked out healthy except for positive for giardia.  However they aren't showing any symptoms.  Sorry I don't know the names of the medication we received - originally the vet prescribed a liquid we had to administer with a syringe.  But because Link and Navi were still very timid and traumatized every time we had to catch them, the vet gave us a powder that is normally prescribed for dogs that we could sprinkle on their food.  This was once a day for three days.

So yesterday we had their follow-up fecal test and they are still positive for giardia.   The vet says that we could treat them again, but since they are not showing any symptoms he recommended giving them probiotics and re-test in 2 months to see if they get rid of it on their own. 

This was on a voice mail and I haven't called back yet, but wondering if anyone else has used probiotics in this situation and if they have any they recommend.  I can get some from the vet but I can probably find a cheaper source.

Thanks!

red top rescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have had great success with the probiotic Saccharomyces boulardii.  It is inexpensive, easy to find online , and you just add it to their food twice a day.  It takes about three weeks or so but it will get rid of that and some other things too.  Search S. boulardii in our search bar at the top of the page to see other threads where it has been mentioned.  It also cured my cousin of C. diff (Clostridium difficile) when two courses of two different antibiotics had failed.  This is the one I have been using:

http://www.pipingrock.com/acidophil...lfuBTSKM9cPcS-Y2YAfrwSz6_jkfgGr34pBoCaY7w_wcB

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarah430

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you!  My research had led me to S. boulardii so good to know that you've had great success with it.  I bought some and started them on it yesterday.