astro's CRF oil and N-C scrub?

augie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
i came across the astro's CRF oil for cats and read on another link that you can buy the same ingredients - vitamin E and CoQ10 - cheaper and get more product. however, according to the website, those are not the only ingredients. 

i'm wondering if anyone has used astro's oil and N-C scrub and what their results/opinion are.

my cat is currently taking azodyl, but because he's a big cat he has to have 3 pills a day which is expensive ($85 for bottle of 90 which only lasts a month). also there's the "no food 2 hours before or 1 hour after" which often conflicts with my schedule since he has 2 pills in the morning and 1 at night. also, i read that azodyl readily admits that at least 3 of the cultures are dead before they even reach the vet's office due to possible changes in temperature during shipping.

the astro's CRF oil site says these are the ingredients in that product, so it's not just vitamin e and CoQ10. anyone here have an opinion/experience? thx.

Astro’s CRF Oil is a unique formula created from pharmaceutical grade fish oil with a very high concentration of EPA  (eicosapentaenoic  acid) and DHA(docosahexaenoic acid) which has been deodorized and micro filtered to remove any heavy metals, vitamin E, which also helps keep the fish oil from oxidizing, and a highly bio-available  liquid form of ubiquinone (a higher percentage can be utilized by the body), in concentrations and ratios that are optimal for the treatment of chronic renal failure. This product is totally natural and has no side effects. Administered according to instructions, Astro’s CRF Oil will begin to have noticeable effects within the first 2-4 weeks in most crf pets. It is also a great supplement for healthy pets as it helps protect against many inflammatory diseases. It will give your pet a beautiful coat and will actually stop shedding and skin irritations. It is also recommended for the healthy and precocious mental development  (and according to some studies) trainability of puppies and kittens. Kittens in particular will benefit as studies have determined that kittens are in a  constant state of DHA deficit.

Last edited by a moderator:

margd

Chula and Paul's roommate
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry no one has answered you before now.  It may be that no one knows the answer to your question and unfortunately, that includes me. I have no experience with any of the products you mention so can’t answer your questions.  I do have some feedback I’d like to give you, however. 

If I understand you correctly, you are considering switching from the expensive Azodyl to making up your own version of Astro’s CRF oil.  Is your cat under the care of a vet and what does he or she say?  It’s never a good idea to medicate on your own without at least running your ideas past the vet so this is one source of feedback about your treatment plan.  If you would rather not use pharmaceuticals in treating your cat, there are holistic vets available who will be willing to work with you.   

Is the Azodyl working and is the cost the only reason you want to switch to a different treatment?  If so, it might be possible to find Azodyl at a lower cost than $85.00 for 90 capsules.  I looked it up on amazon and found 90 capsules for $68.44 with free shipping.    Generally, if something is working, you don’t want to make any changes.

If you are only switching to Astro’s CRF oil because of the price, why not just by the Astro CRF oil instead of trying to make your own version?  It’s $29.95 for 60 mL.   The dose for cats and small dogs is only 1.5 mL per day so it would be a considerable cost savings from the Azodyl.

I have to admit that I’d be very hesitant to try to duplicate a formula unless I had an exact recipe with all the precise measurements for each ingredient.  Since you don’t have that exact recipe, it’s hard to see how you end up with essentially the same product.

I’m sorry I can’t be more help but I wish you the best of luck in finding a solution.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

augie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
thank you for your reply and starting a new thread. i am going to try the astro's oil and N-C scrub and closely monitor my cat. one of the things that bothers me about the azodyl is that they admit some cultures are already dead by the time the med reaches the vet due to shipping and handling since it has to be kept cold to keep the cultures alive. even just brining it home from the vet doesn't seem safe to me as they just give you a cold pack in a regular plastic bag. if the med has to be kept cold, i would think it should be immersed in ice, not just put the bottle next to a cold pack which gives uneven temperature control. i'd have even less confidence buying it from amazon for reasons of handling and possibly shipping. i'll follow up on the thread after some time of giving astro's two products to my cat and let you know how he is doing.

flyboy0714

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
thank you for your reply and starting a new thread. i am going to try the astro's oil and N-C scrub and closely monitor my cat. one of the things that bothers me about the azodyl is that they admit some cultures are already dead by the time the med reaches the vet due to shipping and handling since it has to be kept cold to keep the cultures alive. even just brining it home from the vet doesn't seem safe to me as they just give you a cold pack in a regular plastic bag. if the med has to be kept cold, i would think it should be immersed in ice, not just put the bottle next to a cold pack which gives uneven temperature control. i'd have even less confidence buying it from amazon for reasons of handling and possibly shipping. i'll follow up on the thread after some time of giving astro's two products to my cat and let you know how he is doing.

flyboy0714

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
There are a few more options out there for cats with CRF. Standard Process makes a product called Feline Renal Support that's all natural tablets. Also, Pet Wellbeing sells Kidney Support Gold product, made with super things like mushrooms and other all natural products. I just started my cat on Astro's tonight, and it has a very strong fishy smell to it, plus it's very thick to administer. I will continue will the Renal Support tablet in the morning, followed by Kidney Support after AM feeding, then give Astor after PM feeding. We just had his blood drawn yesterday, so I'll give Astor's 1 month and keep you advised!!

augie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Augie, how was the oil, has it made any improvements?
luke is doing very well. i had his bloodwork done about 4 months after putting him on the astro's crf oil and taking him off azodyl. all of his numbers were good so am keeping him on the oil. thank you for asking.

Cheetahchops

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for updating on his condition. My oriental is at stage 1 kidney disease. We just lost the battle with my 9 year old Blue Point Siamese so am interested to explore anything other than just the renal diet food, if it can help. I will see if I can get this in the uk.

augie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
luke eats wet food twice a day which is purina proplan focus urinary tract health. he likes the turkey and giblets best and it comes in a 5.5 oz can whereas the other flavors comes in a 3 oz can. i also add a little water and mix it up to the consistency of thick cake batter. for snacking throughout the day he has the royal canin SO prescription dry food for urinary tract. purina proplan makes a urinary tract health dry food as well but for now i want him to have the SO. the ingredients in the purina proplan urinary tract health are very similiar to the SO, so i have my other cats on it just as a preventive measure. i can't afford to buy everybody the SO. i buy all of my cat food from chewy dot com.

augie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There are a few more options out there for cats with CRF. Standard Process makes a product called Feline Renal Support that's all natural tablets. Also, Pet Wellbeing sells Kidney Support Gold product, made with super things like mushrooms and other all natural products. I just started my cat on Astro's tonight, and it has a very strong fishy smell to it, plus it's very thick to administer. I will continue will the Renal Support tablet in the morning, followed by Kidney Support after AM feeding, then give Astor after PM feeding. We just had his blood drawn yesterday, so I'll give Astor's 1 month and keep you advised!!

augie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
am sure you know you have to keep the astro's CRF oil in the fridge after opening. shake it very well before drawing the amount you need in the pip sent with the bottle. i put the bulb of the pip in warm water and swish it around for about 10 seconds to take the chill off. i give it to luke right before he gets his wet food so he can get the taste out of his mouth. the oil actually smells just like grizzly's salmon oil for cats. sometimes the 2 pips break before i get a new bottle and i use a small syringe (without the needle of course) but you have to run hot water thru it very well or the plunger tip will get stuck. you can't buy the syringes but my vet gives me 3 or 4 whenever i ask and the pharmacist at different pharmacies will give me a couple when i tell them it's for my cat's medicine.
i hope your kitty will respond well to the oil.

annv

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Augie - I know the previous posts were from 2013. I have a 14 year old cat with chronic kidney disease. I'm thinking of trying the Astros oil. Can you give me your opinion on it? Do you believe it helped overall. Did you experience any bad side effects? Thanks for any guidance. This is a rough disease.

Beckettslady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Same here. My kitty is 13. I just bought the Astro Oil kit. My vet wanted to see a list of ingredients, and the website email keeps bouncing back. Doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm interested in the oil, and the scrub. Kitty always vomits when I give her Azodyl.

white shadow

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Beckettslady and welcome to the forum !

There's reliable coverage of Astro's Oil on this reputable site: Tanya's Comprehensive Guide to Feline Chronic Kidney Disease - Treatment of Waste Product Regulation Problems. Notice the caution in there about not stopping Astro's suddenly.

None of the posters in this thread are long-term members here - it's unlikely to hear back from them.

There's a specialized online community for folks with kidney kitties - a description of how it works and a link to it is here: Tanya's Support Group

augie

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Same here. My kitty is 13. I just bought the Astro Oil kit. My vet wanted to see a list of ingredients, and the website email keeps bouncing back. Doesn't fill me with confidence. I'm interested in the oil, and the scrub. Kitty always vomits when I give her Azodyl.
try this link: www.astroscrfoil.com, also you can email do marcovici directly at [email protected]. he was always very responsive to emails. i'm sorry about not answering posts regarding this. i didn't get any notifications until today.