Asthma

Sadiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I m not sure if this issue has been previously addressed. My mother has dementia and asthma post covid, doctor told her no cats in the house. She will be moving in with me as she cannot live alone. I have two cats long haired angora and a tabby. Both shed. I have had them almost 9 yrs, extremely pampered. I can’t imagine parting from them. My priority is my elderly parent. Any suggestions how it can work it? Thank you

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi
My heart goes out to you in such a challenging situation :vibes::hugs:

I believe that grooming them frequently, cleaning the food and water dishes and bowls daily (to cut down on any dried feline saliva), and also cleaning the litterboxes daily. If the litter is dusty you might want to consider a different litter if your cats will accommodate a change. Vacuuming frequently and having an air cleaner or two should help things.

MeezeIfYouPlz

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Without going into the gory details, I have a genetic disorder has lead me to develop another disorder called mast cell activation. Simply put, MCA is a result of my immune system overreacting to everyday things. My immune system thinks the world is out to kill me, so it tries to kill me on a regular basis with its response to these "triggers". One of the many ways my body tries to off me is with asthma attacks.
We have two dogs and three cats that aren't going anywhere, much to my immunologist's dismay.
Here are the things we do to help alleviate my risks:
▪︎ We don't have cloth covered furniture but all the furniture is covered in fitted cloth covers that are washed weekly.
▪︎My husband handles the litter box cleanings and grooming the cats.
▪︎We pay more for filters for our A/C system designed to trap more allergens and have a high capacity air purifier running 24/7.
▪︎My bedroom is off limits to our pets, though we are breaking that rule right now because of having a kitten whose middle name is Mischief.
▪︎I take half a Xyzal at bedtime, though I would have to take it even if we didn't have pets..
In years past I used Allerpet products. The company now makes a product called Allerpet Cat Dander Remover. You can buy it with an application mitt that makes it easier to apply. I haven't tried this particular Allerpet product but I've heard it works well, as do their other products.
I am truly sorry for the struggles you are facing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sadiemom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Without going into the gory details, I have a genetic disorder has lead me to develop another disorder called mast cell activation. Simply put, MCA is a result of my immune system overreacting to everyday things. My immune system thinks the world is out to kill me, so it tries to kill me on a regular basis with its response to these "triggers". One of the many ways my body tries to off me is with asthma attacks.
We have two dogs and three cats that aren't going anywhere, much to my immunologist's dismay.
Here are the things we do to help alleviate my risks:
▪︎ We don't have cloth covered furniture but all the furniture is covered in fitted cloth covers that are washed weekly.
▪︎My husband handles the litter box cleanings and grooming the cats.
▪︎We pay more for filters for our A/C system designed to trap more allergens and have a high capacity air purifier running 24/7.
▪︎My bedroom is off limits to our pets, though we are breaking that rule right now because of having a kitten whose middle name is Mischief.
▪︎I take half a Xyzal at bedtime, though I would have to take it even if we didn't have pets..
In years past I used Allerpet products. The company now makes a product called Allerpet Cat Dander Remover. You can buy it with an application mitt that makes it easier to apply. I haven't tried this particular Allerpet product but I've heard it works well, as do their other products.
I am truly sorry for the struggles you are facing.
Thank you so much for the reply.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
You could try LiveClear
Extra cleaning, air purifier keeping the cats in your bedroom if you have more than one.