Asthma? Uri? Something Worse?

stormyandklaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm going to write this in timeline format to hopefully make it easier to follow.

April 5: I adopted an 8 year old cat Stormy. He's super sweet (check out my avatar pic), gentle, loves chasing his jingle balls toys around the house, and eating sardines.

April 15-27: A few weeks after I got him, I observed some coughing fits in which he would crouch down and cough for up to 15-20 seconds. He also had eye discharge (clear, or white). He was coughing about once a day but was eating and acting fine otherwise.

April 28: Being an anxious new cat parent (he's my first cat), I took him to the vet to get him checked out. Based on my internet research, my bets were on asthma or feline upper respiratory infection. He got a complete blood count and x-ray, and nothing serious was in the results. The vet said that asthma is not always black and white to diagnose, but sometimes the x Ray will look a certain way (can't remember what) that will indicate asthma. His x-ray was inconclusive in that respect, but I remember her saying there was something darker on it (again, can't remember). His blood work came back good. We showed her a video of a cat coughing on YouTube which looked and sounded similar to how he was having coughing fits and she said the video really looked/sounded like an asthmatic cat. She prescribed him presidilone pills, to take 2x a day for 2 weeks, then drop down to 1x a day for 2 weeks, and then to every other day for 2 weeks and reevaluate from there if he needs an aerokat inhaler or not.

April 29-May 10: The prednisolone completely stopped the coughing, but in the coming weeks he became more lethargic and less energetic than before. He was still eating and using the litter box normally. I called the vet and told her this, and she said that because he's not coughing and not having litter box or appetite issues it could be a milder asthma so she said we could drop his dose about a week early to one pill a day. Almost immediately, there was a change in energy and he was back to chasing his favorite rolly toy around and following us into rooms.

May 11: I thought it would be worth it to bring up this, since it's a big change in my household. I got a cat named Klaus because I wanted a 2nd cat and wanted Stormy to have a pal for when I'm at work. We did a slow introduction, and aside from a few hisses and initially being worried that Klaus was too playful for Stormy, they have been doing really good and like being around one another.

mid-May: Maybe a week (or less) after we dropped his prednisolone dose, Stormy started sneezing basically non-stop. Again energy levels and appetite were fine, but he was sneezing basically every couple minutes. I called the vet about this and left message, which she returned and left me a message (yay, phone tag!:p). I ended up not calling her back because she said to let her know if the sneezing was excessive which it was at first, but a couple of days later it stopped. But she said if it's not excessive to hang tight. She said it could be pollen too which I agree with because of the season.

Mid may-May 27: Our new cat Klaus was starting to sneeze, having discharge (clear or white), and a stuffy nose around this time too--hes had no coughing other than hairballs though. & after Stormy's sneezing fest that occurred for 2 days, he was doing much better. At this point I started believing that Stormy didn't have asthma and that it had been a URI all along, and then he gave it to Klaus. So my worries eased. During this time it had been two weeks since we originally lowered his dose so per Dr's orders we lowered it again to 1 pill every other day.

May 27-28: Cue being worried all over again. On Sunday, I noticed an odd sound when he inhaling/exhaling in a rested state. It sounded internal. It wasn't really raspy, but it either sounded like it was coming from his stomach or lungs. I wasn't worried at that point, he was just making an odd noise. But yesterday, it got worse. He was super lethargic and his throat sounded raspy when he breathed (check out my Instagram @stormyandklausnebelungs to see a video of his breathing). He also had no appetite, and it was his day to get his prednisolone. I'm pretty sure he was using the litter box based on the contents of it, but then again it could have been Klaus's pee or poop too. Coughing was minimal, and there wasn't coughing fits like before but he would crouch in the coughing position and look uncomfortable. His cough sounded more rattly-before it was a dry cough. He also hid in the closet and his cardboard box house almost all day. Because it was memorial day, I couldn't take him to the vet because they were closed. Oddly enough around 9:30pm he perked up again. He ate his food, had way more energy, and was back to his curious, following you everywhere self. His eyes looked so much brighter and more alert. He even sat on my husband's lap which is such a rare occurrence because while he loves being around his people, he's not a lap cat.

Today: this morning he seemed fine too. he slept at the foot of the bed last night like he always does and ate all his food this morning. the only thing I noticed is when he meows it's super raspy. Im debating on whether I want to call the vet now. I'm leaning yes, but it seems like the past few times I call all worried then he gets better the next day. I don't want to be a hypochondriac (but I totally am lol) or over paranoid, but I also don't want to prolong the pain if there is something else. at this point I have no idea if it's asthma, if he had a URI, or if it's something worse. I hate to take him in again both because he HATES it and will open mouth breathe if he's super stressed and because I cant afford hundreds of dollars. I can afford the aerokat if he's asthmatic, but I don't want to pay another $300 (or more) for blood work and x Ray.

Does anyone have any experience with cat asthma? He really worried me with how he acted yesterday, does that sound like asthma like behavior, or something else? is it possible that he could have had a URI and asthma at the same time? I know the answer is to reach out the vet which I will do, but until I get a chance to call I'm dealing with it by posting here.

Thank you if you've made it this long, and here's a picture of Stormy as a prize for reading this long winded post :hearthrob:

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous!!! :redheartpump:

The coughing position, the rattling and dry sounds of the cough, and the eyes looking "off" remind me of my asthmatic cat. Our cat routinely squints his eyes into narrow sad looking slits before, during, and after an attack.
Right before our guy was first diagnosed his appetite waned a bit, he wasn't eating very well, and liked to be off by himself. He didn't actively "hide" but he made sure he was in a safe(r) location. He just acted off and secretive and was coughing a bit.
When you said you heard "weird noises", did they sound like a crackly noise or popping, or was it a wheezing sound? Poor guy has a lot going on right now =(

When it comes to breathing difficulties I err on the side of caution and call the vet.
I would assume it's very possible for an asthmatic cat to get a URI, and if it happens it probably makes both problems worse as they're working against one another; more inflammation on already inflamed airways (for whatever reason) is no fun.
Did he perk up shortly AFTER the pred was given? If he's getting a pill once a day and it helps, I wonder if giving halving it and giving a half twice a day would help him?
This is a frustrating thing to deal with. I hope you find some answers ASAP!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Stress is a big trigger for upper respiratory infections. It's possible that you're dealing with both an URI and asthma. Your new kitty might have an URI from the stress of being in a new environment.

I have an asthmatic kitty. Her asthma is triggered by seasonal changes. When her asthma is active, she sounds croupy. She has a wet sounding cough, snotty, sneezing, and then starts wheezing and coughing. She gets a prednisolone shot and she's good for several months.

It could be that the stress of the new addition has caused a little upper respiratory infection and aggravated his asthma.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
In order to help the airways, if you haven't already;
Get dust free litter
Eliminate candles, air fresheners, cleaning sprays, strongly scented dryer sheets and laundry soap
Stop using perfumes
Keep as clean a house as you can
Buy an air cleaner if your area has air pollution
See if things improve in the bathroom with a steaming shower, if so maybe try a humidifier
Do you have mold in your living area/house?
Have you tried food changes in case of an allergy or food related issue?
Hang in there!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stormyandklaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's gorgeous!!! :redheartpump:

The coughing position, the rattling and dry sounds of the cough, and the eyes looking "off" remind me of my asthmatic cat. Our cat routinely squints his eyes into narrow sad looking slits before, during, and after an attack.
Right before our guy was first diagnosed his appetite waned a bit, he wasn't eating very well, and liked to be off by himself. He didn't actively "hide" but he made sure he was in a safe(r) location. He just acted off and secretive and was coughing a bit.
When you said you heard "weird noises", did they sound like a crackly noise or popping, or was it a wheezing sound? Poor guy has a lot going on right now =(

When it comes to breathing difficulties I err on the side of caution and call the vet.
I would assume it's very possible for an asthmatic cat to get a URI, and if it happens it probably makes both problems worse as they're working against one another; more inflammation on already inflamed airways (for whatever reason) is no fun.
Did he perk up shortly AFTER the pred was given? If he's getting a pill once a day and it helps, I wonder if giving halving it and giving a half twice a day would help him?
This is a frustrating thing to deal with. I hope you find some answers ASAP!
Thank you! I really appreciate the response :redheartpump:

The weird noises were more like wheezing sounds, which I know is an asthmatic symptom. He didn't have any asthma attacks/coughing fits though, he just seems to be having difficulty breathing. I forgot to mention that hes been swallowing a lot too, almost like he's trying to catch his breath. The good news is that I called the vet and although our normal vet is out of the office, I got him scheduled with a different vet for this Thursday (and the person I talked to assured me this vet has a lot of experience with cats).

It did seem like he perked up after taking the prednisolone, it's hard for me to say if he perked up once he decided to eat or if it was after. I'm betting he perked up more after he ate because he ingested the prednisolone at that time. Right now he's getting the pill 1x every other day, but perhaps the vet will tell us to increase it again. I know long term pred use isn't good so if it is asthma hopefully we can get the aerokat sooner than later!

stormyandklaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In order to help the airways, if you haven't already;
Get dust free litter
Eliminate candles, air fresheners, cleaning sprays, strongly scented dryer sheets and laundry soap
Stop using perfumes
Keep as clean a house as you can
Buy an air cleaner if your area has air pollution
See if things improve in the bathroom with a steaming shower, if so maybe try a humidifier
Do you have mold in your living area/house?
Have you tried food changes in case of an allergy or food related issue?
Hang in there!!
Thank you for your response :hearthrob:

We don't have candles, air fresheners, or things like that but I should get a scent free detergent and give the house a deep clean. I could definitely do more to make the house as scent free as possible. I tried the steam technique for both cats when they were stuffy and it was helpful I think. We rent so I don't know if there is mold but should probably look into it. I will start trying to see if it's a food allergy too. As far as litter we use a 99% dust free unscented litter from Pet Co (bought in bulk), so initially I figured 99% dust free was fine but perhaps I should try a more natural one.

stormyandklaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stress is a big trigger for upper respiratory infections. It's possible that you're dealing with both an URI and asthma. Your new kitty might have an URI from the stress of being in a new environment.

I have an asthmatic kitty. Her asthma is triggered by seasonal changes. When her asthma is active, she sounds croupy. She has a wet sounding cough, snotty, sneezing, and then starts wheezing and coughing. She gets a prednisolone shot and she's good for several months.

It could be that the stress of the new addition has caused a little upper respiratory infection and aggravated his asthma.
Thank you for your response! :hearthrob:

True, I didn't consider that stress of a new environment could have have caused Klaus URI, I assumed that he caught it from Stormy. I did have a suspicion that Klaus could have made things flare up for Stormy though :frown:.

I wonder too if some of it is triggered by seasonal changes like you said it is for your kitty. We got Stormy basically as it was turning from winter to spring, and now it's turning from spring to summer. His symptoms sound similar to your kitty, but with the lethargy too. Hoping I can get some answers at his vet appointment Thursday!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Another idea is a good air filter machine (HEPA) in the room he likes hanging out in the most. Helps keep the air cleaner for all!
I don't know where you're location is but some areas are experiencing crazy high pollen levels, so that may have something to do with it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I used to use that bulk litter but all of a sudden at my store I noticed it seemed dusty so I ended up with a combination/mixture that includes littermaid's walnut which is dust free. There is also Dr elseys respiratory relief crystals.

stormyandklaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Another idea is a good air filter machine (HEPA) in the room he likes hanging out in the most. Helps keep the air cleaner for all!
I don't know where you're location is but some areas are experiencing crazy high pollen levels, so that may have something to do with it.
Oh yeah, my husband has talked about getting one of these! We will probably end up getting one soon especially if his vet visit doesn't set us back too much $$

stormyandklaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I used to use that bulk litter but all of a sudden at my store I noticed it seemed dusty so I ended up with a combination/mixture that includes littermaid's walnut which is dust free. There is also Dr elseys respiratory relief crystals.
Yeah i think I'll try something else which this is good timing because I need to buy new litter anyway. I'll look for your recommendations, thank you!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah, my husband has talked about getting one of these! We will probably end up getting one soon especially if his vet visit doesn't set us back too much $$
Watch Amazon, we got ours there and it wasn't expensive =)
Hopefully the visit goes well!! One of our girls is having some coughing and sneezing stuff but she itched her ears/eye area raw. =(
When they don't feel well, neither do we!!!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
& sure enough both litter boxes are covered. :p I'll have to take em off. Gosh you guys are the best, I really appreciate all of this advice!
This should help!!
Even the dust free litters still create some dust when they dig in it, if the box is covered the dust might be collecting in that area setting off an episode.
TCS is the best site for info and emotional support I've found to date.

stormyandklaus

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm posting here because today is the day of his appointment and I'm nervous about it. I'm nervous that I'm not home with him right now because of how he was this morning, I'm nervous that he has something worse than asthma, and I'm nervous about the car ride there/being there and how much that's going to stress him out and cause him more breathing issues. I'm nervous that we will have to spend a lot of money. He threw up foamy yellow liquid last night. It's probably bile, but he threw up only a few hours after eating so I did think that was odd. This morning he didn't seem interested in breakfast which worries me when he doesn't want to eat. He did eat a treat that I gave him and he is picky sometimes, so I'm hoping he didn't eat because he's picky. We also found what I'm pretty sure is throw up in the closet that he frequents. It could have been diarrhea due to the color, but I think it's throw up because it was the same color as the food we gave him last night (we fed him again after the bile throw up because he was acting hungry). He also seemed pretty lethargic this morning. Stayed under the bed and his breathing did have a whistle to it when he exhaled and inhaled.

I am also glad that his appointment is today. Glad because hopefully we can get some answers and have a treatment plan. I'm glad that he is seeing a different vet this time because 2nd opinions are good to have. I'm glad that he didn't cough this morning. I'm glad that he's my cat because despite all of this stressful stuff and how frustrating it is, I love him so much and want him to be happy and healthy :(.

Just needed an outlet to vent about this. I feel like a lot people don't understand being worried about a cat like this, and I know people on here understand. I'll update after the vet visit later. I'm so nervous to go home over lunch, I'm always fearing the worst :bawling: