Asthma Question And Air Freshener

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
so I adopted a 7 month cat and found out he has asthma based on his xray. He never had an attack or coughed. Just sneezes. I’ve been paranoid so lately I’ve been taking a lot of precautions. I got a humidifier, air purifier and non toxic cleaners. So far his only symptom is a bit of snorting. This was caught extremely early. The vet said he may never even have an attack.

Anyway my friend came over and before he left I had a old glade air freshener spray by my door. Due to his ignorance without thinking he picked it up and sprayed it and I would say my cat was close to him. Thankfully nothing happened. No attack or sneezing. Do you think it may have increased his risk or it’s long passed? I put the air purifier in that area and the smell seems to be gone. Worried it may be lingering in the air so I’m leaving him in my room for now with me. I’m very paranoid. I think this may be my 100 post on this site. You guys are great and want some info. Thanks

kitty chew

Kitty chew
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, I wouldn't worry too much if nothing happened. Maybe get rid of the glade to be on the safe side. Asthma can worsen over time. I have an asthma kitty. She has a flixotide inhaler, which so far has worked really well. I worry a lot also, so have done everything I can to prevent attacks. I steam clean our carpets once a month also, which is good if your cat has a dust mite allergy.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't have thought to mention it, but since you still had the old bottle of Glade, I will. Go on and get rid of all your old cleaners, the ones you've replaced with non-toxic versions (I use white vinegar, baking soda, and dish detergent. I keep scent and dye free laundry detergent and run an extra final rinse with white vinegar to get as much of the soap out of the laundry as possible, use a generous pour, it's already diluted.)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok that’s good to here. I noticed when we were sleeping he was breathing louder. It was like he was snoring. He still didn’t have an attack tho thankfully. I just hope this incident didn’t speed up the process because like you said it can worsen over time.

That’s something I can look into when I have enough money for sure. I have a few carpets and I can steam clean for sure. I’ve been to a lot of vets and non have given him medication since it’s early he’s hasn’t had any sort of attack. Either way yesterday I begged my vet to give me a prescription so I can get an inhaler. I told him I don’t want to wake up one day may it be a week from now or 3 years from now and my cat is having an attack with no emergency inhaler. So he prescribed Flovent for me so I can find it cheaper elsewhere.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh I did. I threw out everything. The glade is literally the only thing I had laying around. I completely forgot it was right by my door on my small table. I have all natural cleaners now.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It's really easy to over look something that's been sitting somewhere for ages. Your mind just doesn't take it in. You've done a really good job.

You might want to take extra care during the heavy pollen seasons - spring and autumn. You should be able to get a weather app for your phone that will tell you when the pollen count is high and what sort - grass, tree, etc pollen it is. The air purifiers are a good thing. Order extra filters so you don't have to worry about running out of them. (Yeah, I know about worrying.)

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
While I have human asthma I am sensitive to air freshener with symptoms triggered by them. As such, as it applies to me, the steps you took would have countered the use and once the immediate area has dissipated some it is no longer an issue.

I will say, if you are trying to minimize triggers don't forget about laundry detergent. Since mine is scent sensitive the scents on laundry detergent can also cause me problems. Tidy free and clear is really good for cleaning and doesn't have a lingering scent.

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
While I have human asthma I am sensitive to air freshener with symptoms triggered by them. As such, as it applies to me, the steps you took would have countered the use and once the immediate area has dissipated some it is no longer an issue.

I will say, if you are trying to minimize triggers don't forget about laundry detergent. Since mine is scent sensitive the scents on laundry detergent can also cause me problems. Tidy free and clear is really good for cleaning and doesn't have a lingering scent.
That is really goood to know thanks! I noticed last night when he was in my bed on my shirt he was breathing louder. Where I thought it was the air freshener incident from the other room it could if well have been my shirt that was washed the day before. It had the freshly clean smell. Thank you for that