Asthma, how long might I have her?

fidget

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi.
My Sierra is on prednisone for asthma. I used to give it to her for a few days when she had a flare-up every month or so.
then it became a few a month, then once a week, then 2 times a week.

I took her back to the vet,and she is to have the prednisone every 3 days for life.

My question - Even with this course, she has periodic minute-long coughing spells where you can hear the congestion. Then she is fine for a while. She does it maybe 4 times a day.

Honestly, can anyone give me any idea what I can expect? How are things going to go as they deteriorate? Will she get worse & worse, or just keel over one day? How long do you think we have left.
Any opinion or experience would be appreciated. I want honesty.

She is 10 years, 5 months. I truly had envisioned putting her to sleep one day because she got arthritis (she hasn't, but this is what I expected) and it became difficult for her to move around because she has 3 legs. That's what I was trying to be prepared for, this - I don't know.
Thankyou....
Even knowing someone is listening & caring helps.

lorie d.

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I once owned a cat who was diagnosed with asthma. Unfortunately, a couple of years later, my cat had to be put down due to another completely unrelated problem that had developed so I can't give you a lot of help. However, I do have a question.

When Sierra was first diagnosed with asthma, did the vet start out with a higher dose of prednisone (for example, two tablets twice a day) for a couple of weeks and then have you decrease the medication and determine the maintance dose? (The maintance dose is the lowest amount of medication possible that will control the symptoms.)

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It's possible for them to live long lives with asthma. I know alot of vets now are using Aminophylline and an inhaler as backup with more sucess than the steroids.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fidget

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
In the beginning, when she had only periodic flare-ups, I would just give her one for 2 or 3 days and then stop. That was all she needed at the time.
When she was needing it more often I went back to the vet and now she is just on 1 pill every 3 days.