Asthma Cat needs Dental work! Scared about the Anesthesia any advice or information greatly appreci

bluekatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My 8 year old Asthma Cat needs dental work and I've been putting it off because of his asthma and the anesthesia.   I know there are risks involved in this and I've been just too scared to take any risks to lose this precious cat.  I know that not getting his teeth done could be causing him harm as well, so this has been a very hard decision.  He also had all the blood work done, urine, stool tests which came out good.  But his x-ray of course showed his blocked bronchial tubes and he also has some small kidney stones and hip displacement.   Any advice you can give would be greatly appreciated!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Asthma may be a risk factor and I would discuss this with your vet but with proper care I believe (but I can't promise) that it can be managed.  A good vet practice will make sure someone is with your cat the entire time   he is under, and during that time he should be on a pulse Ox monitor and heart monitor, with oxygen and confirm that your vet does all these things.

Most people assume its the length of time under anesthesia that is the risk when its not, its the going under and coming out (the take off and landing so to speak) where the risks lie and that's one of the reasons a person and monitoring equipment needs to be with your cat the entire time.  Most complications from anesthesia can be fixed right then and there if someone is monitoring the patient, the one thing that can't be addressed easily is sudden cardiac arrest, but that is very rare and not predictable if blood tests show everything is ok.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bluekatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the information, I greatly appreciate it.  Just to let you know I have been brushing his teeth since he was a kitten.  I even use an automatic tooth brush on him.  He's a Russian Blue and he is prone to Stomatitis, plus he has an overgrowth of teeth on the bottom gum line which is very hard to clean with a tooth brush, and finger brush etc.  I used and tried just about everything on his teeth.  He now has a root exposed and needs Vet dental care.  I've been putting it off but it's getting worse.  I was hoping the teeth would fall out but themselves, but that didn't happen, only got more infected.  So you can see my worry and concern.  The other problem is that I love this cat way too much, he means everything to me.  I would literally fall apart if anything would happen to him.  That's why I needed the support of this forum.  But I'm keeping my paws crossed and with all the help and information everything will be okay.  I have an appointment this afternoon for more tests, and I think the dental work will be scheduled by the end of the week.  My nerves are really on edge about the whole thing.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like his teeth are bad enough to justify the cleaning  and extractions.  It will probably be harder on you than on him. Make sure your vet does all the things i listed.

oceanbreathes

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I agree with everything that's been said.

It's great that he's receiving pre-op tests right now.  If you don't feel comfortable with this particular veterinary practice and don't feel they're equipped to deal with his special concerns, please check out a good vet school in your area(most have excellent anesthesiology departments and dental).  I wish you both the best of luck.  

bluekatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your posts.  I actually printed out the prior post and showed it to the Vet, and he said they definitely will do it all, the heart monitor and oxygen etc.  Plus they scheduled 2 Vets to the do dental, one for the Anesthesia who will be with him the whole time and one for dental.  Plus he's also going to be putting him on the best steroid  for his lungs prior to surgery.  I'm having more pre-op blood work scheduled on 8/18 and the dental surgery on 8/20.  My nerves are completely shot.  Let's keep our paws crossed for this great cat.  I'm also trying to fatten him up and keep him hydrated, since his urine was a little concentrated.   Thanks again for your support, I really appreciate it.

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

Thank you for your posts.  I actually printed out the prior post and showed it to the Vet, and he said they definitely will do it all, the heart monitor and oxygen etc.  Plus they scheduled 2 Vets to the do dental, one for the Anesthesia who will be with him the whole time and one for dental.  Plus he's also going to be putting him on the best steroid  for his lungs prior to surgery.  I'm having more pre-op blood work scheduled on 8/18 and the dental surgery on 8/20.  My nerves are completely shot.  Let's keep our paws crossed for this great cat.  I'm also trying to fatten him up and keep him hydrated, since his urine was a little concentrated.   Thanks again for your support, I really appreciate it.
Great! Please keep us updated!

bluekatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am happy to report that my Asthma came through his dental surgery all well.  He lost most of his teeth, only has his fangs and front teeth left.  But I am so glad it's over and hope I will have him for many more years.  Thanks again for all your help and support.  I gave all the information to my Vet and  he had even done more research on asthma kitties before the surgery.  We did all the recommendations plus more, and he is now playing around the house like a kitten.  I couldn't be more happy!!!!  MEOWS AND PURRS TO YOU ALL!

stephenq

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

I am happy to report that my Asthma came through his dental surgery all well.  He lost most of his teeth, only has his fangs and front teeth left.  But I am so glad it's over and hope I will have him for many more years.  Thanks again for all your help and support.  I gave all the information to my Vet and  he had even done more research on asthma kitties before the surgery.  We did all the recommendations plus more, and he is now playing around the house like a kitten.  I couldn't be more happy!!!!  MEOWS AND PURRS TO YOU ALL!
Yay Congrats!

Dave8014

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your posts. I actually printed out the prior post and showed it to the Vet, and he said they definitely will do it all, the heart monitor and oxygen etc. Plus they scheduled 2 Vets to the do dental, one for the Anesthesia who will be with him the whole time and one for dental. Plus he's also going to be putting him on the best steroid for his lungs prior to surgery. I'm having more pre-op blood work scheduled on 8/18 and the dental surgery on 8/20. My nerves are completely shot. Let's keep our paws crossed for this great cat. I'm also trying to fatten him up and keep him hydrated, since his urine was a little concentrated. Thanks again for your support, I really appreciate it.
I know this is old but do you remember how much you paid? I know it’s more expensive then a regular vet to have one vet monitoring and one vet performing the procedure. I have a board certified vet and one board certified Aenesteologist wanting to charge 3k to 5k for cleaning a full mouth extraction