Assumptions I’ve drawn RE: My experience adopting a retired breeding queen/female

DebfromPhilly

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Reason I purchased retired breeder in mid-August 2022, and did not rescue from shelter: I lost a beloved kitty to cancer in April of 2022. Then brought home a rescued kitty from a shelter in June 2022, from what turned out to be a horrible shelter (even though they have good reviews and are very well loved in my community), who sent me an email the day after the adoption, with subject “disclosure,” and stated I had adopted a cat with FIV! WHAT!!? For the month prior to adoption I had been working closely with the foster to get that to know the cat through FaceTime. Neither the Foster or I were ever told that this cat had FIV. I even called the Foster after I got the email to confirm that they had no idea. Because I have a resident cat, and because I know that when cats first meet each other they are likely to draw blood with their teeth, I was not comfortable keeping this rescue. It broke my heart! I had just lost a favorite baby, and then had to return a cat that I had just started to fall in love with. I decided I could not emotionally handle another rescue that might fail, at that moment in my life, and also was not in a trusting way regarding rescues at that moment, either.

Regarding my thoughts on my experience in adopting a retired breeder: Kittybear (new retired breeder cat) is almost 4, her breeder, has the best reviews for Ragdolls in my home, metro area, and my guess is that the kittens are treated very well but that the queens are not treated well at all.

I know the breeder lied to me about multiple things, such as a chronically watering eye (only admitted it after I told her I was taking her to the vet for it). Breeder said she thought it cleared up before I purchased her. She also told me that her constant howling, meowing, yowling, etc., must have something to do with resident cat, “because she was never like that at her home,” but this is clearly not the case. There is no way in hell this cat *wasn’t* a constantly loud cat for most of her life. She’s comfortable here now, and is by far the loudest cat I’ve ever seen in my life, and it is virtually constant (I’m 50 and have had more than one cat at a time for my entire life). My entire family of cat lovers, agree with all of my assumptions here in this post.

I believe that she lived in a room with the other queens and that food would be dropped in their room twice a day, but that no one stuck around to ensure all the cats got their fair share of food, so she learned, “eat everything you can, as quickly as you can, or you may starve.”

I also believe that she was not around humans on a regular basis, and/or was hit on the head by human hand, because she was, and still is, scared of human hands. She has finally gotten less scared of humans walking near her. This used to send her into deep hiding. There is no way she was in any normal living situations with humans walking around, in a normal human way, ever before I got her.

I believe the only consistent and good thing that was done with her, by or with a human was getting her nails trimmed, because she is great with that. The really say part of that is, I can only imagine that the reason for this is because breeder didn’t want her to hurt the babies. It was all and only about the money that the breeder wanted to get for the kittens.

When I took her to my vet after they had her vet records transferred, to get her eye checked out, they told me there were hardly any vet records. They said there was record of *breeder* giving her a feline herpes shot (upper respiratory vaccine), at home, not by vet, and my vet did not trust this at all. They said there were blood tests from 2 weeks before I picked her up, and proof of a rabies vaccine right before I picked her up, that was given by a vet. There are records of her getting fixed 2 weeks before I got her. That’s IT! She is almost 4 and has had countless litters.

Supposedly all of this breeders breeding cats are genetically tested, but those records don’t seem to exist. Appalling! So these kittens don’t come out with genetic diseases, simply by chance and luck, I’m assuming. I believe a lot of Kittybear’s anxiety stems from not being with her kittens much, I’m guessing after they opened their eyes. The videos that breeder posts, of kittens nursing, and frequent referred to as “meal time (or nursing time) for the kittens,” and all of the kittens are actively nursing like mad, on these videos. This is not how nursing works in real life, if the kittens are with their mom’s around the clock. When with their mom around the clock, the nursing happens around the clock, but *intermittently,* while other kittens in the litter are sleeping and playing. They are not on an exact eating schedule with the rest of the litter. I almost wonder if breeder does this for “cute” nursing videos. Why would anyone do this?

Kittybear hunts mad amounts of toy rodents once every 1-2 hours, like it’s her full time job. She makes huge sounds when she is hunting toys and always brings them all to my feet and to my other cat, in a short period of time, like she’s trying to make sure everyone is fed very well, before she can stop. Then she crashes hard. I can’t really make any major assumptions about this but my gut says she thinks her babies were not fed well and she’s trying to make up for it now.

I paid $1k for my new furbaby, that was in reality a rescue. I’m glad to have rescued her, but certainly did not think after paying that amount of money, that I’d end up with a cat with so many behavioral and anxiety issues.

I feel bad for her past and very happy that I’m able to provide her with a cats dream home, with a large catio, a large cat climbing and shelf wall, and a sweet brother cat to love on. I’m so great full that I rescued her from that horrible place she used to live! I know we will all be happy living together from here out. I will never trust even a “reputable,” breeder in the future. It’s clearly a business for all of them, and apparently that’s all it is.

I’m not expecting any replies, but would be glad to hear any, for any reason, or if you have any thoughts on any other assumptions that can be drawn from my experience, or if you can think of other explanations for any of the things I’ve experienced that I’ve not considered. I will always be baffled as to how so many people with kittens from this breeder have no reason to think anything bad about this breeder, although apparently her kittens are really amazing. It makes me sad that she will likely never go out of business and will continue to torture her breeders.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I'm sorry you went through all this. Hopefully the foster was able to take that baby back 💞
You may wish to consider not making blanket/general assumptions about breeders based on what you're thinking is going on at one, and be aware that rescues are bursting at the seams with cats, and are very understaffed.

Last edited: