assessing cat communication

ettina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just to warn you - I'm weird.

I came across the Communication Matrix while looking for stuff related to one of my psychology classes. It's an online tool for assessing the level of communication skills that a child or adult with a disability shows.

But instead of using it for that, I'm using it to assess my cats.

According to this tool, Lilly (my 3 month old) is showing some skills at the level of Intentional Behavior (choosing certain actions willfully but not intending to communicate), some at Unconventional Communication (intending to communicate, but not following social conventions) and a couple possible examples of Conventional Communication (using standard gestures or social conventions, such as greeting someone when they enter a room).

Katrina (my 15 year old) shows a lot of Unconventional Communication, and also a few examples of Conventional Communication (apparently alternating gaze between a person and the subject of communication counts as a standard gesture).

Lilly mostly tends to just try something, and I watch her behavior and guess at what she wants. However, occasionally she'll look to me for help, and she runs up and greets me enthusiastically when I let her out of my brother's room. (She's spending nights there to keep her from fighting with Katrina.) She's definitely starting to figure out that she can affect my behavior by how she acts, but she's not very adept at it yet.

Katrina, on the other hand, seems to me to be a very deliberate and sophisticated communicator, by cat standards. She's very clear about what she wants. If she's hungry, she'll go find me in a completely different room in order to lead me over to her food bowl and alternate looking at the food bowl and looking at me. She frequently asks for a cuddle, and then deliberately waits until I make room for her and invite her up. She tells me very clearly when I'm trying to stop cuddling and she's not finished - she'll give me a significant look, cling, grumble, etc. She looks up and greets me when I wander into the laundry room where she likes to sleep. And she looks utterly disgusted with me if I misinterpret her communication.

It's fascinating. A lot of people seem to think communication = speech, but there's so much a cat can say, even though they can't talk.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise

It's fascinating. A lot of people seem to think communication = speech, but there's so much a cat can say, even though they can't talk.
I agree.  To me; cat's are the best at communicating without uttering  a sound.  Watching them can teach you so much!

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Neat! I just did this for Pia.

Pia seems to have mastered intentional behavior and unconventional communication, with some smatterings of conventional communication. Her social skills with people are coming along really, really quickly. Much better than I expected, for an adult cat.

I suspect Pearl, my elder kitty, would have had more of the conventional communication blocks down. Whereas Pia is very polite and doesn't like to be "in the way," in addition to having been under socialized, Pearl was a much more outgoing and loud kitty who had been with humans her whole life. She was "talking" to me constantly and it was much easier to know what she wanted at times.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ettina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I reassessed Lilly just now, at 4 months old. She's now more solidly in Unconventional Communication (though she still doesn't request things very clearly) with a few emerging skills at Conventional Communication.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
Quite good fun thinking about this! Thank you for the link.   Mouse comes out as mastering unconventional communication with a couple of bits of conventional thrown in which is pretty amazing given that he hardly vocalises at all.  He's almost 3 but he mastered directing humans at a very early age I think. 

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Neat! I just did this for Pia.

Pia seems to have mastered intentional behavior and unconventional communication, with some smatterings of conventional communication. Her social skills with people are coming along really, really quickly. Much better than I expected, for an adult cat.

I suspect Pearl, my elder kitty, would have had more of the conventional communication blocks down. Whereas Pia is very polite and doesn't like to be "in the way," in addition to having been under socialized, Pearl was a much more outgoing and loud kitty who had been with humans her whole life. She was "talking" to me constantly and it was much easier to know what she wanted at times.
So this thread popped up in my email again and I decided to do it for Pearl!

As I suspected, she had a lot of the conventional communication blocks down pat. She was the most human-like cat I ever met, in terms of how she communicated. She's even got a couple of the "concrete symbols" down -- and those were things she did very young, trying to get me to play in a new way or with new things.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ettina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
 She's even got a couple of the "concrete symbols" down -- and those were things she did very young, trying to get me to play in a new way or with new things.
Really? What kinds of things was she doing? I'd assumed those ones would be beyond a cat's abilities.

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

Really? What kinds of things was she doing? I'd assumed those ones would be beyond a cat's abilities.
Bring me new stuff she wanted to play with. She actually taught me how to play fetch by running back and forth with a toy until I got it.

I was a kid, so perhaps I was seeing more than was there, but she did indeed want to play fetch. She might have picked it up from the dog.

She was an odd cat. Very clever in some ways, and yet a bit ditzy in others. She wasn't the best at risk assessment in the world.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise

I find it interesting that hearing cats are learning a lot when they don't have a particular need, but the ability doesn't surprise me as know of a few deaf cats that cope extremely well and while they vocalise loudly it isn't purposeful whereas their gestures and movements are and they have learned a good number of signs from the humans they know well.

Mouse doesn't consistently respond to hand gestures to date but my tabby girls used to have quite a few they responded to, less that they would use with me though - they were a noisy pair!

lilin

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise

I find it interesting that hearing cats are learning a lot when they don't have a particular need, but the ability doesn't surprise me as know of a few deaf cats that cope extremely well and while they vocalise loudly it isn't purposeful whereas their gestures and movements are and they have learned a good number of signs from the humans they know well.

Mouse doesn't consistently respond to hand gestures to date but my tabby girls used to have quite a few they responded to, less that they would use with me though - they were a noisy pair!
Yeah, Pia knows a couple of "signs" as well. The one she's the best at, that I discovered she recognized almost instantly, was me making a petting gesture in the air.

She came to me with a fear of furniture, and that's how I invited her on without pushing her. Worked quite well.