Assesment session tomorrow

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Tomorrow is the session at the bank, where I am hoping to get a job as a teller. Please send vibes! Oh, and if they do happen to interview me tomorrow, can you master interviewers ask me the most likely questions and the sort of answer they want? Like when they say "Tell me about yourself" do they really want to know about me, or just about anything that might help with the job and where I want it to take me? And what is my biggest downfall? That I don't have a degree?

Any help is appreciated!

dragonlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Very best of luck! I'm sure all will go well. When they ask about you it's best to give them information like "self starter" "likes to be on time" "enjoys working with others" "Team player" Willing to work overtime if neccessary, or come in on a day off if someone is sick.

pinkdaisy226

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Um... I'm not sure what advice I can give you but good luck, you'll definitely be in my thoughts! Maybe there are others that were tellers that can help you out...

Let us know how it goes!

berylayn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Good luck -- sending lots of vibes your way!!!

Oooooooo, I hate those questions you mentioned.

The first one I really would just tell them about you, your family, interests, hobbies, etc...let them know all about you! If they want to know about you and the future you hope to see in your job they'll probably ask you that directly.

As for the second one, I always tried to take something a little negative, one of my flaws, but then turn into something positive, or tell them how you can overcome it.

I hope that helps a little...

captiva

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good luck, Meagan. I know when I ask questions when I'm interviewing people, I am just trying to get an idea of what that person is like and not for the "perfect" answer. In a customer service oriented position that you are applying for they are looking for, I'm sure they are looking for someone dependable that can be relied on to be there on time and when they are scheduled to work, someone who enjoys helping people, and a certain amount of attention to detail because you will be dealing with money. I'm sure you will be just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Ok,another question. It says to wear "Business Attire" I do not own a blazer, I do not own skirts. I have some dress pants from lane bryant and one pinstripe button up shirt and some heels. Please tell me this is good enough?

lisalee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems like you have already received some good advice. I don't have much experience since I haven't interviewed in such a long time. I'm sure you will do great and that outfit sounds just fine. Good luck!

juniper

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I don't have any good interview advice (have never been interviewed for that kind of position) but wanted to say good luck!

sashacat421

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yeah Meagan! That is great. Just have confidence in yourself that you are a hard-working, honest team player and be sincere! You don't have to tell them a lot oabout your personal life, but a hobby or two that makes you human as well as some future plans (as it relates to your profession, of course!) always are regarded very highly, like "I'd like to continue my education at a higher level" or "taking any classes offered by the bank would really interest me".

zanniesmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have always heard that it is good to know something about the company before your interview. Maybe you can look them up online and see what they pride themselves on, for instance, being friendly or dependable or whatever. Then you can work that in to the conversation. And if they ask you why you want to work for that company you will be able to say because they have such a good reputation in the community, or because they support the community by donations to whatever charity or whatever you can find online that may help. And I think that if you wear your best and are pressed and polished that you will do fine. Be sure any tatoos are covered and that your jewelry is tasteful and that any nose rings or things like that are out. Modest makeup. Very middle of the road. Banks tend to be very conservative. Good luck. Becky

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Your pants and shirt sound fine. As said, play down the jewellery and make sure your hair and nails are neat and not extreme. And do find something to say about yourself that is positive and not just fun-loving - going to clubs or the beach in you spare time is not really very enlightening.

I agree with the advice to know something about the company and if you can't find something ask if the bank gets involved in local community/charity work and say you would like to help with that. Show you are caring and efficient. Don't make all your questions about things like leave or conditions, though it is fine to ask one, otherwise you will be seen as selfish. And don't look at the floor - make eye contact, though that can be a bit intimidating at first.

Very best of luck

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Looking at your question - not having a degree probably won't matter unless one is required for that position, and I assume not since they are seeing you. But it can be good if they ask you why not just to have an answer ready, such as you couldn't afford it at the time, there were family problems, whatever. If you have done any courses since, then tell them, or if you have any plans to go back to school. And include computer skills in that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chixyb

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Well the assesment went well. I passed the test, and was interviewed on the spot. It seems well, they have over 3 jobs open, and 2 are floaters (move from branch to branch) but they get paid more
! They do full benifets for full and part time. They will contact me, don't know when.