Aspiration pneumonia in bottle baby-- lost cause?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, using the oil.  I have people probiotics, should I add a bit to the bottle?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise

Yes, using the oil.  I have people probiotics, should I add a bit to the bottle?
Yes, it may be a good idea.

You asked earlier about Karo or molass.  Its sugar sources, good to use if they need to be perked up.  I dont think they have anything to do with constipation.

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No poop.  I switched to a different KMR, maybe that will help.  Sick kitty is not doing well.  Refused to eat thickened formula completely, so I switched to regular, but I am barely getting 1cc down every 1.5 hours or so. He walks around a bit and is alert, but after a great day yesterday, is not doing well. 

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Have you tried giving the sick kitty some pedialyte? If he's not taking formula, push the pedialyte, and keep trying the formula as well. They go downhill so quickly when not eating. He really needs to stay hydrated. I am puzzled as to what the issue is. Has he finished his antibiotic?

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am mixing the formula with pedialyte.

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It looks like he is hungry but a bit frightened of the bottle or syringe. Try putting him on a towel on a table, so he doesn't slip and holding him by the scruff of the neck. That will calm him and you can slightly tilt his head back as you hold him and introduce the syringe in the side of the mouth while you squeeze gently. I have found this to be the best way with reluctant kittens. Probably after a few days he will welcome the nozzle. I usually use a syringe rather than a bottle - they seem to take to it much more easily.

texasrose

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've been able to get  him to eat 3 ccs a feeding over the last 3 feedings, so much better.  Now if I could get the other one to poop!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you try the enema suggested and explained by catwoman in your other thread?

Glad the little one is eating better for you.

nikkykay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
@TexasRose  

My little guy was, and still kind of is, constipated. I found that giving him lots of water,  watered down bottles/syringes or just water in between feedings, and rubbing his little tummy for a bit helps a lot. Have you tried burping your little guy too?