Asks Desperately To Let Him Go Outside, But Not In The Morning

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The night is dangerous, full of speeding cars and groups of rotten humans very thirsty for evil acts to make themselves look cool and laugh loudly about throwing a rock at a cat's head.

So I do not open the door for the cat when he asks me at night(unless it's quiet), but manages to escape anyway when somebody opens the garage.

The cat 100% fully realizes this, he's been hit by a car, and humans threw stuff at him while sitting on the usual flat roof to make him fell.
----Yet, insists on leaving at night. Why, why does he only leaves at night, mostly when it's crowded? I can't trace him and see, the moment he sees me, he returns home or sits down.

What do I do? eradicate them? God will not forgive me, I will not forgive myself. The police are useless even with proof, they did look down and silently laugh at me, calling them "kids".

What
do
I
do
?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Trying to prevent the inevitable. If this continued, something bad will happen. :(

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi there! Sorry you are having trouble keeping your kitty from escaping. Does he stay in the garage all the time? What's your home like? Is there a door between the garage and the rest of the house? He tries to slip out only at night and not during the day, yes? For starters, I'd take him out of the garage during the night so he won't try to escape. If you don't have a door separating the garage from the house, I'd make some kind of barricade that he can't jump over.

Also, how does he act when he hears people entering the garage? Does he press against the door? He probably wants to go out towards since that's the time cats are naturally more active. How often and how long do you play with him? Do you play with him during the day? How old is he?

If you're up to it, you can also try training him to walk on a harness, but that can be challenging and take a while. Is the garage shared or is this a single home? I can help you more if you can provide more details

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AIice

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
First of all, thank you for taking the time to helping me.
Hi there! Sorry you are having trouble keeping your kitty from escaping. Does he stay in the garage all the time? No, only at night. The garage is in the patio(the area in-between inside door and outside door) which he can reach from an opened window. I leave it open because that's where the litterbox is and he mostly does it on the floor, cover it in sand. I have no other choice. What's your home like? Is there a door between the garage and the rest of the house? He tries to slip out only at night and not during the day, yes? Yes. For starters, I'd take him out of the garage during the night so he won't try to escape. If you don't have a door separating the garage from the house, I'd make some kind of barricade that he can't jump over. Not possible.

Also, how does he act when he hears people entering the garage? Does he press against the door? Hides somewhere, waits for the garage to be opened by a remote device and walks out. He probably wants to go out towards since that's the time cats are naturally more active. Yes, he interacts with other cats a lot. Chasing and attacking for no reason. Sometimes, just sits down quietly offguard next to the same cat he attacked few days ago. I noticed he really likes watching and going after cats, so I let him out, I respect and encourage him for having a goal while realizing its risks. How often and how long do you play with him? I try almost once everyday, not very interested. Do you play with him during the day? Random, normally when the other cat asks for it. How old is he? Around a year and half

If you're up to it, you can also try training him to walk on a harness, but that can be challenging and take a while. Won't move. Doing this defeats the purpose of me letting him out. Well, I got an idea! I will try putting the harness on him at night; when I do this, he stays very close to the house, if he doesn't, I will use a leash and tie it with something, like a dog. Is the garage shared or is this a single home? A family house, shared? I can help you more if you can provide more details

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I understand correctly, you want him to be inside/outside cat, but outside only in a time frame given by you? I don't think it's possible though. And given the dangers that you described, personally I'd be super scared to let cat out at all, the risk it too high.. Is he neutered?

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In another life, Mingo was let outside every time he ate, but he's an indoor-only cat now, and I can't let him out. He sits by the door and cries for a long, long time. This has been going on for five years, and lately, I just couldn't stand it. So I started telling him NO every time he squeaked. It's actually had an effect. All I have to do is look at him now and he quits. I'm sure he wants to potty, but there are litter pans everywhere he can use. He doesn't have to go outside.

KarenKat

Kitty on the half shell, tortie power!
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sure he wants to potty, but there are litter pans everywhere he can use. He doesn't have to go outside.
Interesting, Olive used to be an outside cat and we keep her inside now. She starts to howl at the door specifically right before using the litterbox - I think she too prefers to go outside.

recurringecho

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the details!

My cat also goes loves going outside after he eats. He doesn't get out of the yard but other cats can get in and in the past years have started picking a fight with him. Lucky for me, he has a routine going on. I know when he needs to do his business so I only let him outside only during those times, and that solved all issues. If you know around what time he goes or what time the other people of your household returns, can you try letting him out only around the time he needs to go and close the window around the time when people come home?

How big is the litter box? What shape? I wonder if that could be why he's usually going on the floor and scooping sand out of the box instead of going inside the box.

I really wouldn't encourage him to go after other cats either. Firstly, there is a chance that they might be other people's cats, and if your neighbors or find out that your cat is going after them, it could lead to trouble for both you and your cat. Secondly, they could carry diseases that can be transmitted to your cat, or if your cat gets injured, it can become infected and your cat can get really sick.

When you said he wouldn't move with the harness on, do you mean he lies down and goes limp? If so, that's an instinctual reflex because he thinks you're scruffing him. You can try improving his relationship with his harness. Give him treats while the harness is on, and encourage him to start moving around. I wouldn't tie the leash to something around the house either tbh. If something attacks him, he won't be able to get away or he might end up choking himself.

Luc

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there, my cats too love to go out at night. They are chipped, neutered and have a collar with a tag. I always feed them before going out so they do not go look for food. In my environment at night it is safer because there are less people, less cars, less noise and the cats have a better vision at night. While the male tends to go 4-5 houses down the female stays close to home.

It's always a risk when I let the cats out but I just can not confine them in an apartment until they pass away. On a good side your cat has some experience since he has already been in dangerous situations.

You already let him out when it is quiet that's good, you might want to let him out in the middle of the night too. Sometimes I wake up very late at night to go to the restroom or drink a bit and I let the cats out. First thing in the morning they are back because they know there will be food.

If instead of you opening the door there is a way for him to get in and out by himself ( cat door ? ) it would help.