Asking this question on behalf of a friend

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My friend has a 3 1/2 year old male cat (not neutered) who's extremely aggressive and violent towards her other male cat (1 1/2 year old). He wasn't aggressive when the other cat was just a kitten. In fact, he was very loving towards him. She used to have another male cat and this cat was also aggressive towards him but not when that cat was a kitten.

My question is, could not neutering him be the reason behind his aggressive behavior or some cats are actually like that? Is there someone with a similar situation?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Neutering him will help, after the couple weeks for the testosterone to diminish in his system. Intact males are very territorial to other adult males and even other adult spayed females.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aafia Ijaz

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
No he never showed an aggressive behavior towards a female cat. She had a female too.
So do you think if the cat gets neutered, there won't be be any territorial issues? Isn't that a nature thing?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The very fact that this cat did not bother with male kittens would indicate to me that he is being territorial with other male adult cats as part of his instinct to 'protect' his territory. This would be even more applicable if the other male cat is also not neutered. Besides, both (or just the one, if that is the case) could use to be neutered to prevent potential health issues down the road that can happen to older intact male cats.

Some of his reaction to other adult males may at this time be behavioral in nature, so you may have to do a re-introduction between these two males, even after the hormones settle down after a few weeks.