Asking for experience of those who've reversed IBD in cats....

heavensslave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About three years ago, I was here when Finnigan was in distress. He's still chugging along through good times & bad. Last week he had a flare-up but seems to be recovering after pooping out a load of hairballs. He even seems more energetic than usual. He's at least 15 & jumped up on the bed tonight without help.

It looks like three steps to what we need to build him back up-
Kill off whatever pathogens, whether parasites or fungi or yeast that so inflammed his bowels;
Remove the actual inflammation;
and healing & protecting his system from further inflammation, and restoring him to health, along with replenishing his intestinal lining.

We have our own products that are seeming to work well, but we'd like to see other things we might not be aware of.

Thanks!

SusieQshopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About three years ago, I was here when Finnigan was in distress. He's still chugging along through good times & bad. Last week he had a flare-up but seems to be recovering after pooping out a load of hairballs. He even seems more energetic than usual. He's at least 15 & jumped up on the bed tonight without help.

It looks like three steps to what we need to build him back up-
Kill off whatever pathogens, whether parasites or fungi or yeast that so inflammed his bowels;
Remove the actual inflammation;
and healing & protecting his system from further inflammation, and restoring him to health, along with replenishing his intestinal lining.

We have our own products that are seeming to work well, but we'd like to see other things we might not be aware of.

Thanks!
Ugh, going through this now with our cat. Vet has done a lot of testing including x-rays. Waiting for stool sample results. Feel like we are grasping at straws but she is leaning toward IBD as her intestines show inflammation. Would love to know what products you have found that worked for your cat. It is heartbreaking to see ours vomit bile several times per day, want to eat, then not eat much. She has lost 2 lbs in six months, recently has pooped some hair, and had some blood in her vomit for the first time. Saw the vet again today (third time in three weeks.) Cat is physically exhausted and so are we! As you mentioned, i would love to hear more ideas, but also know what you found has worked at your house. I cannot just watch her waste away. Looking for ideas!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
IMO, IBD can't be curved or "reversed", only well managed with treatment of some sort. Have you seen these two web sites?

A bland-ish diet helps many IBD cats. Food seems to cause a flare up in some sensitive IBD cats. What are you feeding your cat?

What products are you using? Are these prescription medications or supplements?

SusieQshopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMO, IBD can't be curved or "reversed", only well managed with treatment of some sort. Have you seen these two web sites?

[/URL]
[/URL]

A bland-ish diet helps many IBD cats. Food seems to cause a flare up in some sensitive IBD cats. What are you feeding your cat?

What products are you using? Are these prescription medications or supplements?
"Normal" diet was Fancy Feast wet and Meow Mix dry. Recently tried Hills Science Sensitive Stomach wet and previously tried Nutro dry. She ate the first round of new wet and seemed to like it but then turned her nose up at it next time. Trying it again. Vet will have recommendations tomorrow after stool sample results. Depending upon those results she also mentioned Prednisolone and diet recommendations are forthcoming. Cat has been on Laxatone with several stools connected by hair produced. Will ask if I should try that again. Bile had some hair in it, but I have been brushing her several times each day (long-haired) and it seems to help. Vet also talked about shaving her. Different vet saw her last week and said she doesn't need ti be shaved. Regular vet said xray showed fuzzy intestines which shows inflamation but I am wondering if it really isn't hair. Her hair is very fine and there it a lot of it! Nickname is Princess Fluffy Butt!

SusieQshopper

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
"Normal" diet was Fancy Feast wet and Meow Mix dry. Recently tried Hills Science Sensitive Stomach wet and previously tried Nutro dry. She ate the first round of new wet and seemed to like it but then turned her nose up at it next time. Trying it again. Vet will have recommendations tomorrow after stool sample results. Depending upon those results she also mentioned Prednisolone and diet recommendations are forthcoming. Cat has been on Laxatone with several stools connected by hair produced. Will ask if I should try that again. Bile had some hair in it, but I have been brushing her several times each day (long-haired) and it seems to help. Vet also talked about shaving her. Different vet saw her last week and said she doesn't need ti be shaved. Regular vet said xray showed fuzzy intestines which shows inflamation but I am wondering if it really isn't hair. Her hair is very fine and there it a lot of it! Nickname is Princess Fluffy Butt!
They also gave her an anti-nausea shot today to give us both a break from her vomiting...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heavensslave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
For the past two years, he's eaten Stella & Chewy's Freeze-Dried Raw Cat Food- Chicken, Turkey. Rabbit, Duck & Goose,
pretty much exclusively. (He is expensively spoiled! *L*)
He's been on PrednisTab at least .5 pill daily.
We often use Pet Wellness Kidney Support & Life Gold.
Wysong Biotic pH- keeps crystals from forming (we use Perfect Litter to monitor that).
We've been through different probiotics & enzymes, and Hip & Joint remedies.
We started on George's Aloe Juice & Duralactin in the past two weeks and he
likes that & responds well.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

heavensslave

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Two years ago, we moved out of a house with black mold. We're wondering if some fungi from that may be remaining in his system.
We're looking for internal anti-fungals- a lot of probiotics/enzymes sites claim that as something they help with.

He's probably gone though at least three bouts of some sort of digestive distress over the past five years-
constipation & vomiting, but we always bring him through & his happy playful self comes out again.

kittenmittens84

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Don’t oral anti-fungals often have GI side effects? I would use caution there unless a specific fungal infection was identified