Arwen Is In A Bad Way

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
As determined on Thursday Arwen has Giardiasis again. She won't eat, is very slow and the medication seems to have given her involuntary spasms.:(
I will be requesting different meds tomorrow but I want to ask all of you to please send as many positive vibes her way. I am force-feeding her and putting down different foods to see if she'll have some and giving her many cuddles and love.
And praying and hoping she'll pull through
15389002607303529342526930073480.jpg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Man she is not doing well. I'm apping with my vet right now. Put some syrup on her gums, hoping it will help. She is drooling when I feed her the recovery from royal Canin. She keeps lying down in cold places....
I don't wanna lose her..I can't lose her

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My understanding of Giardiasis is that it's not generally life threatening. Does she have other health problems? I'm so sorry she's feeling so poorly and I'm really pulling for her recovery.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Even though she was getting fluids from me, she probably got dehydrated. I got off the phone to the vet and she said to give her fluids every hour. I'm feeding her kitten glop, according to Franny, now and hopefully this will work.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I rushed Arwen to the vet. She was indeed dehydrated but the vet wanted to put her down. I said no and to do anything to save her.
I am feeling really depressed right now. I put my all in my cats but it seems as though I am not allowed to succeed. I' ve had to put down 3 cats the last year, I can't deal with another.....it becomes so pointless

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
There are a couple of drugs that can be used for giardia, e.g., metronidazole (Flagyl) or fenbendazole (Panacur). If she's unable to tolerate one, your vet can prescribe another. We usually use the latter for cats at the shelter, as they seem to tolerate it better.

:vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes::vibes:

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She was on metronidazole (metrobactin). She's being kept warm and getting fluid therapy. As soon as they're able they will do a complete bloodwork as I can't believe she is this sick from just giardia. Calling in later to see if she's perking up.....
I am soooo worried.....

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am feeling really depressed right now. I put my all in my cats but it seems as though I am not allowed to succeed. I' ve had to put down 3 cats the last year, I can't deal with another.....it becomes so pointless
I'm so sorry, I'm really pulling for you and Arwen.

It takes a lot out of you when you lose such an important part of your life. And to have lost 3 already, and so close together....I can only imagine your devastation. I hope your heart can heal from this, no matter the outcome, it might feel pointless to you, but because of what YOU can offer, the fact that YOU care so much, is a BLESSING to ANY cat that comes into your life. I hope you will always see that of yourself.

I'm sending you all the well wishes of good health and recovery I can for Arwen and pure love, admiration and support for you. You'll both be in my thoughts.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I had a little trouble with my vet, I was ready to take Arwen out of there and to a different vet. They weren't listening to me and kept talking about rehoming some of my cats.
The boss of the practice phoned me and arranged a talk with the treating vet. After a good talk and an apology on her part Arwen will stay there until at least after the weekend.
I am glad we have an understanding now.
It's up to us now to kill the remaining giardia so Arwen never gets infected again. She nearly died and I don't want to lose her unless she is an old kitty who has lived her life

nansiludie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure but wonder if bleach will kill giardia? You may have to have all your cats treated for it and all litter and pans emptied and heavily bleached. I don't know if it will stay in the environment for a set period of time or not. These may be good questions to ask the vet before you bring Arwen home.

catlady76paws

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
From what I have read, Giardia is in all of us and the danger is in the diarrea. If a cat is healthy it will arrange the giardia population and will not get sick. When a cat has diarrea, the giardia are free to attack the intestine walls.
This does mean I will have to give them as little chance possible to stay in one place. I all ready use cleaning wipes and the cats with diarrea get treatment with febendazol or metronidazole.
I have beat it before and will beat it again:rockout: