Artificial Tears Is It Necessary?

stellasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a five month old Persian cat and I was wondering if I had to put artificial tears in her eyes every day? I already do this, but sometimes it gets tedious and time consuming. My little Stella isn’t a fan of it. Do I need to give it to her every day, or is every other day okay? Her eyes are fine but they do tear a lot. She has a very flat face

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never had a Persian either. Why do you put artificial tears in her eyes? is this something your vet recommends? i am curious to the reason?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stellasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have never had a Persian either. Why do you put artificial tears in her eyes? is this something your vet recommends? i am curious to the reason?
We got her from a breeder and she came with her own food including tear drops. I have a friend that owns a cat and she doesn’t put teardrops on her cat, but then again I don’t think hers is Persian.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We got her from a breeder and she came with her own food including tear drops. I have a friend that owns a cat and she doesn’t put teardrops on her cat, but then again I don’t think hers is Persian.
I did read online a bit about this. seems some flat faced cats tend to have eye problems. the drops help with flushing out the eyes, and any irritants that may be in them. Also a gentle face wash with a warm cloth. Have you had her to the vet yet? what does she say?

It may be a bit time consuming, and im sure she does not like it. But if she needs it i would think it is best to keep up with it daily. You will get in a routine with it, so it wont seem so tedious, and she will become more accustomed to it as well. If you stop, or don't do it often she will be harder to deal with it i would think. I would ask the vet what he thinks about your cat, her eyes and the drops. As i understand some need it very much, some not.

Kat0121

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs is our resident expert on Persians. My girls are Persian but they are traditional Persians so they do not have the flat face. I have never used eye drops on them. That would go over like a fart in church. I occasionally use a warm, wet washcloth and they absolutely hate it. I don't even want to know how they would react to eye drops and do not own the suit of armor that would be needed in order to find out.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
posiepurrs posiepurrs is our resident expert on Persians. My girls are Persian but they are traditional Persians so they do not have the flat face. I have never used eye drops on them. That would go over like a fart in church. I occasionally use a warm, wet washcloth and they absolutely hate it. I don't even want to know how they would react to eye drops and do not own the suit of armor that would be needed in order to find out.
I have had a few rescue cats with eye infections that required eye drops several times a day. That would be an accurate description :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

stellasmommy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly I have had Persians for close to 30 years and I have never used eye drops. If the vet suggests it because of a problem, that is different.
Not even with flat faced Persians correct? When we got her from a breeder she came with a care guide and inside was a brochure from revival animal and she said she circled all the necessary products I need and one of them was artificial tears and she wrote daily right next to it (even though she already included teardrops as well). We just took Stella to the vet and the doctor said her eyes are fine, so I’m guessing I should stop doing this daily unless needed?

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never heard of putting drops in a persian cats eyes or any flat faced cat or dogs eyes unless there is a problem and the vet recommends it. My mom has a Himalayan who is over 20 years old and never once did that.

posiepurrs

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Not even with flat faced Persians correct? When we got her from a breeder she came with a care guide and inside was a brochure from revival animal and she said she circled all the necessary products I need and one of them was artificial tears and she wrote daily right next to it (even though she already included teardrops as well). We just took Stella to the vet and the doctor said her eyes are fine, so I’m guessing I should stop doing this daily unless needed?
Unless the vet says that the cat needs them I wouldn't use them. If there is occasional irritation not related to infection, I think it is okay to use them then. We all sometimes get something in our eyes that needs to be washed out. To prevent staining of the face, just wash the face daily with warm water and a lint free cloth to get the 'crusties'. I am no vet so this is just my opinion based on what I do that seems to work.